Author Topic: Are you rooting for the Cards?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline santanaf

Are you rooting for the Cards?
« Topic Start: October 14, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »
I'm watching the Giants v Cards Game 1 and I'm pulling or St. Louis for several reasons.

1. If the Nats are going to lose and in the manner they did, I want the other team to win it all, otherwise it won't feel like its worth it.

2. As horrible as Friday was, there wasn't a Cards fan that I ran into that was trying to gloat or rub it in. Their fans just tend to be better fans, not like Philly fans.

3. I would love to see a rivalry between these teams that is just good baseball, and have it keep bubbling up in the postseason, and I'd really like to see the Nationals take them down as defending WS champs (as they should have this season).

4. I've had at least 10 people who I know that are Cards fans email me to express their shock at the win, state what a classy team the Nationals are, and even before the game on Friday, some said "if the Nationals beat the Cardinals tonight, I'd like to see the Nationals win it all."

All this means I'm pulling for the Cards over the Giants.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: Are you rooting for the Cards?
« Reply #1: October 14, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »
I'm watching the Giants v Cards Game 1 and I'm pulling or St. Louis for several reasons.

1. If the Nats are going to lose and in the manner they did, I want the other team to win it all, otherwise it won't feel like its worth it.

2. As horrible as Friday was, there wasn't a Cards fan that I ran into that was trying to gloat or rub it in. Their fans just tend to be better fans, not like Philly fans.

3. I would love to see a rivalry between these teams that is just good baseball, and have it keep bubbling up in the postseason, and I'd really like to see the Nationals take them down as defending WS champs (as they should have this season).

4. I've had at least 10 people who I know that are Cards fans email me to express their shock at the win, state what a classy team the Nationals are, and even before the game on Friday, some said "if the Nationals beat the Cardinals tonight, I'd like to see the Nationals win it all."

All this means I'm pulling for the Cards over the Giants.

You raise very good points.  They certainly aren't the best team record-wise, but they take their opportunities and make the most of them by playing their asses off to win when they have to (6-0 in elimination games in the last two seasons).   One of my good friends lives in St. Louis and is a big Cardinals fan and he was very classy about the whole thing.  Definitely better than, say, Braves or Phillies fans.  I like the Giants, but at this point, I have no problem with the Cardinals winning it all.  That would mean they beat two other teams after knocking us out.  Still wish it was us playing the Giants tonight though.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: October 14, 2012, 11:06:23 PM »
I've had similar experiences with Cardinal fans this week.  I just can't watch knowing it should have been my team there.  I had person after person come up to me at church today saying how tough that loss was knowing I was a Nats fan.  The worst were the people who knew I was a fan but weren't following what happened.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #3: October 14, 2012, 11:07:59 PM »
I just can't bring myself to root for them because I have a friend who is a cards fan and he is being an jerk about it.

Offline santanaf

« Reply #4: October 14, 2012, 11:28:14 PM »
I ain't gonna lie, it just made me mad to see the giants get strike 3 to end the top half of the 9th, even though they are down by 2.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #5: October 14, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »
I just can't bring myself to root for them because I have a friend who is a cards fan and he is being an jerk about it.

:lmao:

I'm not necessarily rooting for them but I'm not rooting against them. It's bullcrap to hate a team because they bounced your team out. Isn't that why they invented "haters gonna hate" GIF's?  :lol:  I can understand the OP's points though. You sort of want to be able to say that your team lost to the eventual champion. I picked the Tigers to win it all though.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #6: October 14, 2012, 11:47:40 PM »
^
i like the tigers call.  fun team to watch.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: October 15, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »
No,  and I'm not watching the WS if they're in it- I don't want to see them at all right now.  Besides,  my uncle (maybe the only giants fan who has been with them from their NY days)  was planning on visiting if both teams made the playoffs to go to a couple of games,  so the Cards ruined that,  but more than anything,  seeing Molina,  Freese,  Motte and rest of them makes me sick.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #8: October 15, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
I can't root for a wildcard team - unless it's the Nationals.  There has to be some value in the regular season record, besides home field advantage

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #9: October 15, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
:lmao:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #10: October 15, 2012, 10:00:20 AM »
:lmao: of course I'm not rooting for the Cards. F them. I hope they never make the playoffs again.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #11: October 16, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
freak no.

(Aka my shortest post ever.)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #12: October 16, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »
which you had to spoil by going on for an extra sentence ;)

Offline Coladar

« Reply #13: October 16, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »

Hah, yeah, I realized the irony when I decided to add it. Even at seven words its about 10% as long as my second shortest post, so the point still stands.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #14: October 16, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »
Nope. I don't hate them, but I don't want them to win. But if they do win, then whatever :shrug: as long as I'm not forced to watch it.

Actually, I don't want any of them to win :lol: If I had to pull for someone it'd be the Tigers... but I don't really want to watch any team play. All my alternate teams are out.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #15: October 16, 2012, 02:16:12 PM »
No, and I hope the Rams suck too.  And the Arch falls into the Mississippi.  And Interbev moves all Budweiser production to El Salvador.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #16: October 16, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
:lmao: of course I'm not rooting for the Cards. F them. I hope they never make the playoffs again.

Offline GburgNatsFan2

« Reply #17: October 16, 2012, 03:42:37 PM »
It's still his shortest post by a paragraph. Or two. :)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #18: October 16, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »
I'm rooting for them now that everyone hates them for their "trash talk."

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #19: October 16, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
No

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #20: October 16, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »
And frankly, I'm not even rooting against them either.  I'm just not watching.  I can't.  I tried.  Couldn't do it.  If the Giants win, I might watch the World Series.  Maybe.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #21: October 16, 2012, 04:32:15 PM »
I'm rooting for them now that everyone hates them for their "trash talk."

Don't be so sensy :poke:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #22: October 16, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »

+1

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #23: October 19, 2012, 01:54:08 AM »
No

I'm rooting for them to get moved to alaska.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #24: October 19, 2012, 08:18:52 AM »
NO  :whip: