Author Topic: Danny?  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Slumpbuster

Danny?
« Topic Start: October 07, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
We're only down 2-1 in the 3rd as I write this so I hope this post is obsolete by games end BUT I can't take anymore Espinose strike outs! He led the league in K's and he looks like he is trying to lead the post season as well.
Lombo is a better contact hitter and almost as good with the glove. But alas, Davey is loyal. I hope he cracks a homer to shut me up.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Danny?
« Reply #1: October 07, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
Very much a feast-or-famine hitter, and unfortunately he appears to be in the latter mode right now.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: October 07, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
There's an Espinosa thread.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #3: October 07, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »
He's still a better player than slap hitter Lombardozzi

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #4: October 07, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »
Would you prefer ground balls with runners on base?

Offline RD

« Reply #5: October 07, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
He's dogcrap. I normally root for local guys to me, but he's done nothing to deseve it. It's not just striking out. It's how he Ks he takes pitches over the middle but chases them in the dirt. Absolutely brutal.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: October 07, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
Would you prefer ground balls with runners on base?

Yes. Ground balls can become singles. Strikeouts can not.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #7: October 07, 2012, 05:51:33 PM »
Lombo overall is a slightly worse hitter than Espinosa and definitely worse glove than Espi. Who cares if he makes more contact? He's not a better player.

Offline cowpunk

• schadenfreude
« Reply #8: October 07, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »
Danny's sac bunt today put Desmond in scoring position and later that inning the winning run.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: October 07, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
Danny's sac bunt today put Desmond in scoring position and later that inning the winning run.

That was an inexplicable decision by Danny.  I can't believe that was a callled play, it was too dumb.

If he's going to bunt, it HAS to be past the pitcher, in order to score Morse.  You'd NEVER try just to bunt the runner on first over to second when you've got the tying run on third begging to be driven in.  A flyball medium depth or more, a groundball to the right side of the infield, a hit (novel thought), any of these are better outcomes than a poor bunt that doesn't score Morse.

And Morse looked completely surprised by the call as well.  Did anybody see the postgame Davey interview, and did he get asked about the Espinosa failure?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: October 07, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »
That was an inexplicable decision by Danny.  I can't believe that was a callled play, it was too dumb.

If he's going to bunt, it HAS to be past the pitcher, in order to score Morse.  You'd NEVER try just to bunt the runner on first over to second when you've got the tying run on third begging to be driven in.  A flyball medium depth or more, a groundball to the right side of the infield, a hit (novel thought), any of these are better outcomes than a poor bunt that doesn't score Morse.

And Morse looked completely surprised by the call as well.  Did anybody see the postgame Davey interview, and did he get asked about the Espinosa failure?

Yes. Davey said he called for it.

On bunting with Danny Espinosa:
I think Danny, after he struck out three times in a row, put the go‑ahead run in scoring position. To go ahead was big. I don't like to bunt. I'm kind of from the Earl Weaver school: just keep swinging. Don't like to steal that much, either. I don't like to give up outs. But that's a situation where I felt like if I get one runner in scoring position, and Danny did a terrific job, perfect bunt. Actually I thought about running Edwin Jackson to third, but I didn't want to put Edwin in that situation if there was a bang‑bang play at home and lose my third game starter. But he was ready. Just something that once we got him over there, somebody get a hit and we go ahead.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2012/oct/7/nlds-game-1-davey-johnsons-postgame-comments/#ixzz28faxJwRQ

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: October 07, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
Yes. Davey said he called for it.

Thanks.

Don't agree with Davey on that one.  Not that we'd been hitting a lot of flies but I'd take two shots there instead of one. 

Offline SkinsNDeacs

« Reply #12: October 07, 2012, 10:19:29 PM »
There is no way that was a called bunt.  I just think that Danny knew he was going to strike out so he thought moving the runner to 2nd was a better option. 

As someone said...it is not his Ks that kill me but the way he Ks.  At least two of his Ks today were on pitches that bounced in front of the plate.  His batting eye makes Jeff Francoeur look like Barry Bonds. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #13: October 07, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
There is no way that was a called bunt.  I just think that Danny knew he was going to strike out so he thought moving the runner to 2nd was a better option. 

As someone said...it is not his Ks that kill me but the way he Ks.  At least two of his Ks today were on pitches that bounced in front of the plate.  His batting eye makes Jeff Francoeur look like Barry Bonds. 

I don't think Davey would lie about it in the presser.

Offline SkinsNDeacs

« Reply #14: October 07, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »
Color me shocked.

Any chance Davey is protecting Danny?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #15: October 07, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »
Thanks.

Don't agree with Davey on that one.  Not that we'd been hitting a lot of flies but I'd take two shots there instead of one. 

If you think about it... it played out like a sac bunt from a manager that doesn't call a lot... so his timing with it should be appropriately rusty and a bit confusing in usage.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #16: October 07, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »
Danny+meyer for headley.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #17: October 07, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
Danny+meyer for headley.

Where would he play?

Where would Zimmerman play?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #18: October 07, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
Where would he play?

Where would Zimmerman play?

headley could play first after laroche walks

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #19: October 07, 2012, 10:50:29 PM »
headley could play first after laroche walks

And next year if LaRoche somehow comes back?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #20: October 07, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »
And next year if LaRoche somehow comes back?

This would only be if laroche walks.  He wants a multi year deal and the nats would be pretty ignorant to sign a 33 year old first baseman coming off a career year to an extension.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: October 07, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »
When Danny bunted, the count was 0-1.  He swung and missed on the first pitch.  Seems like a case of Davey watching the first pitch and deciding he had to at least get something out of the at bat, which he did, even if it wasn't a lot and the execution wasn't terribly great.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #22: October 07, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »
I also heard Davey say he called for the bunt.  He said something about Danny not hitting in explanation for the call.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #23: October 07, 2012, 10:57:12 PM »
I also heard Davey say he called for the bunt.  He said something about Danny not hitting in explanation for the call.

If he can't hit then why not start lombo over him?  It's crunch time and you can't go with your starters just because.  Performance is key.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: October 07, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
If he can't hit then why not start lombo over him?  It's crunch time and you can't go with your starters just because.  Performance is key.

Because as I said in the gameday thread... you'd be starting an inferior player over Espinosa. That wouldn't help anything.