Author Topic: Marlins trade franchise to Blue Jays  (Read 23763 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022

Offline PC

Re: Marlins trade franchise to Blue Jays
« Reply #127: November 14, 2012, 12:09:14 AM »
Marlins' owner rips team, and city, apart with despicable trade and must be stopped
By Scott Miller | Senior Baseball Columnist

Now we know, unequivocally. Ozzie Guillen is the fortunate one.

So is Heath Bell. And, now, Josh Johnson. And Mark Buehrle. And Jose Reyes. And every other player who has left or is leaving that godforsaken hellhole of what somehow passes for a baseball outpost in Miami.

This time next year, only things left will be tumbleweeds, cockroaches and Jeffrey Loria.

Even by Marlins standards, the 12-player monster trade with Toronto is a despicable disgrace.

And it is an utter shame, because baseball long ago should have called the exterminators to eliminate Loria from its landscape. Where’s contraction when we really need it?

Loria’s Marlins soaked the taxpayers for some 80 percent of the cost of new Marlins Park. By the time it opened in 2012, some $2.4 billion in debt service was strapped onto the backs of taxpayers. Talk about publicly funded.

It was one thing when this band of liars the players’ union once slapped for pocketing revenue sharing money and not spending enough on, you know, players, promised to change its ways once the new park was in place.

It was one thing when Loria and his little henchman David Samson swaggered into that New York tavern at 12:01 a.m. last November on the first day clubs could negotiate with free agents and made a big show for Jose Reyes.

It is quite another thing when one year later Loria and Co. are shipping Reyes -- and everyone else they signed last winter -- across international borders in some sort of twisted joke that even the World Trade Organization surely will condemn in coming days.

The flea-market Marlins have a history of running fire sales, garage sales, rummage sales, blue-light, half-yearly sales, Jeffrey Loria Needs a New Picture Frame sale and every other sort of sale you can name.

But not when they’ve got a brand-new, mostly-taxpayer-funded, gleaming new monolith sitting in their backyard.

Before, fire sales were the byproduct of running a ballclub recklessly and irresponsibly.

Now? Even the corporate raiders and cowboy swindlers on anything-goes Wall Street would wind up with hard time operating a bait-and-switch like this.

Loria, he winds up with fistfuls of cash and bad art in his outfield.

Remember how brash the Marlins were at the winter meetings last December? Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Heath Bell … hell, they even took a hard run at Albert Pujols. They committed $191 million to those three free agents and said there was more where that came from.

Now we know why they have an organizational policy against no-trade clauses.

Gee, whom do you think the next high-profile free agent will be to sign for 100 square miles of Florida swampland?

This is what club president/assistant snake oil salesman Samson said last December as the Marlins were signing Reyes, Buehrle and Bell: “Three years ago, looking ahead to this free-agent class, to our new ballpark, we made a decision not to wait for the excitement, but to bring the excitement to our fans.

“It was the perfect storm for our philosophy.”

These guys don’t even have the decency to allow a full year to pass before revealing even further that their only philosophy is lying and deceiving.

Here is what president of “baseball operations” Larry Beinfest said last month upon firing Guillen: “Our hope is that a new manager, along with roster improvements, will restore a winning culture.”

Only culture the Marlins have is the kind you swab, put on a Petri dish, place under a microscope and look for contagious bacteria. Mike Redmond just signed to manage in baseball’s sewage system, is what he did.

Already, even before this sham of a deal is announced with the Blue Jays, the reviews are roasting.

Tweeted Giancarlo Stanton (@Giancarlo818): “Alright, I’m pissed off!!! Plan & Simple.”

In a classic response via Twitter, Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper messaged Stanton: “@Giancarlo818: you can always come play for the Nats! We will take you anytime! Get some red, white, and blue!”

Clown franchise, bro. Clown franchise.

The Marlins ran their payroll up to a club-record $100 million in 2012. After trading Hanley Ramirez (Dodgers), Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante (Tigers), Edward Mujica (Cardinals), Bell (Diamondbacks) and, now, Reyes, Buehrle and Josh Johnson (Blue Jays), they’re down to around $16 million before arbitration for 2013.

In Reyes (six years, $106 million) and Buehrle (four-years, $58 million), the Marlins are shipping to Toronto two marquee free agents who had made good-faith commitments to them, given the absence of no-trade clauses.

In Miami, there is no good faith.

There only is a new shortstop, Yunel Escobar, best-known for wearing a gay slur on his eyeblack in September.

What we’ll hear from the Marlins con men is all sorts of sonnets to the prospects they’re receiving from the Jays, but don’t buy it. Sure, of the seven players headed to Miami, three were ranked among Baseball America’s top 10 Blue Jays prospects (starter Henderson Alvarez, shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria and outfielder Jake Marisnick).

But at this time, in this place, after last winter and with a taxpayer-funded ballpark, this blight on the game of a franchise should be about the now, not the future.

This didn’t have to happen. It shouldn’t have happened.

And whether it’s by Commissioner Bud Selig, the Securities and Exchange Commission or Secret Agent Man, the swindler Loria must be stopped.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/20972787/marlins-owner-rips-team-and-city-apart-with-despicable-trade-and-must-be-stopped

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #128: November 14, 2012, 01:24:05 AM »
Wow.  Just, wow. 

I can't....put this into words....but if I had to...I feel BAD for Marlins fans.

What an effing joke! 

Offline Coladar

« Reply #129: November 14, 2012, 04:16:51 AM »
Uhh... Okay. Folks saying MLB should block this - I agree. But is there any precedent at all to do so? This is bad for the sport, but a trade is a trade, would make for tricky waters in future deals when is 'too much.'

Loria is a joke. Any league and commissioner who lets him freak the Expos, get the Marlins as reward then freak the Marlins raw prolly doesn't care too much what he does.

Comical. Dolphins stadium was so empty even ghosts avoided the place. They rape the taxpayers for billions to fund a park with the least masculine, 'fairy' decorations in pro sports. Then do this. They'll be lucky to have even the players families show up for 2013.

First Loria. Then they get the Ozzie Guillen show for a year. Now this.

When I read the story at first, I laughed and thought awesome! As a Nats fan, they are in our division and have had our number. Now we have an extra 15 or so wins guaranteed. But as a fan of baseball, this crap makes me weep and hope Loria gets run over by the crazy pregnant AZ wife. There is no single worse human being for any professional sport in the world, and I say that as someone who Snyder has driven from even knowing if the Redskins still play. God what a ****sucker. Anyone brandying LAC in the future better remember this jerk and how much worse an owner can get.

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #130: November 14, 2012, 05:14:37 AM »
Trade Giancarlo to Cleveland!  Plug him into LF!

Wouldn't be a bad OF with Stanton, Brantley, and Choo.  And should they trade Choo, they should sign Jason Bay or Melky Cabrera.  Would still be a nice OF.  Much better than having Shelley Duncan, Aaron Cunningham, or Brent Lillibridge in the OF

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #131: November 14, 2012, 07:23:51 AM »
Obama needs to send in the Marines. #FreeStanton

:clap:

Sanity.

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #132: November 14, 2012, 07:25:47 AM »
BTDUBS, I love the double standard around here, it's perfectly acceptable to call Jeff Loria and his henchmen cheap and greedy (which they definitely are both) but you label the Lerners as such and donks start talking permabans and calling you Henry Ford.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #133: November 14, 2012, 07:53:16 AM »
That's only one person.

Also. BGS changed his Twitter photo from him wearing a Marlins jersey to him wearing a black shirt. Hopefully he gets his wish sooner rather than later.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #134: November 14, 2012, 07:55:32 AM »
BTDUBS, I love the double standard around here, it's perfectly acceptable to call Jeff Loria and his henchmen cheap and greedy (which they definitely are both) but you label the Lerners as such and donks start talking permabans and calling you Henry Ford.

Have you really any comparison?  What the Lerners did to us a couple of years ago pales in comparison to what Loria just did.  If we sell off usable parts for cash then I'll call the LAC and join.

We didn't even come close to having the kind of talent the Marlins had and then sell them all off.  It's not close and you're an idiot for attempting to compare the situations.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #135: November 14, 2012, 08:00:09 AM »
That's only one person.

Also. BGS changed his Twitter photo from him wearing a Marlins jersey to him wearing a black shirt. Hopefully he gets his wish sooner rather than later.

Damn. I feel bad for the guy. I'd feel bad for anyone that gets put in this situation, like Nolasco and the other group of guys I don't know. Hell, even the fans. Loria and co. are idiots.

Trade Stanton already.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #136: November 14, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
I feel bad for Stanton, but I feel REALLY bad for Jacob Turner, Adeiny Hechavarria, Justin Nicolino, and the other poor young kids who got themselves unwillingly tossed into a con operation.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #137: November 14, 2012, 08:44:53 AM »
Another issue is that after this deal, every team in the league will be calling Miami about Stanton. We'd be competing against everyone else to get him, which would also up the price.

...but might also increase the chances of his getting to an American League (or at least non-NL East) club.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #138: November 14, 2012, 08:47:33 AM »
I feel bad for Stanton, but I feel REALLY bad for Jacob Turner, Adeiny Hechavarria, Justin Nicolino, and the other poor young kids who got themselves unwillingly tossed into a con operation.

there's one aspect to this deal that i haven't heard anyone discuss yet - sorry if i missed it, but if you are a young rich guy, there are few better places in this country to play than Miami.   Guys like Reyes and Bonafacio are going to hate life in Toronto compared to South Beach.  And I'd be curious to understand the tax implications on them from this deal (no state income tax in Florida).  The guys coming to Miami are going to love life outside the ballpark, while the guys who just left aren't going to be very happy in Toronto (IMHO).

Online imref

« Reply #139: November 14, 2012, 08:49:06 AM »
Uhh... Okay. Folks saying MLB should block this - I agree. But is there any precedent at all to do so? This is bad for the sport, but a trade is a trade, would make for tricky waters in future deals when is 'too much.'

the only example I can think of was in the NBA when the league vetoed the trade that would have sent CP to the Lakers. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #140: November 14, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »
I haven't been to Toronto before... But what I understand of it, is that it's a wonderful place to live with quite the night life.

Obviously it's not Miami... But it's not Cleveland, either.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #141: November 14, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »
I disagree; I love Toronto. It's cold as hell until May and in October, but it's a hopping place with lots of sweet stuff. It would be worse if they were being traded somewhere like Cleveland.

But I'm with you on the stuff about Miami being awesome for young rich people, and the tax thing. The tax thing is likely why these guys (Bell, Buehrle, Reyes) considered signing in Florida in the first place - it's a built-in bonus.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #142: November 14, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »

because any fool can see that the Lerners are every bit as cheap and greedy as Loria.

Online imref

« Reply #143: November 14, 2012, 08:56:17 AM »
I haven't been to Toronto before... But what I understand of it, is that it's a wonderful place to live with quite the night life.

Obviously it's not Miami... But it's not Cleveland, either.

I've been to Toronto a few times, it's a very nice city, with a really cool underground.  But it's not Miami Beach, not even close, especially for the 20-somethings with cash.  And the winters are going to suck.

Online imref

« Reply #144: November 14, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
because any fool can see that the Lerners are every bit as cheap and greedy as Loria.

How can you even make that comparison?  We're building a winning club here, we're paying our players, we're signing big name free agents or trading for top-flight guys and then extending them.  We're granting no-trade clauses.  This is the equivalent of traded Zimmerman, Werth, J-Z and Gio for a bunch of prospects.

Let's keep the LAC garbage out of this thread, we've got enough of it on other threads.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #145: November 14, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
Bahahahaha Linty and I both picked Cleveland as our place Toronto is better than.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #146: November 14, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »
I'm not so sure this is such a horrible move for the Marlins. Buehrle and arguably Reyes were overpaid. They get to dump those contracts before they become truly burdensome, and get prospects in return.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #147: November 14, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

File the preceding away somewhere - it will be the last time you see the Marlins finishing in the upper half of MLB in attendance (reported as percentage of ground capacity sold).

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #148: November 14, 2012, 09:07:50 AM »
I'm not so sure this is such a horrible move for the Marlins. Buehrle and arguably Reyes were overpaid. They get to dump those contracts before they become truly burdensome, and get prospects in return.

Ok but they're contracts they themselves created less than a year ago.  No matter how you cut it, it's either a bad move now or then or a shameless plug for a new stadium. (Probably all three). 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #149: November 14, 2012, 09:12:28 AM »
the only example I can think of was in the NBA when the league vetoed the trade that would have sent CP to the Lakers. 

Bowie Kuhn disallowed a move by the As to sell off players.  He invoked the "Best Interest of Baseball" clause.  This is a somewhat different, yet somewhat similar situation.   Selig could nix the deal, if he wanted to, by invoking that clause.   But he won't.