Author Topic: Not venting: just grief  (Read 2229 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Not venting: just grief
« Topic Start: October 13, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »
I don't feel like venting. I just feel empty. Not ready to point fingers, complain, etc.

It will take a week or two to forget the 9th inning last night.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Not venting: just grief
« Reply #1: October 13, 2012, 05:16:19 PM »
I think that's where I'm at, though I don't think it will take me that long.

I wonder if the trauma would have been different if I was watching it on TV instead of in person. And I'm certainly not going to play the version I recorded to find out.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: October 13, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »
I wonder if the trauma would have been different if I was watching it on TV instead of in person. And I'm certainly not going to play the version I recorded to find out.

Trust me, it sucked.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #3: October 13, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »
To really appreciate how awful it was, you needed to see the tears in the eyes of Nats fans as we were filing out. I suppose some opposing fans will get a vicarious thrill out of reading that, but I don't care. That how much this fanbase has grown to love the team this year.

I will never forget that look.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #4: October 13, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »
I'm completely devastated.  I don't want to blame any one individual.  In my opinion, the hitters did well enough to win.  The pitchers let us (and themselves) down.  Going into the top of the 9th with a two-run lead should have been an automatic win.  It wasn't and we're done.  It's a real tough pill to swallow.  And it's going to take a long time to get over.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #5: October 13, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »
To really appreciate how awful it was, you needed to see the tears in the eyes of Nats fans as we were filing out. I suppose some opposing fans will get a vicarious thrill out of reading that, but I don't care. That how much this fanbase has grown to love the team this year.

I will never forget that look.

Judging from the general reaction on the interwebs, most people were pulling for the Nats and feel for us.  I even saw a Phillies fan or two lamenting what happened.

Makes me even more sad, in a way.  We had the whole nation behind us and came up short. :(

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #6: October 13, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »
Judging from the general reaction on the interwebs, most people were pulling for the Nats and feel for us.  I even saw a Phillies fan or two lamenting what happened.

Makes me even more sad, in a way.  We had the whole nation behind us and came up short. :(

Yeah, I've grow to really dislike the Cards the last two years or so. They are the NL version of the Yankees...a serious superiority complex. And don't give me the crap that they've earned it by winning. I say show some class when you when.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #7: October 13, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
I hope the Giants sweep those crapbirds, but I doubt I'll be able to watch baseball again for a while.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #8: October 13, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »
I hope the Giants sweep those crapbirds, but I doubt I'll be able to watch baseball again for a while.

No more watching 'til spring training.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #9: October 13, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
The Cardinals can't be killed.  For Wrestling fans, they're like the Undertaker at Wrestlemania in the postseason. 

We were Randy Orton at Wrestlemania 21 against the Undertaker.  The up and comer came so close, yet fell victim in the end.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #10: October 13, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
That's how I felt last night, and it's still how I feel today.  Sure I've got opinions about how it all went down, but I just don't have the energy to argue or rage about it.  I can't even stomach looking at the MLB sites today.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #11: October 13, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
I'm not watching baseball until the first pitch of our opening game.  Can't watch the postseason (especially the NLCS) knowing the Nationals were one strike away multiple times from being there.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #12: October 13, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
I felt like jumping off a bridge last night.   Tonight ... I'm over it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #13: October 13, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »
I have not read an article on the game yet.  I did listen to MLB Network around noon or so, and I did look at some box score and player stats (I gotta be me). 

Only 5 of us out of my 18 ticket partners got to go to a game. Some of us have been in the group since 1991 when we formed as part of the effort to get an expansion team here (we had tix to OPACY through 2004).  I had bought the extras for NLCS 1 & 2, and a guy with a family of 4 was going to use that (much better than a pair and having to choose your favorite kid), and things were more or less going to work out for the folks who most wanted to go to a game.

I love baseball so much, I'll watch the playoffs.  But I would have loved to go to more games and convince friends from Michigan or New York to come in for a world series game.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #14: October 13, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »
I might be able to stomach watching the ALCS and the WS. But there is no way I will watch the NLCS knowing how close we were to getting there. That would be putting salt in the wound.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #15: October 13, 2012, 06:28:17 PM »
That's how I felt last night, and it's still how I feel today.  Sure I've got opinions about how it all went down, but I just don't have the energy to argue or rage about it.  I can't even stomach looking at the MLB sites today.

This is how I feel today. I can't read about what I just witnessed/lived through. I certainly cannot watch anymore baseball this year. That's for sure.

Offline PC

« Reply #16: October 13, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
I'm still devastated.  Everything is a little less interesting today.   :'(

I ordered Domino's Pizza today and for the tracker theme, I always choose the baseball theme.  Today, I chose the silent Domino's tracker theme.

« Reply #17: October 13, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »
Only slept 3 hours last night.  I was just too mad at everyone.  Put on Nats stuff today and still wearing it proudly.

Offline WerthHisWeight

« Reply #18: October 13, 2012, 06:44:15 PM »
Yup.  Emptiness, not rage.  And no interest in watching either LCS.  I might, just might, watch a few innings of a Giants-Tigers WS, but otherwise, the kids have free rein of the TV until April.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #19: October 13, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
A full day of NFL action tomorrow should help some. Until the Skins take it in the ass.  :hang:

Offline madj55

« Reply #20: October 13, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »

Couldn't agree more, all my Yankee/Mets/Red Sox fans at school were cheering hard for the Nats and a lot of em called me absolutely hammered telling me how sorry they were and how they'd miss my #natitude tweets. It sucks man.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #21: October 13, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »
I listened to Phil Wood after the game because I just wasn't ready for it to be over. He was in rare form. It was depressing as hell.
Only slept 3 hours last night.  I was just too mad at everyone.  Put on Nats stuff today and still wearing it proudly.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #22: October 13, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »
I listened to Phil Wood after the game because I just wasn't ready for it to be over. He was in rare form. It was depressing as hell.

I was listening too. The way he said goodnight for the last time of the season was sort of depressing. I didn't get home until 2. Did you hear the guy that followed him who was taking calls and that freaking idiot called in to say this was Strasburg's fault and that he should be traded for Mauer and prospects?  :rofl:  I would've hung up on his dumb ass.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #23: October 13, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »
there was some idiot on 106.7 the fan's postgame show at about 2 last night saying that it was all Strasburg's fault.  There are a couple things I want to say to this person.
1.  the FO shut him down not him.
2.  Why would we trade him for prospects or joe mauer like you proposed.
3.  you're a moron.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #24: October 14, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »
I was dead inside last night when it happened. I immediately went back to the bar and ordered some drinks and got drunk. Today, i still felt dead inside but with venting frustrations mixed. This is going to be a long freaking year. I want to get back into the NLDS immediately. That was freaking garbage.