Author Topic: GMs Rooting Against Nationals  (Read 307 times)

Offline KingHarper

GMs Rooting Against Nationals
« Topic Start: October 12, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »
Couldn't find this thread so I just found this and thought it was very interesting. Who knew the other GMs in the league were so butthurt all the time?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-10-11/stephen-strasburg-shutdown-washington-nationals-rival-root-mlb-playoffs

The Washington Nationals’ decision to shut down ace Stephen Strasburg in early September not only angered the team’s fans, but also rival executives.

According to USA Today, several major league general managers are rooting against the Nationals because of the way they handled the Strasburg situation.
Mike Rizzo hasn't made any fans with his handling of Stephen Strasburg. (AP Photo)

"If we don't win the World Series, I don't care who does," one general manager told USA Today, "as long as it's not those guys. They don't deserve to win it. Not after what they did.”

Added another: "I hope they go down in flames. I hope it takes another 79 years before they get back to the playoffs. That's how strongly I feel about it."

Why is everyone so upset? USA Today reports the Nationals rubbed their rivals the wrong way with their defiant approach with Strasburg, insinuating that they were smarter than every other team and that they were ensuring themselves of a prolonged run of postseason success.

Perhaps the most damaging quote belonged to Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo after the team clinched its first NL East title: “We'll be back and doing this a couple more times."

Rizzo reacted angrily on Thursday, calling the anonymous quotes "chicken(bleep)" in nature, according to CBSSports.com. "That's not how we do things in my neighborhood," Rizzo said. He also doesn't regret shutting down Strasburg, who Rizzo said was wearing down late in the season.

Rizzo also didn't apologize for the "we'll be back" comment; he figures all teams should feel that way.

Rizzo added that if the execs had put their names in front of those statements, he would have confronted them at next month's GM meetings.

Atleast Rizzo isn't backing off from his words. These guys are probably just jealous.

Offline Copecwby20

Re: GMs Rooting Against Nationals
« Reply #1: October 12, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #2: October 12, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »
Yea I saw this a couple of days ago. I feel like its Sabean.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: October 12, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »