31 (22.8%)
Ditched Completely
12 (8.8%)
Trade to Team Looking for MI
34 (25%)
DL, surgery or rest, then a month rehab in Syracuse
11 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: The Espinosa Question: What should happen with him?  (Read 43940 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: The Espinosa Question
« Reply #50: October 30, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »
Espinosa struckout 189 times in 2012. He struckout about 160 or more in 2011, and I thought that was a max, but he exceeded 2011. He has been a dead K hitter since he arrived in September 2010.

Yes, give him half a season to prove that he has learned better. Then it's Lombo-time.

A story Frank Howard tells about himself. Howard went to the all-star game one year, a year when Hondo had about 45 homers, and saw Hank Aaron. "How do you do it, Hammerin Hank?"

Aaron showed Howard his bat. "I hit it there", he said, and pointed to a mark abut the size of a quarter, the only mark on the bat.

"My bat had scuffs all up and down", said Howard. "Aaron hit the ball square on the nose every single time. That's why he's in the Hall."

Espinosa must have scuffs all over, just like Hondo's bat, but Hondo could hit a line-drive so hard hat it would carry a SS's glove into LF. Pitchers would throw and duck. Howard hit the ball 500 feet.  And Frank Howard was among the biggest and strongest players of his time: 6 foot 7, 260 - 280 pounds, all muscle.  Espi is not built like Howard, or even Morse ("mini Hondo). He tries to swing like Bryce Harper, who is bigger and stronger.

If Espi just hits like he should -- meet he ball, don't pound dirt in the outside batter's box, he could be fine.

Otherwise, Lombo plays smart. He hits the way he should, given his strength, and he connects. Espine is a great fielder, but Lombo is plenty good enough.

I'd still take Espi everyday over Lombo as a starter. Lombo is a damn near perfect utility guy, but everyday? I don't know about that. Espi has power and elite defensive tools not to mention being a base stealing threat. Like I said, Espi deserves every bit of the shot Desi got. He'll probably always be a high K player, but if he gets the average up and shows a little more patience at the plate, he's the superior player.