Author Topic: D.C. sports misery index - want opinions  (Read 1909 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: D.C. sports misery index - want opinions
« Reply #25: October 15, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_League_(1968%E2%80%931984)

maybe, maybe not, soccer got really big before without sticking

One thing often overlooked about MLS is its incredible franchise stability - in its 17-season existence only two franchises have folded (Miami Fusion, Tampa Bay Mutiny) and one has moved (first edition of San Jose Earthquakes, formerly San Jose Clash, who moved to Houston and became the Dynamo). Only the American Football League (1960-69, no franchises folded - although the NY Titans came close; two moved) is in that class among start-up leagues that I can think of.

The NASL had franchises popping up and folding almost annually (Washington, for one, went through four franchises - the Whips, Diplomats I, Diplomats II [ex-Detroit Express] and Team America).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #26: October 15, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Let's not forget the USFL Washington Generals...

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #27: October 15, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
Let's not forget the USFL Washington Generals...

...actually the Federals...THE GERBILS!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: October 15, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »
One thing often overlooked about MLS is its incredible franchise stability - in its 17-season existence only two franchises have folded (Miami Fusion, Tampa Bay Mutiny) and one has moved (first edition of San Jose Earthquakes, formerly San Jose Clash, who moved to Houston and became the Dynamo). Only the American Football League (1960-69, no franchises folded, two moved) is in that class among start-up leagues that I can think of.

The NASL had franchises popping up and folding almost annually (Washington, for one, went through four franchises - the Whips, Diplomats I, Diplomats II [ex-Detroit Express] and Team America).

part of that has to do with centralized management and a very low salary cap. I'm wondering, at what point americans will stop tolerating knowing they have an inferior product that's designed to be so.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #29: October 15, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
part of that has to do with centralized management and a very low salary cap. I'm wondering, at what point americans will stop tolerating knowing they have an inferior product that's designed to be so.

There are leagues all over Europe whose member clubs and their fans know they'll never have the deep pockets of the Premier League, La Liga et al - yet people still support them.

Closer to home - people still attend minor-league baseball and hockey in North America - it doesn't always have to be big-time to be good (or at least watchable).

• babble on
« Reply #30: October 15, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »
Stop tolerating?  And what, throw tea in the harbour?  MLS has a rapidly growing fanbase across the league.  Dallas and KC (and lately DCU) are lagging behind a bit, but Portland/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal have probably doubled overall attendance.  Portland and Seattle played in front of almost 70,000 people a couple of weeks ago.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #31: October 15, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
One thing often overlooked about MLS is its incredible franchise stability - in its 17-season existence only two franchises have folded (Miami Fusion, Tampa Bay Mutiny) and one has moved (first edition of San Jose Earthquakes, formerly San Jose Clash, who moved to Houston and became the Dynamo). Only the American Football League (1960-69, no franchises folded - although the NY Titans came close; two moved) is in that class among start-up leagues that I can think of.

Had season tickets to the Dips when they had Cruyff.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: October 15, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
There are leagues all over Europe whose member clubs and their fans know they'll never have the deep pockets of the Premier League, La Liga et al - yet people still support them.

Closer to home - people still attend minor-league baseball and hockey in North America - it doesn't always have to be big-time to be good (or at least watchable).

Maybe, but if MLS gets big, Americans have a tendency to demand the best. Personally, I'd rather watch La Liga than MLS, but that's just me

Offline mitlen

« Reply #33: October 15, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
...actually the Federals...THE GERBILS!

How could we ever forget the Generals in basketball (Globetrotter version)?   Talk about losers  ...    The Capitals in the ABA (later to become the VA Squires).    My God, the Squires had great lineups in the '70s to include Gervin and Erving on the same team.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #34: October 15, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »

When I was a kid my friend's family was into soccer and had season tickets so I got to tag along to a couple of games. There was this dude that used to walk around banging a drum trying to get the crowd fired up (all 3,000 of them). And I remember him venting his frustration because his attempt usually failed and because people were not showing up at games. I commend him for his effort though.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #35: October 15, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »
When I was a kid my friend's family was into soccer and had season tickets so I got to tag along to a couple of games. There was this dude that used to walk around banging a drum trying to get the crowd fired up (all 3,000 of them). And I remember him venting his frustration because his attempt usually failed and because people were not showing up at games. I commend him for his effort though.

Wasn't me.    :P

Offline spidernat

« Reply #36: October 15, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »
Wasn't me.    :P

:lmao:  I was expecting a response from you about that. He was a young man at the time. He's probably in his late 50's/early 60's by now.

• babble on
« Reply #37: October 15, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »
Of course one should not read too much into international friendlies, but MLS clubs have done pretty well against the elite teams of the world. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #38: October 15, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »
:lmao:  I was expecting a response from you about that. He was a young man at the time. He's probably in his late 50's/early 60's by now.

'bout that time I was probably in my 30s ...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #39: October 15, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »
Of course one should not read too much into international friendlies, but MLS clubs have done pretty well against the elite teams of the world. 

Why do you suppose that is?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #40: October 15, 2012, 03:48:29 PM »
'bout that time I was probably in my 30s ...

So you still got that drum?  :lol:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: October 15, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
So you still got that drum?  :lol:

Nah, I was a brass man right here in River City.

• babble on
« Reply #42: October 15, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
Because John Terry is a wussy
Why do you suppose that is?

• babble on
« Reply #43: October 15, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »
My DC sports malaise just deepened when I opened Google calendar and saw "7:30 Caps/FL"

Jesus H Flores this sucks.  Watching sports on TV will help prevent the withdrawal symptoms from getting too bad, but other than DC United on Saturday (and hopefully some playoff games) there is SFA to look forward to.  Maybe I'll have to overcome my aversion to FedEx field.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: October 15, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
Maybe I'll have to overcome my aversion to FedEx field.

the Devil's parking lot

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #45: October 15, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »
My DC sports malaise just deepened when I opened Google calendar and saw "7:30 Caps/FL"

Jesus H Flores this sucks.  Watching sports on TV will help prevent the withdrawal symptoms from getting too bad, but other than DC United on Saturday (and hopefully some playoff games) there is SFA to look forward to.  Maybe I'll have to overcome my aversion to FedEx field.

The United games are what I'm looking forward to, I haven't tailgated at a Nats game since opening day, so as long as there's no rain I'll be doing it up right at RFK.  Their fans are all excited about their new stadium but they have no idea how good they have it, just wait until there is nothing but parking garages around the new place.  Bars are fun but nothing beats standing around a grill getting smashed before the game.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #46: October 15, 2012, 08:22:07 PM »
I might put DC number 2, our major sports teams (sorry hockey) have all sucked for a long time, and when our teams have made the playoffs recently, they've chocked. 

That's the worst part, beyond all of the terrible teams we've had, when we're good it's almost worse, four teams in six years with the best regular season record and only one team in all that time even made it to the semi-finals.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #47: October 16, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »

Do you remember this.......

Plagued with mediocrity in their first few seasons of existence, the Diplomats did not qualify for the playoffs until 1976, their fifth year in the league. Immediately, the Diplomats were knocked out by the New York Cosmos in the first round. The following season, the club played their home matches in Northern Virginia at W.T. Woodson High School, before going back to RFK Stadium.

I lived pretty close and went to games

Offline spidernat

« Reply #48: October 16, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
:lmao:

holy crap the MLS was around in the early 70's? :shock: 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #49: October 16, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Do you remember this.......

Plagued with mediocrity in their first few seasons of existence, the Diplomats did not qualify for the playoffs until 1976, their fifth year in the league. Immediately, the Diplomats were knocked out by the New York Cosmos in the first round. The following season, the club played their home matches in Northern Virginia at W.T. Woodson High School, before going back to RFK Stadium.

I lived pretty close and went to games

I remember them playing at Woodson but I never attended a game there.    I loved soccer from the lower bowl at RFK (the football broadcast booth side ...  1st base line).    I bought 2 season tickets on the aisle.   One for me and one to make sure no one sat next to me.   :P