Author Topic: LCS Discussion Thread (2012)  (Read 11856 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: LCS Discussion Thread
« Reply #276: October 23, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »
We're all giants fans now.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #277: October 23, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »
I'm actually going to cheer for Detroit...

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #278: October 23, 2012, 01:20:13 AM »

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #279: October 23, 2012, 02:01:13 AM »
I'm cool with either team winning. I like the way the Tigers were built and I like Hunter Pence and Buster Posey.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #280: October 23, 2012, 06:07:55 AM »
:lmao: Cardinals. Hope that goober Cardinals fan that talked trash to me during the NLDS caught the game.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #281: October 23, 2012, 07:06:29 AM »
Just heard,  great news now I can watch the world series without having to see the Cards

Offline Coladar

« Reply #282: October 23, 2012, 07:32:56 AM »
So here's the billion dollar question: Which hurt worse?

Being one f***ing pitch away from the NLCS after an insane Game 4 and taking and blowing a 6-0 lead? Never mind realizing if we'd made that single god damn pitch *now* that we win the World Series? Yeah, yeah, yeah. What if BS. Sorry, we'd have destroyed the Giants with home field advantage. The Tigers suck aside from their pitching. I'll take our pitching and our offense any day of the week. I could have seen us sweeping them in the WS.

Or the Cardinals doing what they did to us, taking a 3-1 commanding lead scoring a crapton of runs. Then three agonizing games over four nights where they watch it all slip away as they choke like a two dollar hooker, knowing the NL team is going to win?

And "both" or "they're each different" doesn't count. As godawful as that Friday was, I honestly think the Cardinals have to hurt more. We didn't even have Strasburg and got so far. None of us expected to sniff the playoffs until next year, never mind the best record. The Cardinals claw to get the wild card. Kick our ass after getting their ass kicked. Then go up 3-1 against a no-Cabrera Giants. And choke. Choke hard. Choke and die. Heimlich ain't saving that corpse.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #283: October 23, 2012, 07:55:31 AM »
I don't know that we would have crushed either team considering how awfully we were playing in the NLDS. The Nats need to get older.

Online imref

« Reply #284: October 23, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
So here's the billion dollar question: Which hurt worse?

Being one f***ing pitch away from the NLCS after an insane Game 4 and taking and blowing a 6-0 lead? Never mind realizing if we'd made that single god damn pitch *now* that we win the World Series? Yeah, yeah, yeah. What if BS. Sorry, we'd have destroyed the Giants with home field advantage. The Tigers suck aside from their pitching. I'll take our pitching and our offense any day of the week. I could have seen us sweeping them in the WS.

Or the Cardinals doing what they did to us, taking a 3-1 commanding lead scoring a crapton of runs. Then three agonizing games over four nights where they watch it all slip away as they choke like a two dollar hooker, knowing the NL team is going to win?

And "both" or "they're each different" doesn't count. As godawful as that Friday was, I honestly think the Cardinals have to hurt more. We didn't even have Strasburg and got so far. None of us expected to sniff the playoffs until next year, never mind the best record. The Cardinals claw to get the wild card. Kick our ass after getting their ass kicked. Then go up 3-1 against a no-Cabrera Giants. And choke. Choke hard. Choke and die. Heimlich ain't saving that corpse.

Did you miss the Cincy/SF series?  I think you underestimate SF.

Online imref

« Reply #285: October 23, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »

I will never bring myself to cheer for a team in a league that doesn't play real baseball.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #286: October 23, 2012, 09:14:04 AM »
This is badass.  Suffer, St Louis fans, suffer, may you not sniff the playoffs again for a century.

The Cardinals have won 11 World Series, second only to the Yankees...but none of these have come back to back...closest they came was in the three they won with Stan Musial, 1942/44/46.

In fact one has to go back to 1967-68 to find the last time they won back-to-back NL pennants.

Online imref

« Reply #287: October 23, 2012, 09:15:27 AM »
I don't know that we would have crushed either team considering how awfully we were playing in the NLDS. The Nats need to get older.

agreed.  we played like a deer stuck in the headlights (especially our pitching).  Other than game 4, we really never had anything resembling a good game.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #288: October 23, 2012, 09:38:21 AM »
I will never bring myself to cheer for a team in a league that doesn't play real baseball.

Meh, that didn't really factor into my thinking.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #289: October 23, 2012, 10:11:05 AM »
Did you miss the Cincy/SF series?  I think you underestimate SF.

No, definitely not. But St. Louis's strength so far has been their offense. And their weakness.

Would it have been a toss up between us and SF? Maybe. I don't think it would have. I think our October team versus SF would have seen us advance in Game 6 at most. Like I said, "What if BS." But... you do remember we took 5 of 6 from SF this year, yes?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #290: October 23, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »
No, definitely not. But St. Louis's strength so far has been their offense. And their weakness.

Would it have been a toss up between us and SF? Maybe. I don't think it would have. I think our October team versus SF would have seen us advance in Game 6 at most. Like I said, "What if BS." But... you do remember we took 5 of 6 from SF this year, yes?

Remember when we smoked St. Louis 3 out of 4 in our park in early September?  Playoff baseball doesn't work according to conventional wisdom, often.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #291: October 23, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »
agreed.  we played like a deer stuck in the headlights (especially our pitching).  Other than game 4, we really never had anything resembling a good game.

I'm going to do a double post of sorts here tied in with my SF comment ie. regular season. I'm pretty damn sure I posted this very comment, I know I emailed it in discussions with a few of the folks near my seat.

I felt before the season was out I wanted us desperately to get the 2 seed. I wanted us to start losing games. Because in late September we got raped by the Cardinals in St. Louis. The third we won in extras. They were on a tear before that, but two of the three they defiled our corpse. That we came one pitch from beating them??? We took 5 of 6 from SF. STL owned us two weeks before the NLDS.

Sorry, but my mind is set if it were just one more strike call the guys would've had rings.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #292: October 23, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
Oh wow, that IS Erin Andrews.  I almost didn't recognize her, not sure why.
You had not seen her in that outfit before.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #293: October 23, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »
Well, at least the Giants were finally the team to out-Cardinal the Cardinals.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #294: October 23, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »
Morning Pixels: The Giants take shots at the Cardinals
By Dan Steinberg , Updated: October 16, 2012 (edited by Mitlen October 23, 2012)

A whole bunch of Cards' fans said the depressing end to their team’s season meant they were checking out of baseball for a while, and would rake leaves or practice sonatas or watch pro skeet-shooting instead of tuning into the World Series. Maybe this will help change their minds.

Not content with recording one of the most magical and improbable returns from the dead in baseball elimination history, a few Giants had less than complimentary things to say about the Cards in a long piece detailing the comeback.

Now, the gist of the comments — the Cards choked because they had never been there before — might have some basis in fact, but it’s still kind of rude.

Among their comments:

* “As one Giant said, ‘Motte looked like he didn’t want to be out there.  I mean how do you save a game when your team is down 9-0? “

....   etc.     Payback is a nag.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #295: October 23, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »

No

typically i would root for the nl team, and i do agree with imref; but, i'm still bitter about the lds. i'm pulling for detroit.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #296: October 23, 2012, 08:38:16 PM »

Me too!  They ought to be rewarded for sweeping the Yankees!

Hey! Maybe the Cardinals and Yankees can play eachother for the Choke Series!

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #297: October 23, 2012, 09:13:51 PM »
I'm rooting for Detroit to see everyone who was screaming pitching and defense two years ago proclaim the era of bad defense and slugging has begun.  I really don't care though,  I like both teams

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #298: October 23, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »

Hey! Maybe the Cardinals and Yankees can play eachother for the Choke Series!

Doesn't storen get to close game 7

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #299: October 23, 2012, 09:36:39 PM »
I want Mike Ilitch to be rewarded for caring about his team.  I won't be too disappointed if the Giants win, though.  I like both of these teams.