New York papers have been full of Yankee disintegration. I could link to them, but they are so hard to miss, everywhere.
- Jeter is 38 or 39. If he plays next year, I expect that will be the last season
- Petitte is their second-best starter, and he's about 40. Came out of retirement...does he want the bother of staying in shape during the off-season to pitch another year?
- Mo Rivera wants to pitch one more year. I expect he will. Jeter and Mo.
- ARod is expected to be gone, no matter what the cost. And soon. The benchings were a waving flag. Papers noticed that ARod went to the bench and tried to pick up a blonde woman fan. That did not make him a hereo.
- Swisher flopped, and he's not so young
- Granderson and Tex will be 32 or 33 next season.
- Cano and Gardner were the only guys under 30, and Gardner was hurt.
- The Yankees have no starters after Sabathia (and the hope that Andy returns)
- The farm system is empty.
- Jeter's replacement is about 140 pounds...no the typical Yankee slugger.
I think the Yankees cannot sign enough free agents to replace all these guys. They haven't been a bad team since about '95, but this could be the start of some serious pain.