Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50776 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #275: November 03, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »
LaRoche is going to get stupid money in FA.

and I mean every definition of the word "stupid".

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #276: November 03, 2012, 11:52:41 PM »
Keep both, don't sign a  CF

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #277: November 04, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
As for LaRoche, the Nationals to this point have been reluctant to offer him more than two years, according to major-league sources.

A longer deal would preclude them from eventually moving Ryan Zimmerman to first once top prospect Anthony Rendon is ready at third.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #278: November 04, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
Good. He's not going to hold up over three years. Two years max.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #279: November 04, 2012, 10:05:36 PM »
Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche's decision regarding his free agency may greatly impact Washington's course of action this offseason, especially with left fielder Michael Morse.

no duh.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #280: November 06, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »
Happy birthday LaRoche! 33 years old.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #281: November 07, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »
I hope he gets a chin for his birthday.  :lol:

Happy birthday!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #282: November 07, 2012, 05:02:05 PM »
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2773918

another fanbase's take on what it would take to get morse.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #283: November 07, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2773918

another fanbase's take on what it would take to get morse.

Nice insight.  Any other boards like this on Morse? 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #284: November 07, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »
Nice insight.  Any other boards like this on Morse? 

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?p=24223867

here's some clown suggesting a morse for ellsbury+ trade and then getting ripped by the rest of the forum.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #285: November 07, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »
here's some clown suggesting a morse for ellsbury+ trade and then getting ripped by the rest of the forum.

I think the poster who ripped him missed the point.  The suggestion was Morse along with a B+ prospect.  That's alot different than just Morse.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #286: November 07, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »
Who at this point believes Rizzo will extend a deal that ALR will accept?  I for one think it's over.  May be for the best if Rendon and Goodwin are ready by 2014 and Zimm has to move to 1st.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #287: November 07, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »
Jon Morosi‏@jonmorosi

Sources: #Rangers, #RedSox pursuing Adam LaRoche. He is expected to reject #Nats qualifier. Story here: http://on-msn.com/STcZRI 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #288: November 07, 2012, 10:40:05 PM »
this is starting to suck.  Sign the freaking guy already, please do not let this turn into another Adam Dunn (though I agreed with letting dunn walk).

Maybe they really are thinking that Rendon comes up and Zimmerman moves to 1st?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #289: November 08, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »
Would anyone be satisfied with a Tracy / Moore

<----------------

or Morse at 1st and either a trade for a higher end OF like Justin Upton or perhaps a quality fill in like Shin-Soo Choo or Kubel?

The idea behind Choo /Kubel / Morse is to use the last year or two of their team control to hold a place for Rendon and/ or Goodwin, while Upton would be a permanent piece for which we'd likely have to give up Goodwin as a starting point.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #290: November 08, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
this is starting to suck.  Sign the freaking guy already, please do not let this turn into another Adam Dunn (though I agreed with letting dunn walk).

Maybe they really are thinking that Rendon comes up and Zimmerman moves to 1st?

ALR would be insane not to listen to offers at this point, if they wanted to extend him, the time was a few months ago

Offline Ray D

« Reply #291: November 08, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »
if they wanted to extend him, the time was a few months ago

Much as I want us to sign him, I agree. Either sign him now (and I mean before the end of the week) or the hell with him.  Everything seems to be on hold until this is resolved.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292: November 08, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
I'd be very tempted to overpay for him to keep him for 2 years and an option, rather than go the extra years.  I don't know if he'd take it for more guaranteed money and years.  This is his last chance for a big score, most likely.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #293: November 08, 2012, 09:54:52 AM »
  This is his last chance for a big score, most likely.

What's a big score in his case?  What is the maximum in years and money that he can realistically hope for?  5 years @14M/year? Even that seems out of reach, but let's say that's what he's looking for.   Which teams are likely to give that to him.  If you intersect the teams that need a firstbaseman, and don't already have one with a large contract, and who might be inclined to make such a deal the list dwindles fast.  In fact, I see only Texas and Baltimore.   (I know Boston has interest, but I think that their new "fiscal reality" might preclude such a deal.)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #294: November 08, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »

No way! Overpay the guy!! lol

Offline Ray D

« Reply #295: November 08, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
Overpay the guy

What would you consider (a) a deal that realistically represents his value; (b) the limit that we should overpay.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #296: November 08, 2012, 10:07:51 AM »
What would you consider (a) a deal that realistically represents his value; (b) the limit that we should overpay.

2 for 28 or 3 for 35 would be the answer to both an and b for me

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297: November 08, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »
Ray D - I would think a big score for ALR would be more than 3 years and more than $12 MM a year.  A 4/ $50MM I think is a big score that a guy playing his age 33 - 36 seasons and comign off a $10MM year.  That would be the outside of what he could get guaranteed.  (geeky WAR discussion behind spoiler) If you buy the WAR model for pricing a contract, that's 10 WAR, or about .5 WAR decline per year, using his last year as his peak (3.3 / 2.8 / 2.3 / 1.8 is 9.9). You want to discount that 10% since it is long term, so maybe 4/$45.  I think that is high, but maybe the team that places the highest value on him might go that high. 

As for a go high dollar and short years number for the Nats, I might swallow hard and say 2 / $28MM, with an option for a 3d year at $14 MM, with $2MM buyout.  That's $30 MM guaranteed.  I think HalfSmokes has it about right on the 2 year amount.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #298: November 08, 2012, 01:29:24 PM »

<----------------

or Morse at 1st and either a trade for a higher end OF like Justin Upton or perhaps a quality fill in like Shin-Soo Choo or Kubel?

The idea behind Choo /Kubel / Morse is to use the last year or two of their team control to hold a place for Rendon and/ or Goodwin, while Upton would be a permanent piece for which we'd likely have to give up Goodwin as a starting point.

It seems more likely at this point that we're looking for an outfielder.  Which I'm fine with.  Though I'd rather get a stopgap type than part with Rendon or Goodwin since I think both of those guys will be solid MLB players and will be on minimum salaries for the next few years allowing the Nats to use that money elsewhere (hopefully a Znn/Desmond extension and eventually Strasburg and maybe another house for old man Lerner, maybe a new car Mark).

There are low cost, both money and trade value wise, options available to play LF for a year. 

Offline TheCerebral1

« Reply #299: November 16, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
Sort of leaning towards LaRoche.  While I think both are similar enough that it's a wash I think you have so many more options in center field this offseason than at first base.  While that could easily be solved while LaRoche goes elsewhere and Morse moves to 1B.  I like what LaRoche brings to the club more.  It's not by much in either direction.  I would love Upton in center.