Author Topic: Gold Gloves  (Read 1220 times)

Offline bshep86

• Thank you Davey!
Gold Gloves
« Topic Start: October 30, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »
Congrats to Adam LaRoche for winning his first gold glove.

Thoughts on Desmond getting beat out by Rollins?

Offline NatsTheFats

Re: Gold Gloves
« Reply #1: October 30, 2012, 10:32:39 PM »
Desmond will have another shot next year.  Rollins was grandfathered in to the award...

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2: October 30, 2012, 10:35:41 PM »
More money for Adam, that's my thought.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• Show me Otani
« Reply #3: October 30, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
why were there 4 finalists for NL SS when every other position only had 3 finalists.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• Show me Otani
« Reply #4: October 30, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »
Also how can they give out ties? 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #5: October 30, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »
Neither deserved it. Should have gone to Barmes or Crawford.

Offline Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #6: October 30, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »
So does the nomination of Desmond for a Gold Glove stop the crybabies on this board that complain about Desmond's fielding ?

Offline DPMOmaha

• Take two of these 30 minutes before first pitch.
« Reply #7: October 30, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
So does the nomination of Desmond for a Gold Glove stop the crybabies on this board that complain about Desmond's fielding ?

:lmao:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #8: October 30, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »

It's a sham award as evidenced by Trout not winning

Offline bshep86

• Thank you Davey!
« Reply #9: October 30, 2012, 10:56:52 PM »

We all know baseball voting is sham at every level. There was no reason Roberto Alomar shouldn't have gotten into the HoF the first time, but people didn't want him to be a first ballot HoFer because of one incident in his career...

But it's the system we have...

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #10: October 30, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »

It's not as though Adam Jones is an undeserving candidate though. I'm not suggesting that Trout didn't deserve it mind you, just saying that Jones is worthy.

Offline DPMOmaha

• Take two of these 30 minutes before first pitch.
« Reply #11: October 30, 2012, 11:47:59 PM »
#SIGNADAM!

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #12: October 31, 2012, 12:47:58 AM »

Offline Ray D

« Reply #13: October 31, 2012, 08:23:36 AM »

No, the nomination has nothing to do with it. The reason we stopped complaining is that he started fielding.  He stunk as a shortstop, then he got good.  It happens.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #14: October 31, 2012, 08:52:52 AM »
I'm usually a critic of Desmond's defense, but this year he was not a negative defensively.   Rollins and Desmond were there for offense and team profile, which is why Barmes wasn't.  among Cozart, Desmond, and Rollins, the latter two had equal credibility.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #15: October 31, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »

:crackup:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #16: October 31, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
Of the major awards, the Gold Glove is probably the the one that is most decoupled from what it is supposed to measure. The Gold Glove is supposed to mean you are the best defender at your position, but it actually means one of the following things:

(1) You are highly regarded as an offensive player, and are a competent defender (Jeter)
(2) You or your team had a good season offensively, and you didn't make any major errors (hello Adam Jones)
(3) You made a really flashy play that made SportsCenter (I love Mark Buehrle, but the guy has won 2 gold gloves mostly because of one spectacular throw to first base he made this one time)

The award is also really "sticky": if you win it once, you'll probably win it again. Lots of people seem to vote for whoever won it last year.

I'd like to say that this is because we don't have a good way of measuring defense, but let's face it: we have good ways of measuring many other things in baseball, and the people voting for awards don't make use of it either.

If somebody has to win this phony award, it may as well be players on teams I like, so I'm really happy for Adam, but this is the Mayor of Meaningless Award Town.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #17: October 31, 2012, 02:04:55 PM »
It's not as though Adam Jones is an undeserving candidate though. I'm not suggesting that Trout didn't deserve it mind you, just saying that Jones is worthy.

He's an undeserving candidate. Trout, Span, and Jackson were all superior in CF.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #18: October 31, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »
Oh, and I'm officially calling it now that Trout not getting the GG is a conspiracy to get Cabrera the MVP.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: October 31, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »
Of the major awards, the Gold Glove is probably the the one that is most decoupled from what it is supposed to measure. The Gold Glove is supposed to mean you are the best defender at your position, but it actually means one of the following things:

(1) You are highly regarded as an offensive player, and are a competent defender (Jeter)
(2) You or your team had a good season offensively, and you didn't make any major errors (hello Adam Jones)
(3) You made a really flashy play that made SportsCenter (I love Mark Buehrle, but the guy has won 2 gold gloves mostly because of one spectacular throw to first base he made this one time)

The award is also really "sticky": if you win it once, you'll probably win it again. Lots of people seem to vote for whoever won it last year.

I'd like to say that this is because we don't have a good way of measuring defense, but let's face it: we have good ways of measuring many other things in baseball, and the people voting for awards don't make use of it either.

If somebody has to win this phony award, it may as well be players on teams I like, so I'm really happy for Adam, but this is the Mayor of Meaningless Award Town.

Your team improved, so we realized you exist and want to note it (LaRoche)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #20: October 31, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
Your team improved, so we realized you exist and want to note it (LaRoche)

The difference is that Laroche was actually good and Votto was out for half the season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: October 31, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »
The difference is that Laroche was actually good and Votto was out for half the season.

that's fine, but LaRoche has always been good, to the extent that you buy fielding metrics for a first baseman, 2007 was his best year defensively

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #22: October 31, 2012, 02:32:02 PM »
Gold Gloves are a Travisshamockery

A lot of the "winners" don't even belong in the conversation - ALR most certainly does however and his Gold Glove is certainly well deserved

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: October 31, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
Gold Gloves are a Travisshamockery

A lot of the "winners" don't even belong in the conversation - ALR most certainly does however and his Gold Glove is certainly well deserved

I totally agree, but I also think if he was either a pirate or if we had only won 80 games, he wouldn't have won

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #24: October 31, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »
I totally agree, but I also think if he was either a pirate or if we had only won 80 games, he wouldn't have won

Meh - not so sure about that. Who else was even deserving? Ryan won when we sucked Donkey Balls afterall - I think with ALR's huge bounce-back season, he would have gotten it regardless of our record