Author Topic: WORST LOSS OF THE EVER  (Read 2084 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: WORST LOSS OF THE EVER
« Reply #25: October 13, 2012, 11:24:06 PM »
continuing what I said in the GDT, nah spider. I just meant if we were in the Cards position up 2-1, and then lose on a walk off to make it 2-2... well, that'd suck. But from their standpoint, the opposing team collapsed in the final innings and allowed the unthinkable comeback to happen. That's quite a win too.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• Sign all the Cubans
« Reply #26: October 14, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
24 hour anniversary of the collapse

Offline Fan037

« Reply #27: October 14, 2012, 12:43:17 AM »
I read an article about Drew Storen.  Every one in the Clubhouse said he's the nicest kid on the team and having this happen to him was awful.  As badly as I feel myself, I think I feel sorrier for Drew.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• Sign all the Cubans
« Reply #28: October 14, 2012, 07:46:11 AM »
Drew blew it because he doesn't have a badass beard like other great closers.  plain and simple.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #29: October 14, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »
I don't think I have posted since I came home from the game. It even took me a while to read what fellow members of WNFF had to say. I have been searching for the word to best describe how I feel. Depressed....... no. Angry .....no. Disappointed .....sure as we all are. People it is a baseball GAME.The word that descibes my feelings best is DEFLATED.

I have waited my entire life for this and remember that I attended games at Griffith Stadium and can still smell the Wonder Bread baking. We had a chance to win it. And we didn't . Storen blew it but he wasn't the only culprit.

The team is built to compete for the long term. We will be back. No wholesale changes. Sign ALR , replace Jackson, beef up the 'pen.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: October 14, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »
Bill Buckner may have been a saint,  that doesn't mean he should be loved it boston

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #31: October 14, 2012, 10:14:39 AM »
I attended games at Griffith Stadium and can still smell the Wonder Bread baking.

:lmao:

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #32: October 14, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
I guess the reason I'm not taking it as hard as others is basically twofold:

(1) I began making my way out of the ballpark as soon as the Cardinals had taken the lead - I wanted to get the jump on the Metro crowds, not really having any desire to be stuck in the neighbourhood till 02.00 and beyond - so I missed the Cardinals' celebration et al, although the time it took to get out enabled me to hear the first two Nats at-bats.

(2) I've been following the local teams for quite some time (next year is, in fact, the 50th anniversary of my first-ever live baseball match, Senators vs Red Sox at DC Stadium) and I've seen so many collapses, so much underachievement, in person, on the telly, on the radio...the Capitals the past few seasons, DC United in the three seasons following their last MLS Cup, the dire Redskins sides of the last two decades, the yet direr Mystics teams of the past decade, the Freedom in their debut season, the Wizards in the False Spring (2004-08)...I guess I've just built up immunity.

It was a bad meltdown to watch indeed, especially on a chilly night...but life goes on...I will be back in TBSITH this coming April Fools Day for my ninth straight home opener, but meanwhile am not planning on jumping off a building or whatever.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #33: October 14, 2012, 11:20:07 AM »
It was also the worst loss I've ever witnessed, although from home. Previously, it would have been the bullcrap Maryland/Duke game when they called the bullcrap touch foul on Steve Blake leading to Jason Williams erasing a 10pt lead with less than a minute to go...

Anywho, it hurt real bad. But it is a good thing to know that we were in a position to have a game mean that much. I thought we were at least a year away from being in that position.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #34: October 14, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
 :'( Yesterday I went to Bethesda for a my Birthday Lunch with my cousins.  Came home and slept.  Woke up around 10 or so and watched a little TV.  Eventually went upstairs to bed.  Woke up 11am this morning.   :icon_frown:

Still proudly wearing my NATS Jacket though!

Offline Coladar

« Reply #35: October 14, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
:'( Yesterday I went to Bethesda for a my Birthday Lunch with my cousins.  Came home and slept.  Woke up around 10 or so and watched a little TV.  Eventually went upstairs to bed.  Woke up 11am this morning.   :icon_frown:

Still proudly wearing my NATS Jacket though!

I dunno about you, but that's actually one of the worst things. Of course I'm going to be wearing my Nats jacket, cap and jersey everywhere I went this weekend. And every person I encounter stops me and says, "Man, that was the worst thing ever" or "What the hell happened?"

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #36: October 14, 2012, 09:38:36 PM »
Drew blew it because he doesn't have a badass beard like other great closers.  plain and simple.

:)

Offline Busta Mimes

• I'll Ram the hell out of you
« Reply #37: October 14, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »
I'm still going to wear the curly W hat I got at Nats Park.  IDGAF.
And I'm going to continue to tell this one guy at work that the Cards can suck it.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #38: October 14, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »
I dunno about you, but that's actually one of the worst things. Of course I'm going to be wearing my Nats jacket, cap and jersey everywhere I went this weekend. And every person I encounter stops me and says, "Man, that was the worst thing ever" or "What the hell happened?"

Its such switch of emotions.  Thursday Giddy elation!  High fiving and hugging strangers.  Navy Yard Metro patrons yelling Lets go Nats all rhe way down the escalator.  To post game Friday Cardz fans screaming thru a silent Nats Park. Even the store conversation was in low tones and subdued.   Metro-nearly silent.

Reactions were bi-poler within the last 48 hours.  I mean to be so high only to be slung so low.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #39: October 14, 2012, 11:39:21 PM »

Still proudly wearing my NATS orioles Jacket though!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #40: October 15, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »

I only own NATS AND CAPS JACKETS AND SWEATSHIRTS!  Well I have a Fenway Pk sweatshirt but only because it got cold st the game in Boston.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #41: October 15, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »
I spent most of Saturday drop-kicking my cat.   Made me feel much better.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #42: October 15, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »
I spent most of Saturday drop-kicking my cat.   Made me feel much better.

That maybe the only comment on this site that made me laugh since I came home Saturday  after the game.

Offline Slateman

• Home of the $400 blender
« Reply #43: October 15, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
I was thinking about this over the weekend. It really was the worst loss in the history of DC sports.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #44: October 15, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »
I was thinking about this over the weekend. It really was the worst loss in the history of DC sports.

Well, I think it was worse when we lost the Superbowl to the Raiders.   

I was despondent, had nightmares for weeks. Of course I was much younger, and took these things much more seriously - hell, I took them personally.  I am still in pain over this loss, but it doesn't come close to the pain of that Superbowl loss.  I suppose it was because the Redskins were clearly the best team by far that season - or so we thought - and we were so badly humiliated by the Raiders. And because I was expecting a good game and it was a dud from the start, that was a huge letdown.  In this case, we got our money's worth at least.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #45: October 15, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
the best and worst games in Nats history in the span of 48 hours.

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #46: October 15, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »
The Senators' loss to the New York Giants in five games in the 1933 World Series was considered by at least some at the time to be an upset.

Having no baseball at all for my first 28 years of current residency here was no fun either.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #47: October 15, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »
the best and worst games in Nats history in the span of 48 32 hours.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #48: October 15, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »
I would be so much happier this morning if every single person I talk to didn't mention the game on Friday.

RGIII talk is fine.

Offline welch

• Myer and Travis and Rice, and Bucky to manage...
« Reply #49: October 15, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
Take a look at Game 7, 1925 WS in Pittsburgh. Walter Johnson had crushed the Giants in his first two starts, but pulled a hamstring stretching a single into a double in his second start. Yes, every man was a ballplayer in those days: Johnson hit over .400 in more than 100 at-bats during the season. Used him as a pinch-hitter.

Bucky Harris: If you have a seventh game and you have Walter Johnson, you start Walter Johnson. Period.

Nats gave Johnson a solid lead, but he was pitching on one leg. Making everything worse, it began to rain. Hard. Between the top of the inning and the bottom, the grounds grew poured sawdust in front of the pitching rubber. Nothing for Johnson except slippery mud.

Clark Griffith protested, but the league presidents refused to stop the game. By the 7th or 8th inning, the Pirates had nibbled away the lead.

Details here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PIT/PIT192510150.shtml

Notice that the Nats drove the Pirates starter from the game in the first inning.