Author Topic: Marlins trade franchise to Blue Jays  (Read 23769 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Marlins trade franchise to Blue Jays
« Reply #250: November 19, 2012, 10:06:07 PM »
I'm beyond tired of the mixing of politics and sports on WNFF.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #251: November 20, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
Who would want to go to Florida?  You can't trust anything they say about your future!  Loria is Mitt Romney when he worked for Bain.  He buys up contracts and then has fire sales ruining the team and the community.
Had a long post about this and deleted it due to the fact this is not the place.

+1 to my maturity

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #252: November 20, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
Had a long post about this and deleted it due to the fact this is not the place.

+1 to my maturity

:gunz:

I can see you now at the Republican and/or Democrat national convention.   

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #253: November 20, 2012, 01:23:56 PM »
It really is a bait and switch situation.  You make a promise to your community and your fans that a new stadium and a team of great players will change baseball in Florida.  So you got a new stadium, you get Reyes, and Buhrle among others and they look promising.  Add bright new uniforms and a new name and your brand is complete!  Promises kept!  Then he turns around and essentially sells the farm out from under everyone.

When KMart promises a product and they don't have the product promises; they can get in legal trouble.  Why not Loria? 

Agree to the bait and switch part - Marlins signed these guys (Reyes and Buerhle) a year ago. They performed to their expectations in 2012. So, how (all of a sudden) are those contracts no longer viable?

As far as the Lerners (whether you were LAC or not), they stated upfront that they were rebuilding the team form the ground up, and that they would spend when the time was right - they stuck to their stated plan. At least they never pulled this Marlins kind of crap.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #254: November 20, 2012, 02:04:34 PM »
So no one will want to sign with the Marlins because of a couple of guys they traded who would prefer to still be Marlins?

It wasn't until the past six months that the Nats were the destination of last resort, so things can change quickly.

As I wrote earlier, I agree that Loria is a snake who only acts in the interest of his own personal greed, but analyzing this trade separate from Loria's history it looks like a fine move to me. Lots of teams that underperform would be glad to hit the reset button and clear out their large contracts, the only reason this isn't more common is the no trade clauses and the lack of teams willing to take on such massive contractual commitments.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #255: November 20, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »
How about because they sell themselves based on taxes and Miami then they traded two guys to the worst tax situation in the MLB for an American citizen that just happens to be in Canada

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #256: November 20, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »
How about because they sell themselves based on taxes and Miami then they traded two guys to the worst tax situation in the MLB for an American citizen that just happens to be in Canada

So they still sell themselves as having the Florida tax rate (and Miami nightlife), players would be a little wiser about getting no trade clauses in writing, or add bonus money to the contract in case of a trade. The old cliché holds, it's a business, players get traded all the time.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #257: November 20, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
And players learn,  hopefully the big names tell Loria to pound sand. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #258: November 20, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
players would be a little wiser about getting no trade clauses in writing,

That's all people are saying. No big time free agent is going to go play for Loria without a written NTC (something that is against their team policy) going forward.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #259: November 20, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »
No big time free agent is going to go play for Loria without a written NTC

That's overstated. There will always be mercenaries looking for the big payday who don't care where they play (or live) as long as they get the money and guaranteed years that they want. 

Josh Hamilton comes to mind.  God told him "you go sign with whatever team gives you 7 years/$175M".  So if the Marlins offer that, he won't care if there is a no trade clause.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #260: November 20, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »
That's all people are saying. No big time free agent is going to go play for Loria without a written NTC (something that is against their team policy) going forward.

The Nats had a policy against no trade clauses until the day they wanted to sign Werth and he insisted on one.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #261: November 20, 2012, 03:15:48 PM »
Werth's NTC is his contract.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #262: November 20, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
Werth's NTC is his contract.

Werth has the only no trade clause on the Nats, although I believe that Zimmm gains no trade status in 2016 via 10-5.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #263: November 20, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »
Werth has the only no trade clause on the Nats, although I believe that Zimmm gains no trade status in 2016 via 10-5.

That's scary. To imagine remembering watching draft day of 2005 hoping he'd land with us, thinking 'damn, what happens to Vinny now when he did...? now so close to 10-5? Old age beckons.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #264: November 20, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »

Zimm got a no-trade clause in his new deal, which kicks in starting with the 2014 season.

Online imref

« Reply #265: November 20, 2012, 10:55:44 PM »
That's overstated. There will always be mercenaries looking for the big payday who don't care where they play (or live) as long as they get the money and guaranteed years that they want. 

Josh Hamilton comes to mind.  God told him "you go sign with whatever team gives you 7 years/$175M".  So if the Marlins offer that, he won't care if there is a no trade clause.

and it's south beach, not kansas city or cleveland

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #266: November 21, 2012, 08:31:30 AM »
Zimm got a no-trade clause in his new deal, which kicks in starting with the 2014 season.

Who do you think we'll get for him at the 2013 deadline?

Online imref

« Reply #267: November 21, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
Who do you think we'll get for him at the 2013 deadline?

nothing, they put a poison pill in the contract that would pay him a large sum if we trade him.

We aren't trading Zimmerman.  This isn't the Marlins.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #268: November 21, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
and it's south beach, not kansas city or cleveland

except it's not south beach if you get traded immediately

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #269: November 21, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
nothing, they put a poison pill in the contract that would pay him a large sum if we trade him.

I had forgotten that, but I was just kidding.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #270: November 21, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »

Hey, Maryland is paying a poison pill of 50M to get out of the ACC. What's a few million to trade Zimmerman?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #272: November 23, 2012, 10:26:43 PM »
That would cause a diplomatic incident
Amanda Comak ‏@acomak

Davey on the Manager of the Year conference call says he wishes the #Marlins would send the HR sculpture to Toronto, too.

:crackup:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #273: November 23, 2012, 10:31:37 PM »
They'll be really pissed if they are gun nuts

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #274: December 03, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »
Nolasco now states through his agent he wants to be traded.  Also the Marlins are actively shopping Yunel Escobar.

HERE ARE YOUR 2013 MIAMI MARLINS!!!

In Center Field, leading off, the only cuban left in Miami who DIDN'T hear what Ozzie said!
Batting second, short stop, the sober guy from the Clevelander!
The three hole, playing third base, announcer Cookie Rojas!
Hitting clean up, the Giant Slayer himself, right fielder Big Giancarlo Stanton!
The left fielder, batting fifth and still on the team for some reason, the tweeting temptation, Logan Morrison!
Somehow he isn't dead yet and still plays first base, the six hole hitter, El Caballo, Carlos Lee!
Playing second base, hitting 7th, the guy who left the roof open during a rainstorm!
Number 8, from the squat, Benito Santiago!

AAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDD your opening day starter, the one and the only, KEVIN BROWN!!!!!!