Author Topic: No Respect?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Slumpbuster

No Respect?
« Topic Start: October 04, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
I like to listen to national radio sports shows now and again to hear what the non locals are saying. Today I was tuned in for over an hour and a half while the host, his guests and callers went on and on about all of the play off teams......match ups and potential match ups. There was barely a mention of the Nats.

I guess pretty soon they'll have to talk about the Nats because they'll only be a couple teams left!

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: No Respect?
« Reply #1: October 04, 2012, 08:46:57 PM »
They will talk after we start handing them their asses year after year. Enjoy it, this is likely our last year for awhile as a stealth team.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: October 04, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »
Game is played on the field, not the media. People get way too worked up about what the media does/doesn't say.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #3: October 04, 2012, 09:12:43 PM »
Game is played on the field, not the media. People get way too worked up about what the media does/doesn't say.

"sanity"  :clap:

Offline Bloo

« Reply #4: October 04, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: October 04, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »
the conversation has mostly centered around the matchups that are already set, as far as I can tell.  After tomorrow, we'll be right in the middle of it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #6: October 05, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »
Listen to Sirius/XM's MLB Network Radio.  Plenty of Nats talk today so far. 

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #7: October 05, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »
Nats won't get respect until they go out on the field and prove that this year isn't an aberration.

Offline zoom

Offline Ray D

« Reply #9: October 05, 2012, 03:53:15 PM »
I like to listen to national radio sports shows now and again to hear what the non locals are saying. Today I was tuned in for over an hour and a half while the host, his guests and callers went on and on about all of the play off teams......match ups and potential match ups. There was barely a mention of the Nats.

Do you have XM?  XM 86 (Mad Dog), XM 169 (Fox) and XM 89 (MLB).  Plenty of Nats talk. In fact, most think the Nats are the best team in the playoffs.  Of course, today, the talk is dominated by the wild card matchups, but that's to be expected.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #10: October 05, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
I think most non Washingtonians or Non-Nats fans strictly rely on the tired traditional scenarios and totally ignore this "new" team. The Yankees and Reds, or Yankees and Braves. The Nationals are still off of most baseball fans RADAR. To them the Nationals are only Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper. How many times during the season have we seen others say that The Nationals wouldn't make the playoffs once they shut down Strasburg? Or saying they would be lucky to get into the wild card play-in game and be just "one and done"?

Remember back in mid-season how everyone was all for Trout and whoever else to go to the All-Star Game INSTEAD of Bryce Harper?
Any time someone mentions a spectacular catch from this season and which one should be voted the best of the year does anybody (besides loyal Nats fans) mention Bernadina's Game SAVING catch in Houston? Of course not because people don't mention Houston much right now and they probably didn't see the highlight reel from that game.

Then Braves fans are blinded by their "Let's win this for the Chipper" chant as they knock themselves into a coma with their tomahawk chops.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #11: October 05, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »
lol here's a gem I read by Stark quoting people:

"The Nationals will be hurt because they shut down Strasburg. Can you imagine if the Tigers shut down Verlander or the Yankees shut down CC? They'd lose their ace of the staff!"

Dummies, have you even looked at our staff? We have 2 other aces on there.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #12: October 05, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
They're not Strasburg, though... Which I expect is Stark's point.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #13: October 05, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »
They're not Strasburg, though... Which I expect is Stark's point.

Strasburg's not Verlander or CC either, we really have no idea what the Nationals are missing out on based on how he finished.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #14: October 05, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
Dummies, have you even looked at our staff? We have 2 other aces on there.

And if we had Stras, we'd have 3 aces.  You can't argue that we're NOT in a worse position for not having Stras - it's a tautology.  The only way to argue that is that despite Stras' obvious talent, his arm would be so fatigued now that he'd severly underperform his talent level in the playoffs, such that we're better off with EJ or Detwiler starting than we would be with Tired Stras.  Not saying I actually believe that, but it's the only logical argument. 

The other possible counter to that is it doesn't matter, even though we're in a worse position, because our staff is so good we'll win anyway.  Which I think might be true.  Though I sure would like better a Stras v. Hudson, Gio v. Minor, ZNN v. Maholm Game 1-3 vs. the Braves.  But we're plenty good enough to win.  I ain't skeered.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #15: October 05, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
"sanity"  :clap:

x2

And really, judging by the picks by ESPN writers, we're getting our fair share of praise.

If you want disrespect, look at the Cards.  Of all the many writers on CBS Sportsline and ESPN, NONE of them picked the defending champions to even win the NL.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #16: October 05, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
There will be plenty of hype when the current Nats face the former Nats in the World Series.  :stir:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #17: October 05, 2012, 05:59:12 PM »
Strasburg's not Verlander or CC either, we really have no idea what the Nationals are missing out on based on how he finished.

+1.

Strassburg was beginning to NOT look like Strassburg.

However, it's fine if the sports entertainment bobble-heads ignore the Nats, as long as the umpires call a fair game. Just win.

(Oh, and for perspective: the Redskins were underdogs to the unbeatable Cowboys in the NFC championship before SB 17. Art Monk was "shut down" with a broken foot, so, said the smart guys, the Redskins will have no offense other than handing the ball to John Riggins. The NY Times did a sarcastic article saying that the Hogs might have pushed people around, but they would never do that to Randy White and friends. Early in Q4 Russ Grimm gets to the line, says "Hey Randy! Coach likes you so much we're going to run that same play right at you again". And they did...about ten times in a row.)

Offline Coladar

« Reply #18: October 05, 2012, 07:00:57 PM »
I was at the game Monday night about ten feet from Strasburg on the field celebrating. There was this, compared to him, short lady with black hair and yellow dress or blouse. Hugging him, crying... I assume it was his mother. I note this only in relation to the mention of Stras not starting.

Yeah, we are far worse for needing three SPs and having only two. At the same time, I fear even worse come re-signing time this will fester and brew. If we make the playoffs again, all is forgotten. If not... She looked so proud, and while I am not a mind reader, Stras... didn't. I really wish they'd at least have him prepared for a couple innings in relief. Because he's the best we have, and to prevent a bad situation down the road.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #19: October 05, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »
+1.

Strassburg was beginning to NOT look like Strassburg.

However, it's fine if the sports entertainment bobble-heads ignore the Nats, as long as the umpires call a fair game. Just win.

(Oh, and for perspective: the Redskins were underdogs to the unbeatable Cowboys in the NFC championship before SB 17. Art Monk was "shut down" with a broken foot, so, said the smart guys, the Redskins will have no offense other than handing the ball to John Riggins. The NY Times did a sarcastic article saying that the Hogs might have pushed people around, but they would never do that to Randy White and friends. Early in Q4 Russ Grimm gets to the line, says "Hey Randy! Coach likes you so much we're going to run that same play right at you again". And they did...about ten times in a row.)

LOL

Counter Trey

I remember it well

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #20: October 05, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »
We don't need no stinkin' respect.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #21: October 05, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
LOL

Counter Trey

I remember it well

50 gut

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #22: October 05, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
50 gut

Wait, I was just watching that documentary - 72 NFC Championship right - it was 50 Gut - Good Call Spidey!

We did run the Counter Trey over and over in a game though - with Riggins and the Hogs, the defense couldn't stop it.

I distinctly remember that - which game was it?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #23: October 05, 2012, 10:02:07 PM »
Wait, I was just watching that documentary - 72 NFC Championship right - it was 50 Gut - Good Call Spidey!

We did run the Counter Trey over and over in a game though - with Riggins and the Hogs, the defense couldn't stop it.

I distinctly remember that - which game was it?

No. 50 gut was the play they ran over and over again against Dallas in the 1982 Championship game leading to SB XVII against Miami. 1972 was George Allen's team.

Counter Trey was a play they ran all the time and teams struggled to stop it. Counter Trey is slight misdirection at the snap by the RB while one side of the line pulls and leads the way for the RB (usually, at least with the Skins, to the C or D gaps).

50 gut is run inside the A or B gaps. This was the play they ran at Randy White 9 or 10 times in a row to demoralize and run out the clock against Dallas in the waning moments of the Championship game. I'm going to have to dust off that tape.  :lol:

I-left, tight wing, 70 chip was the play in SB XVII that Riggins ran into the endzone for the go ahead TD!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #24: October 05, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »
No. 50 gut was the play they ran over and over again against Dallas in the 1982 Championship game leading to SB XVII against Miami. 1972 was George Allen's team.

Counter Trey was a play they ran all the time and teams struggled to stop it. Counter Trey is slight misdirection at the snap by the RB while one side of the line pulls and leads the way for the RB (usually, at least with the Skins, to the C or D gaps).

50 gut is run inside the A or B gaps. This was the play they ran at Randy White 9 or 10 times in a row to demoralize and run out the clock against Dallas in the waning moments of the Championship game. I'm going to have to dust off that tape.  :lol:

I-left, tight wing, 70 chip was the play in SB XVII that Riggins ran into the endzone for the go ahead TD!

Yes, I def remember 70 Chip for that Riggins play - ha - that was such a great moment. To think back then, I thought Standard Def was so awesome