Author Topic: Hot stove reading  (Read 531 times)

Offline welch

• Myer and Travis and Rice, and Bucky to manage...
Hot stove reading
« Topic Start: October 19, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
Since the Nats are out of it, and I don't care who is playing on, it's time to think of baseball books. Here is a list taken mostly from the website Washington Baseball History

•   The Washington Senators, 1954 / 2010, by Shirley Povich [the place to start]
•   They’ve Stolen our Team: a Chronology and a Recollection of the 1960 Senators, 1997, By David Gough
•   A Whole New Ballgame: The 1969 Washington Senators by Stephen J. Walker
•   Baseball At RFK Stadium by James R. Hartley
•   Baseball in the District 1880 to 1891, Triumph and Turbulence by Karen and Kevin Flynn
•   Baseball in the District 1892 to 1899, The Wagner Years by Karen and Kevin Flynn
•   Baseball in Washington D.C. by Frank Ceresi, Mark Rucker and Carol McMains
•   Baseball is Back:The Washington Nationals Inaugural Season by James R. Hartley
•   Baseball’s Finest Moments by Jack L. Hayes – NEW
•   Bucky Harris: A Biography of Baseball’s Boy Wonder by Jack Smiles – NEW
•   Cecil Travis of the Washington Senators: The War-Torn Career of an All-Star Shortstop by Rob Kirkpatrick
•   Clark Griffith: The Old Fox of Washington Baseball by Ted Leavengood
•   Damn Senators: My Grandfather and the Story of Washington’s Only World Series Championship by Mark Gauvreau Judge
•   National Pastime: Sports, Politics, and the Return of Baseball to Washington D.C. by Barry Svrluga
•   Nationals on Parade: 70 Years of Washington Nationals Photos by Mark Stang and Phil Wood
•   Sam Rice: A Biography of the Washington Senators Hall of Famer by Jeff Carroll
•   Ted Williams and the 1969 Washington Senators: The Last Winning Season by Ted Leavengood
•   The Washington Nationals 1859 to Today: The Story of Baseball in the Nation’s Capital by Frederic J. Frommer
•   The Wrecking Crew of ’33: The Washington Senators’ Last Pennant by Gary A. Sarnoff
•   Walter Johnson: Baseball’s Big Train by Henry W. Thomas
•   Washington Senators All-Time Greats by C. Norman Willis
•   Washington Senators, 1901-1971 by Tom Deveaux
•   Washington Senators: Player’s Stats A-L by Douglas C. Schwanke
•   Washington Senators: History and Biographies by Douglas C. Schwanke
•   Washington’s Expansion Senators (1961-1971) by James R. Hartley

Some general books:

•   The Glory of Their Times: The Story Of The Early Days Of Baseball Told By The Men Who Played It (1984, second edition) edited by Lawrence Ritter,
•   Baseball: the Early Years, (1989), Harold Seymour [the standard history iof the beginnings of baseball, it is said]

And a forgotten one: The Long Season, about 1961, by Jim Brosnan...probably the first honest season-diary.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
Re: Hot stove reading
« Reply #1: October 20, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
As always welch, love the history you provide!

:clap:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #2: October 20, 2012, 08:50:14 AM »
As always welch, love the history you provide!

:clap:

This -- I'm surprised there are so many local history books to check into.

I'm about to start this:

I grew up going to Cape League games, should be fun.

Offline CALSGR8

• Be Loud * Be Proud * Be Positive
« Reply #3: October 20, 2012, 09:00:40 AM »
Fictional Story but great book Calico Joe by Grisham

Offline Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #4: October 20, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
One big void in this list - "I Never had It Made" by Jackie Robinson

Since the Nats are out of it, and I don't care who is playing on, it's time to think of baseball books. Here is a list taken mostly from the website Washington Baseball History

•   The Washington Senators, 1954 / 2010, by Shirley Povich [the place to start]
•   They’ve Stolen our Team: a Chronology and a Recollection of the 1960 Senators, 1997, By David Gough
•   A Whole New Ballgame: The 1969 Washington Senators by Stephen J. Walker
•   Baseball At RFK Stadium by James R. Hartley
•   Baseball in the District 1880 to 1891, Triumph and Turbulence by Karen and Kevin Flynn
•   Baseball in the District 1892 to 1899, The Wagner Years by Karen and Kevin Flynn
•   Baseball in Washington D.C. by Frank Ceresi, Mark Rucker and Carol McMains
•   Baseball is Back:The Washington Nationals Inaugural Season by James R. Hartley
•   Baseball’s Finest Moments by Jack L. Hayes – NEW
•   Bucky Harris: A Biography of Baseball’s Boy Wonder by Jack Smiles – NEW
•   Cecil Travis of the Washington Senators: The War-Torn Career of an All-Star Shortstop by Rob Kirkpatrick
•   Clark Griffith: The Old Fox of Washington Baseball by Ted Leavengood
•   Damn Senators: My Grandfather and the Story of Washington’s Only World Series Championship by Mark Gauvreau Judge
•   National Pastime: Sports, Politics, and the Return of Baseball to Washington D.C. by Barry Svrluga
•   Nationals on Parade: 70 Years of Washington Nationals Photos by Mark Stang and Phil Wood
•   Sam Rice: A Biography of the Washington Senators Hall of Famer by Jeff Carroll
•   Ted Williams and the 1969 Washington Senators: The Last Winning Season by Ted Leavengood
•   The Washington Nationals 1859 to Today: The Story of Baseball in the Nation’s Capital by Frederic J. Frommer
•   The Wrecking Crew of ’33: The Washington Senators’ Last Pennant by Gary A. Sarnoff
•   Walter Johnson: Baseball’s Big Train by Henry W. Thomas
•   Washington Senators All-Time Greats by C. Norman Willis
•   Washington Senators, 1901-1971 by Tom Deveaux
•   Washington Senators: Player’s Stats A-L by Douglas C. Schwanke
•   Washington Senators: History and Biographies by Douglas C. Schwanke
•   Washington’s Expansion Senators (1961-1971) by James R. Hartley

Some general books:

•   The Glory of Their Times: The Story Of The Early Days Of Baseball Told By The Men Who Played It (1984, second edition) edited by Lawrence Ritter,
•   Baseball: the Early Years, (1989), Harold Seymour [the standard history iof the beginnings of baseball, it is said]

And a forgotten one: The Long Season, about 1961, by Jim Brosnan...probably the first honest season-diary.

Offline CALSGR8

• Be Loud * Be Proud * Be Positive
« Reply #5: October 20, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Not sure if its still in Print but IT'S GOOD TO BE ALIVE by Roy Campanella is what made me a Dodger fan before the Nats came to town.

Dont shoot me but THE ONLY WAY I KNOW by CAL RIPKEN is a great book too.

Hard to find THIRD BASE IS MY HOME BY BROOKS ROBINSON

I WAS RIGHT ON TIME BY BUCK O'NEILL

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: October 20, 2012, 04:45:12 PM »
Lord's of the Realm is still the number one baseball history book to me