Author Topic: Hope Gio learned something from Giants about pitching with a lead in playoffs  (Read 866 times)

Offline bgbg

Nationals players probably didn't want to watch the Giants-Cardinals series. But I hope Gio did and observed how well SF pitchers pitched with a big lead in the playoffs in Games 5-7.

Offline heeman82

• Get some.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Offline heeman82

• Get some.
Weakest first post of all time?

Welcome.

My first post was, "Willie Harris rules."

Offline NatsTheFats

I can now watch the WS and enjoy every minute.   I'm cheering for the Tigers, but I dont really care who wins...

I'm very glad that the Cards lost and am especially glad that they lost the way that they did. 

Eat crow....

Offline bgbg

Yeah, well, I didn't want to overdo it on the first post. It's just I haven't seen anything on the contrast between how the Giants pitchers pitched with confidence with a lead against the Cards in Games 5-7 and how nervous Gio was pitching.
It's just another reminder of a missed opportunity. Had Gio been more confident and not started walking people again, or Davey found a pitcher who could throw strikes and get people out, I think it would be the Nats facing the Tigers in the WS.

Offline NatsTheFats

Welcome to the forum Mr. bgbg (what ever that means).

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Nationals players probably didn't want to watch the Giants-Cardinals series. But I hope Gio did and observed how well SF pitchers pitched with a big lead in the playoffs in Games 5-7.

Gee, Matt Cain doesn't have vastly more experience at these sorts of things or anything? :roll:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

:clap:

Offline aussienatsfan

well i don't really think it was neccesarily a nice way to open your first post on the boards, but I do agree with the premise. Gio is a great pitcher, but he is still learning and had never pitched in that situation before.

I am still devastated with what happened and have barely watched/listened consumed any baseball since  - in fact this is my first  day back on the boards as i needed a bit of time to get over the pain.

But i do however agree with the premis of the OP, walking guys, trying to paint the black with a huge lead isn't required, just challenge them, his HR rate was ridiculously low all year so just challenge guys, throw strikes and we likely win.

As great as our season was, and as badly as it ended, in my heart i thought we might have been a year early in terms of being a WS contender. 

Offline DPMOmaha

I'd imagine he learned more form pitching in the playoffs than he did from watching others pitching in the playoffs.  He's had a lot of experience watching other pitchers pitch in the post season, but there's no replacement for the real thing.

Offline WerthHisWeight

I'd imagine he learned more form pitching in the playoffs than he did from watching others pitching in the playoffs.  He's had a lot of experience watching other pitchers pitch in the post season, but there's no replacement for the real thing.

While I understand the OP's point, this is also very true.  Gio just can't use the excuse that it wasn't possible to keep the Cards off the board.  The Giants obviously proved that wrong.

Offline cowpunk

• schadenfreude
I can now watch the WS and enjoy every minute.   I'm cheering for the Tigers, but I dont really care who wins...

I'm very glad that the Cards lost and am especially glad that they lost the way that they did. 

Eat crow....

+1
I also thought the bizarre broken bat thrice-hit three-run double by Pence was the baseball gods dishing out karma for that infield fly rule.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• Nats hitters = Maggie Lizer
Gee, Matt Cain doesn't have vastly more experience at these sorts of things or anything? :roll:

Livan Hernandez did it when he was like 20.  I don't want any excuses.

Online blue911

Livan got a little help from the umpires.

Offline DPMOmaha

Livan got a little help from the umpires.

May he rest in peace...

Offline DPMOmaha

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)

he's just being PALernersFan 8)

in all seriousness, this experience should help the club next year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?

Oh, ok.  I'm too young to even remember the umpire. :lol: I thought you meant Livo.

Offline DPMOmaha

Oh, ok.  I'm too young to even remember the umpire. :lol: I thought you meant Livo.
Nah, we would have had a thread for that...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?

Don't let the trolls discourage you from posting.

Welcome.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

Livo was "officially" 22 that season, and probably a few years older. While he was 2-0 in WS action, he also put up a 5.27 ERA in his 2 starts.

Offline bgbg

While I understand the OP's point, this is also very true.  Gio just can't use the excuse that it wasn't possible to keep the Cards off the board.  The Giants obviously proved that wrong.

Exactly, that's my main point. I don't mean to get down on Gio, but it's weird that his postseason was shaky when he had an excellent September as he took over the role as the pitching staff's "ace." He was 4-1 in Sept. with a 1.74 ERA with only 13 walks and 31 Ks in 31 innings.
Then in his two outings against the Cards in the NLDS, Gio's era ballooned to 4.50 and he had more walks [11] than ks [10] in 10 innings.
He is young at 27, but Cain is only one year older though has more playoff experience. Vogelsong, who is also in his first playoff experience this season, Cain and Zito all stepped up and improved upon their regular season stats when the Giants needed them most.