Author Topic: Is RZ "Injury Prone"  (Read 2402 times)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: Is RZ "Injury Prone"
« Reply #25: October 31, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #26: November 04, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »
At this point, I would say the answer is yes. It doesn't matter whether a guy plays through injury. He is injured nevertheless. But what it is called doesn't matter as much as what the impact is. At this point I would say that unless there is something significant that changes his physical condition, he can remain elite with the glove, but forget any GG awards at 3B going forward with the unreliable, lolly pop arm. He looks like a guy that will be at 3B for another year (or two max) and then become one of the best fielding 1B in the league.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #27: November 05, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »
At this point, I would say the answer is yes. It doesn't matter whether a guy plays through injury. He is injured nevertheless. But what it is called doesn't matter as much as what the impact is. At this point I would say that unless there is something significant that changes his physical condition, he can remain elite with the glove, but forget any GG awards at 3B going forward with the unreliable, lolly pop arm. He looks like a guy that will be at 3B for another year (or two max) and then become one of the best fielding 1B in the league.

After watching the AFL Rising Stars game, even though I didn't get to see Rendon field, I'm starting to think that this is what the Nats will do.  Rendon looks like he will rake at 3B and sounds like his defense is top notch.  Probably why they haven't forced him off of third yet.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #28: November 05, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »
That projects as a 2014 with Goodwin cf, Rendon 3B, Zim 1B, Harper RF, Werth LF, Desmond SS, Espinoza 2B, Ramos C.

Leaves you with two lefties and a switch hitter.
Not grossly right heavy, but less balanced than some would prefer.
I think Harper can electrify from 4 the way he does from 2, and I think Rendon will profile better there.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #29: November 05, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
That projects as a 2014 with Goodwin cf, Rendon 3B, Zim 1B, Harper RF, Werth LF, Desmond SS, Espinoza 2B, Ramos C.

Leaves you with two lefties and a switch hitter.
Not grossly right heavy, but less balanced than some would prefer.
I think Harper can electrify from 4 the way he does from 2, and I think Rendon will profile better there.

I'd go Goodwin, Werth, Rendon, Harper, Zimm, Desmond, Espinosa, Ramos

I like werth's on base skills up at the top of the lineup and it would be a better use of Rendon's hitting ability to put him in a position where he can drive in runs.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #30: November 05, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »
If this is what they are thinking, and I don't have any qualms with ZDK's ordering, makes sense, then this would suggest they are going to stick hard to the 2 year offer to ALR, knowing it won't float, and don't plan to do much with Morse past 2013.  It also looks like that leaves Moore and Lombo being carreer bench guys. In Lombo's case I see it, Moore not so much.

Of Course, depending on how he ages, Werth may just end up being the most expensive 4th OF in the league while T-Mo plays.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #31: November 05, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
I can't believe ALR will get three years somewhere.

I mean, I know someone will offer that, but that's just crazy to me.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #32: November 05, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »
If this is what they are thinking, and I don't have any qualms with ZDK's ordering, makes sense, then this would suggest they are going to stick hard to the 2 year offer to ALR, knowing it won't float, and don't plan to do much with Morse past 2013.  It also looks like that leaves Moore and Lombo being carreer bench guys. In Lombo's case I see it, Moore not so much.

Of Course, depending on how he ages, Werth may just end up being the most expensive 4th OF in the league while T-Mo plays.

Even if Zim stays at 3B his entire career and T-Mo becomes the de facto 1B of the future, you end up having to let someone go.  Barring a trade, the Nats are very aware that 2014 will likely be Werth/Goodwin/Harper from left to right and Rendon starts somewhere in the infield.  I don't see Desmond going anywhere and Espinosa is the easy candidate for replacement by Rendon.  That is an ENTIRELY right handed infield with two lefty outfielders.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #33: November 05, 2012, 12:45:39 PM »
I'd go Goodwin, Werth, Rendon, Harper, Zimm, Desmond, Espinosa, Ramos

I like werth's on base skills up at the top of the lineup and it would be a better use of Rendon's hitting ability to put him in a position where he can drive in runs.

Goodwin, Werth, Zim, Harper, Rendon, Desmond, Espinosa, Ramos.  L-R-R-L-R-R-S-R.  I don't bat Rendon 3rd until he usurps Zim.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #34: November 05, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
I don't bat Rendon 3rd until he usurps Zim.

which he should eventually.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #35: November 05, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »
which he should eventually.

If he pans out to what the scouting reports say he will, you are right.  Kid will probably win a batting title or two.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #36: November 06, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »

I love Morse, and like him in the everyday lineup. He can also produce off the bench, but he is too valuable a hitter to keep out of a lineup. This is why I believe he will be traded at some point before the end of next year, and likely to an AL team. With his bat, injury history, and serviceable versatility in the field, he fits the role of DHs in an era with more inter-league play. And Rizzo probably feels the yield for him in a trade now will bring the most it ever will.