Author Topic: 2013 MLB Draft  (Read 12201 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: 2013 MLB Draft
« Reply #175: June 09, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
For those of you talking about Andy McGuire, he went to the Rockies in the 37th round or something. He'll be heading to Tejas, though.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #176: June 09, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
signability signs!
Haha
Smart idea with the lowest pool in mlb

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #177: June 09, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »
no that's Dylan covey.
Oh. Okay. Thanks.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #178: June 09, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
Who is Karsten Whitson?
•The Nationals took Karsten Whitson in the 37th round. As Jim Callis of Baseball America notes (on Twitter), the Padres picked Whitson ninth overall in 2010. Whitson opted to go to the University of Florida instead, and he pitched two seasons there before missing 2013 with a shoulder injury. Whitson turned down a signing bonus of over $2MM from the Padres.

Online RD

« Reply #179: June 09, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
RD, nice work.  Why don't you start a Prospects thread on Ward or one of the other guys if you're feeling it? 

Do we want to start those now, or do we want to wait until they sign? Just curious. I wouldn't mind doing Ward.

RD is one of the best posters on this site. I wish he posted daily.

Thank you. I dont get a lot of Nationals info on the west coast, so I do some here for everything. I read almost daily, just don't always have the time to post. Often times Ill have something to say, but you guys are 100 posts in, and it just seems pointless to chime in so late, since chances are someone has made the point I was going to make. Can't keep up with the board at times!

Online RD

« Reply #180: June 09, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »
I like our day three overall, even though most of these guys will never make an impact. Real late, we seemed to go high ceiling, even though its unlikely any of those guys become Nationals this year.

Simms in the 11th was solid. He has been very good as a starter and reliever for Rice, but I dont think his stuff has developed as expected. His velocity hasn't picked up much since high school, but he still knows how to get people out.

11th rounder Andrew Cooper is another kid from Canada, that headed went the JuCo route. He's small for a righty, and haven't found out much about his raw stuff. But he apparently was a SS in high school and became a pitcher at the JuCo level, so he still has a lot of growth left to do, and still had a good season in the California JC ranks. Only K'd 56 in 99 innings, but was 13-3 with a 2.65 ERA. I dont know if there is extreme upside with his game, but he is definitely a work in progress still. He hit 20 batters(!) and had 13 wild pitches this year. So there are some definite control issues to work out, which could be ironed out with more consistent mechanics and work on his secondary pitches(speculation on my part, based on inexperience).

13th round John Costa underwent Tommy John surgery a few months ago, so he's another guy drafted even moreso on potential than polished skills now. He K'd 14 guys in 13 innings before going down with the injury. Seeing as he probably won't be ready to start the 2014 college season, I would imagine he takes the money to sign and get rehab under professional supervision.

14th round SS DAvid Masters originally went to Arkansas before heading to JuCo. He was drafted in the 50th round out of HS. Just off stats and a couple vague scouting reports, looks more like a mostly glove guy with an average bat. Can play any of the infield positions, but would likely start out at SS.

16th round OF Willie Allen has some interesting numbers. Same JC as Randolph Oduber. Hit .362 with 11 HR's and 21/23 on steals. 27/37 walk/K ratio in 49 games. Ranked 339 by Baseball America, drafted 496. Not much other than that that I could find.

20th round OF Brenton Allen out of UCLA is another intriguing option. He was drafted in the 9th round out of HS, despite his commitment to UCLA. He's got good bloodlines as his brother played football at Notre Dame and in the NFL. He went to Gahr HS, which is in the league I played in in HS(of course, he was there 10 years after I was). Gahr players are well versed in small ball, but he also had the athleticism and power/speed potential. The physical tools are there. But, he never lived up to the hype at UCLA. Didn't play regularly until this year, and only hit .247 with 34 K's in 38 games. He won't get much money to sign, so it's a worthwhile gamble that he could figure it out. He may return to UCLA though, in hopes of improving his stock and possibly graduating.

We took some extremely talented guys who fell in the draft, but it would appear no chance to sign them. Garrett Hampson, Bryce Harman, Andrew Dunlap, and Shaun Anderson all appeared to be top 10 round talents and likely to head off to school. Hampson and Harman could've been top 3 round guys.

Karsten Whitson did turn down $2.1mill out of HS(cough:idiot:cough). He played extremely well as a freshman, but was limited as a sophomore due to forearm tendinitis. Missed his entire junior year with shoulder surgery. Luckily, only an impingement and no the labrum or rotator cuff. Extremely unlikely to sign because we won't be able to give him any substantial money. Not likely to get that $2mill back either, considering his injury history in college, and he'll be a year older than the typical junior draftee.

So we took a number of talented but risky guys on day three. Quite a few will not sign. But I do like the idea of swinging for the fences with a lot of the picks. Most of the time these picks don't pan out anyway, so might as well gamble on the supremely talented kids that haven't quite put it together or injured ones.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #181: June 09, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »
Tell you what, RD.  If you want to put the time in, we can have you start the thread early and just lock it if he does not sign.  Alternatively, claim dibs on some of these guys, we'll note it it the master thread, and then when the guy signs, you can post a thread.

I've always wanted the FTP stuff to be a subforum so it does not overwhelm the Farm thread and team-focused threads to be more prominent on the Farm main board.  It is a lot of work for the Chief to do it that way, so what we have with the stickeed master thread is the next best thing.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #182: June 13, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA 1m
#Nationals ink 6th-rder Cody Gunter for $175k. Grayson County (Texas) CC 3B has power & arm strength, some like more on mound. #mlbdraft

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #183: June 13, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA 16s
#Nationals sign 7th-rder Jimmy Yezzo for $160k. Delaware 1B, great year, hits for avg & power to all fields. #mlbdraft

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #184: June 13, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
Millennium Sports ‏@MSMsports 5m
@jimcallisBA  he is a big time prospect 3B that the Nats family will love, starting in Auburn. He will NOT pitch, as his 70 arm works at 3B

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA 4m
Agree on Cody Gunter, legit prospect at 3B. @MSMsports #mlbdraft #Nationals

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #185: June 13, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
Thanks for the updates, Fan.

Nats must think highly of Gunter starting him at Auburn when he's only 19.

Offline zoom

« Reply #186: June 13, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
I believe Brenton Allen (JR, LF, UCLA) is our only pick (RD 20, #616) in the CWS. 

UCLA plays LSU on Sunday (6/17) at 5:00 Pacific/8:00 Eastern on ESPN2.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #187: June 13, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
Now sign ward

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #190: June 15, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »
Wow that's great news.  I wonder how much it took to get him signed. 

Offline zoom

« Reply #191: June 15, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »
excellent news indeed.

ZDK, that page is perfect!  thanks!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #192: June 15, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »
Wait, we drafted Rice catcher Geoff Perrott? He's a glove-first catcher and, in the weekend I was at Rice for the Conference USA tournament, I don't think I saw him get a single hit. On the other hand, the female friend I was with could not stop staring at his ass or scheming on how to get him in bed. I think she took a bunch of pictures. :lol:

In the first game, he tore a gigantic hole out of his pants during some kind of play. The next day, he was wearing the same pants with the same big hole in them. He had his own fan section right behind home plate called the Perrott Heads, and whenever he came up to the plate they all put on gigantic parrot hats. Photo attached!

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #193: June 15, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
Wait, we drafted Rice catcher Geoff Perrott? He's a glove-first catcher and, in the weekend I was at Rice for the Conference USA tournament, I don't think I saw him get a single hit. On the other hand, the female friend I was with could not stop staring at his ass or scheming on how to get him in bed. I think she took a bunch of pictures. :lol:

In the first game, he tore a gigantic hole out of his pants during some kind of play. The next day, he was wearing the same pants with the same big hole in them. He had his own fan section right behind home plate called the Perrott Heads, and whenever he came up to the plate they all put on gigantic parrot hats. Photo attached!

Did you ever see Craig Manuel (Hagerstown Suns C) at Rice?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #194: June 15, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »
Did you ever see Craig Manuel (Hagerstown Suns C) at Rice?
Yes, but I don't have clear memories of his game play. I do have clear memories of J.P. Padron and Chad Mozingo (ex-Nats who washed out of the minors), plus saw probably a dozen Rick Hague games and lived in the same dorm as Anthony Rendon (we shared a mailbox since our last names are both Re-).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #195: June 15, 2013, 12:49:36 PM »
No info yet on the price of Ward.  Slot allocation is $491K, and BA estimates we've saved $414K on prior signings.  With #1 signed, I'd think Ward gets > 1/2 of the remaining bucks to take him away from OU.  We have Pivetta and Voth still unsigned in the top 10 picks.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #196: June 15, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »
No info yet on the price of Ward.  Slot allocation is $491K, and BA estimates we've saved $414K on prior signings.  With #1 signed, I'd think Ward gets > 1/2 of the remaining bucks to take him away from OU.  We have Pivetta and Voth still unsigned in the top 10 picks.
That's great news.  We certainly needing some hitting depth.  I suppose BA hasn't updated the signing because they don't know the amount either? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #197: June 15, 2013, 05:51:22 PM »
$850K, per Callis.

That's $359K over slot, leaving the team $55K under allocation.  That money can be added to the slot for Pivetta and Voth. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #198: June 16, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
Any number on how much pool money is left? Hoping for a Whitson signing

Offline zoom

« Reply #199: June 16, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »
ZKD posted this link before.  very helpful:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2013xteam.php?team=1012