Author Topic: Marlins trade franchise to Blue Jays  (Read 23784 times)

Offline NatsAddict

Re: Marlins trade franchise to Blue Jays
« Reply #375: April 16, 2013, 09:49:37 AM »
You know things are bad when Juan Pierre makes your Home Runs leader board.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #376: April 16, 2013, 10:16:56 AM »
You know things are bad when Juan Pierre makes your Home Runs leader board.
Wow... just wow.

There are 35 individual baseball players with more home runs than the Marlins.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #377: April 16, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
Wow... just wow.

There are 35 individual baseball players with more home runs than the Marlins.

Loria's happy about saving money on the electric bill by not having to activiate that awful fairy fountain very often.  I think they've gone 9 consecutive games now without a home run.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #378: April 16, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »
how long until outfield sections get covered with tarps?

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #379: April 16, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
Selig should rip the franchise from Loria and cancel all their games.  AAA teams shouldn't play in the majors.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #380: April 16, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »
Selig should rip the franchise from Loria and cancel all their games.  AAA teams shouldn't play in the majors.

+1.

I had the Marlins broadcast last night. Small crowd, and MLB insulted DC when they expanded to Miami and Tampa, but fans deserve better than what Loria is doing...and has done in Montreal and Miami.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #381: April 16, 2013, 07:20:54 PM »
The Marlins have won two World Seroes championships in the past 16 years.  I don't like how they do it but there are many teams, the Tigers included that would love to have two WS flags.  Again it is not pretty how it's been done but it has succeeded for them. 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #382: April 16, 2013, 09:48:15 PM »
The Marlins have won two World Seroes championships in the past 16 years.  I don't like how they do it but there are many teams, the Tigers included that would love to have two WS flags.  Again it is not pretty how it's been done but it has succeeded for them. 
They haven't had any notable success since that last Series win though and their penny-pinching ways have gotten worse and worse to the point of what could easily be considered fraud.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #383: April 16, 2013, 09:59:22 PM »
They had the 7th highest payroll last year and that's penny-pinching?  They were a long way out of the running for the playoffs but it wasn't because they didn't have quality players.  Those quality players played like they didn't want to be there. 

Would you spend $118,000,000 to end up in last place or would you rather spend $32,000,000 and finish last?  No brainier to me. 

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #384: April 16, 2013, 10:13:03 PM »
They had the 7th highest payroll last year and that's penny-pinching?  They were a long way out of the running for the playoffs but it wasn't because they didn't have quality players.  Those quality players played like they didn't want to be there. 

Would you spend $118,000,000 to end up in last place or would you rather spend $32,000,000 and finish last?  No brainier to me. 

Actually, it was 18th at just under $90 million.  Nats were 16th at under $97 million.  Both well under the average of about $105 million.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/21406489/final-payrolls-for-2012-released-for-all-30-teams

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #385: April 16, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »
Gotcha, here's where I got my info: http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/baseball/mlb/salaries/team

Probably a per-season or mid/season report? 

My point remains valid.  Spend $90 million to suck or $32 million to end up in the same spot?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #386: April 16, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »
At what point does this thread become one where both the Marlins AND Blue Jays are mocked?  The Blue Jays will have risible attendance and all the trappings of massive disappointment in September if their plan doesn't work out.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #387: April 16, 2013, 10:29:48 PM »
You have to kind of feel for the Jays.  Playing in a division with the Evil Empire, BoSox and recently the Rays you either settle for mediocre years or try and make a splash.  Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.   

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #388: April 16, 2013, 11:29:35 PM »
I hate to admit it, but......

I really like Marlins Stadium (other than the home run thing) and I think their uniforms are cool. All very unique. Really want to see that franchise succeed.

MLB needs to get that franchise out of Loria's hands as soon as possible.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #389: April 17, 2013, 12:37:53 AM »
Blue Jays have a much healthier prognosis than the Marlins.  Once upon a time, just about everyone in Canada outside of Ontario rooted for the Expos...now some are Nats fans, but the great majority of Canadian baseball fans root for the Jays.  That's a pretty huge fanbase, even if it is distributed over a huge geographic area. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #390: April 17, 2013, 08:24:34 AM »
I hate to admit it, but......

I really like Marlins Stadium (other than the home run thing) and I think their uniforms are cool. All very unique. Really want to see that franchise succeed.

MLB needs to get that franchise out of Loria's hands as soon as possible.

i went to a game there last year, it's a funky stadium, very spacious.  You have to spend time in Miami to appreciate the art-deco theme I think.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #391: April 17, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
Gotcha, here's where I got my info: http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/baseball/mlb/salaries/team

Probably a per-season or mid/season report? 

My point remains valid.  Spend $90 million to suck or $32 million to end up in the same spot?

My guess would be a very poorly researched pre-season.  Nunez wasn't even Nunez, he was Oviedo, not eligible to even get paid since late in the 2011 season when his Visa became void due to his false identity and he was sent back to the DR.  He and his "world class change-up" weren't even in the country.  The Marlins maintained rights, but never paid him a dime as when he finally got the Visa issues cleared up, he had injured his elbow while not under contract, so Loria kept the rights without ever calling him up and thus having to pay the contract.  The Marlins traded away much of those salaries mid-season once MLB confirmed that Loria would, for revenue sharing purposes, be allowed to write off all stadium cost, included those not even yet realized, over 7 years and not have to put a competitive product on the field.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #392: April 17, 2013, 09:03:01 AM »
Perhaps the greatest example of Loria cheapness:  When Anibal Sanchez injured his rotator cuff, Loria sent him down and then immediately had him put on the DL where he only had to pay him the MiLB minimum rather than the MLB minimum.  Sanchez later won his MLB salary in appeal.  Also, with moves, and the way they work with call ups and sent downs, Loria spends much of the season paying only 24 players. He and Beinfest can burn through options like nobody else.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #393: April 17, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »
'He'd go to the safe to get you a nickel change'

- Hall of Famer Enos 'Country' Slaughter on then-Cardinals exec Branch Rickey...applicable to Loria too?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #394: April 17, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
Not really cheapness, but rather more of a show of lack of respect for the history of the team, the following is from what was, at the time (2011) the Marlins main offices at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter (I work there once the NCAA season is complete).  Note the "No Hitters:"

Al Leiter, perhaps even on the day he had his no hitter
Anibal Sanchez, that was the day of his no hitter
Dontrelle Willis????
AJ Burnett, who threw his against the Padres, not the Cubs as pictured

The problem is Willis never threw a no hitter.  Kevin Brown did, but Loria and Co are completely ignorant and unappreciative of the team's history.  I told them of the mistake, and a few days later they took Willis down and put Kevin Brown up.  Then I had them add Willis' picture over to Rookies of the Year along with Hanley and Coghlan as they didn't remember Willis being ROY even though that, too, happened during their tenure.

In short, Loria simply doesn't give a damn.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #395: April 17, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
they do have a really cool bobblehead museum in the concourse, with one of every bobblehead that every team has ever issued.

• babble on
« Reply #397: April 18, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »
The only owner in all of professional sports who is capable of making Dan Snyder look good.   

Offline blue911

« Reply #398: April 18, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »
The only owner in all of professional sports who is capable of making Dan Snyder look good.   

Marge trolls your post.

• babble on
« Reply #399: April 18, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »
Heil!