Author Topic: National League Division Series, Game 1  (Read 78405 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
National League Division Series, Game 1
« Topic Start: October 06, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »

Game Time: 3:00 PM (ET)   Venue: Busch Stadium   TV: TBS, SN-1   Radio: ESPN Radio

(98-64)

Gio Gonzalez
21-8, 2.89

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
LF Michael Morse
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
C Kurt Suzuki
P Gio Gonzalez

(88-74) 

Adam Wainright
20-11, 2.42

Jon Jay CF
Carlos Beltran RF
Matt Holliday LF
Allen Craig 1B
Yadier Molina C
David Freese 3B
Daniel Descalso 2B
Pete Kozma SS
Adam Wainright P

Offline hammondsnats

Re: National League Division Series, Game 1
« Reply #1: October 07, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
IN

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #2: October 07, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »
Announcers: Dick Stockton (play-by-play), Bob Brenly (analyst) and David Aldridge (reporter)

In addition to ESPN Radio, Charlie and Dave will be on 106.7 and the entire Nationals radio network to broadcast all postseason games.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #3: October 07, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
Let's do this !

Offline Jedgi

« Reply #4: October 07, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
Go Nats.

Offline In the Dark

« Reply #5: October 07, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
Is anyone else here as nervous as I am?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #6: October 07, 2012, 11:15:48 AM »
GREATEST THREAD EVER (at least so far....)

Go NATS!

:gunz:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #7: October 07, 2012, 11:16:57 AM »
Home teams are only 1-3 thus far this post-season...can this hold for today and/or tomorrow?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: October 07, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »
Nats Extra will be on MASN 30 minutes before the game, also XM 184 will carry the Nats feed.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #9: October 07, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »
I have a friend who is a huge Cardinals fan and I put my Enos Slaughter ball up on a bet that the Nats will win this series so lets do this!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: October 07, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »
Is this friend one of the ones from the, uh, "other" thread?  If so, I think I know what the stakes are in return

I have a friend who is a huge Cardinals fan and I put my Enos Slaughter ball up on a bet that the Nats will win this series so lets do this!

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #11: October 07, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »
No, a friend that I was in the Marines with. And never fear Nats fans, Alison is taking the Post Season Good Luck picture after she gets off work today. 3:00 pm cannot get here soon enough.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #12: October 07, 2012, 11:51:33 AM »
hey, trashy dino - just playoff GDT threads here or do you want to move some of the other playoff-related threads into this subforum?

I vote for just GDTs.  Maybe change the name of the subforum?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: October 07, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Enos Slaughter allegedly tried to lead a boycott of Jackie Robinson and later spiked him.   This is a balanced write up:
When Major League Baseball admitted its first black player to the league in 1947, a local sportswriter alleged that Enos Slaughter and fellow Cardinal Terry Moore tried to convince teammates to go on strike to protest Robinson being allowed to play in the National League. The rumor seemed to be given further credence three months later when Slaughter, thrown out by a mile, spiked Robinson in the thigh trying to reach first base. Some saw it as a malicious, racially-motivated attack, while others cited Slaughter’s old school, take-no-prisoners approach to the game. Robinson certainly wasn’t the only one on the receiving end of Slaughter’s aggression – that year he also spiked Giant infielder Bill Rigney and the year before had twice injured Dodger Eddie Stanky. One player told The Sporting News that Slaughter was “the dirtiest player in the league.”

For his part, Slaughter maintained he never had anything against Jackie Robinson, telling an interviewer in 1994, “There’s been a hell of a lot of stuff written on that because I was a Southern boy. It’s just a lot of baloney.” In his autobiography, he wrote that the color of Jackie Robinson’s skin was the furthest thing from his mind when he was trying to beat a throw to first base.

Here is another write up:
One widely held belief was that Slaughter was kept out because of his part in the Cardinals attempted strike in 1947, when Robinson became the first black player in the major leagues. National League president Ford Frick stepped in, threatening harsh action against the players. "If you do this, you will be suspended from the league,'' Frick told the Cardinals. "You will be outcasts. I don't care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another.'' Slaughter vehemently denied involvement in such a plan and disputed the charges of racism.

In August 1947, Slaughter spiked Robinson in a play at first base but said it was unintentional. The Dodgers were livid. "All I know is that I had my foot on the inside of the bag. I gave Slaughter plenty of room,'' Robinson said. Slaughter denied any wrongdoing. "I've never deliberately spiked anyone in my life,'' he said. "Anybody who does doesn't belong in baseball.'' Teammate Dick Schofield once described Slaughter as "a grouch, but that's the way he always was to everyone.'' "He was from the old school, the type who sharpened his spikes before a game,'' Schofield said. "He was tough for anyone to get along with.''

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #14: October 07, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
So, so hyped for this.  First time I've seen a baseball team that I root for in the playoffs :D

Flourish on these fools!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #15: October 07, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »
So, so hyped for this.  First time I've seen a baseball team that I root for in the playoffs :D

Flourish on these fools!

Read Boswell's column today ...  Hang on Meech !

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/baseball-playoffs-nationals-fans-get-ready-for-a-thrilling-ride/2012/10/06/59d11ebe-0ff5-11e2-a180-7d0c112201c9_story.html

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #16: October 07, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »
Your Quote

True, that's why he wasn't inducted into the Hall Of Fame until 1985, but still with his death in 2002, that's just a small piece of Baseball history that you won't come across anymore (Unless you have a roommate who's grandpa was really good friends with him)

Offline blue911

« Reply #17: October 07, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »
Enos Slaughter allegedly tried to lead a boycott of Jackie Robinson and later spiked him.   This is a balanced write up:
Here is another write up:

You're just mad because of the dash in '46.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #18: October 07, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
So ridiculously excited. These other Division games are so boring. LET'S GO NATS!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #19: October 07, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »
hey, trashy dino - just playoff GDT threads here or do you want to move some of the other playoff-related threads into this subforum?

I vote for just GDTs.  Maybe change the name of the subforum?

Just GDTs.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #20: October 07, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »
Who's monitoring The Chief's GDT?   I would think The Chief would recuse himself.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #21: October 07, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
Marvin Hudson is the first base umpire today. :spaz:

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #22: October 07, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
Two hours to go, today is dragging.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #23: October 07, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
Two hours to go, today is dragging.

I'm even texting people to pass the time.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24: October 07, 2012, 01:12:12 PM »
You're just mad because of the dash in '46.

Actually, my brother lit into Pesky once when he refused an autograph for a kid.  He called Pesky a worthless choker who gave away a world series by holding the ball.