Alex Meyer
Brian Goodwin
Matt Purke
Matt Skole
Nathan Karns
Destin Hood
Michael Taylor
Lucas Giolito

Author Topic: 2012 WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #1 Prospect  (Read 2897 times)

Offline RD

Re: 2012 WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #1 Prospect
« Reply #25: October 25, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »
A lot of the Gio talk was just hype. You're talking about an HS righty from Southern California that hit 100. That in itself generates a lot of hype. But also the talk about him making history as the first HS righty to go #1. just a lot more talk about Gio. I'm not saying the talk or hype isn't justified, just saying, he's a kid who's gotten a lot of talk.

Compared to a kid from Indiana who went to Kentucky for college ball ... Just not the same level of attention.

When you look at the stuff and talent, the two are VERY similar. You're talking two guys can consistently go 95-96 and gas it up to 100 on occasion. Gio goes straight over the top to make it hard to hit, while Meyer comes a bit lower, but from a 6'9 height. Their breaking balls are legitimate out pitches. Different pitches, but I'd say both are similar in effectiveness. Both need work on that 3rd pitch, the change. I wouldn't say Gios is a plus pitch. He hasn't used it enough IMO. I wouldn't say either is ever going to have a great change and both need work on it.

Hype aside, I think the skill sets are very similar. That's why I say it's hard for me to differentiate, assuming both reach their potential. Elite fastballs, great breaking balls, and good enough change to be dominant. Maybe Gio develops a better change, who knows.

I just think history suggests guys Meyer's size battle command issues, whereas, Gio has the prototypical frame, like you say. Youth is clearly on Gios side as well. He's MUCH further along than Meyer was coming out of HS. He could be in the bigs by the time he reaches Meyer's age.

But in a dream world, Meyer does develop consistent mechanics and release point and matches Gio on stuff as well. That's why I offered an opinion of who I think is more likely to reach his potential. Gios size makes it easier tobrepeat his deliverynwhich helps command, and will help with the change up.