Author Topic: Playoff GDT Discussion  (Read 1685 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Playoff GDT Discussion
« Topic Start: October 02, 2012, 12:48:04 AM »
split off from 2012 "Who's got the next GDT" topic by The Chief

...sooooooo, how do we decide who gets to do the playoff threads...

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Playoff GDT Discussion
« Reply #1: October 02, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »
me!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #2: October 02, 2012, 12:57:39 AM »
...sooooooo, how do we decide who gets to do the playoff threads...
I claimed the first playoff thread on July 28, 2012. 

Nobody took the needling that I did in 2005 and 2006, after I chose nats2playoffs as a user name, both here and on the MLB board.  This is especially sweet for all the folks who joined this Forum in the summer of 2005.  It was disheartening to see that team collapse in the second half of 2005, and then endure those 100-loss seasons.  When Rizzo hired Edwin Jackson AFTER getting Gio Gonzalez, I predicted 93 wins and a playoff berth.  (Took crap for that, too.)

I claim the first playoff game and the first World Series game, (doubters.) 

I took some crap for my user name,  both here and on the MLB board, in 2005-2006. We're going to make it this season... 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #3: October 02, 2012, 01:08:21 AM »
while you probably deserve a thread, I don't think calling it should be a thing. My post was a joke but I'd gladly make one for Ejax since I think most of my starts were all Ejax starts. But I don't care either way :P It's the same ole format that you've seen but maybe some extra work put in for crappy photoshop things.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #4: October 02, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
while you probably deserve a thread, I don't think calling it should be a thing. My post was a joke but I'd gladly make one for Ejax since I think most of my starts were all Ejax starts. But I don't care either way :P It's the same ole format that you've seen but maybe some extra work put in for crappy photoshop things.
OOPS! I didn't see your post until after I posted my reply.  Sorry! :-[
I didn't realize I made that claim SO long ago... but I knew we'd get to this day.  But starting 2 playoff games on the road SUCKS:

If the Nationals finish with the best record in the NL, they will face the winner of the National League Wild Card game, which is likely to be between the Atlanta Braves and St. Louis Cardinals. Finishing with the best record would also assure Washington home-field advantage throughout the entire MLB playoffs.

If the Nationals finish with the NL's second-best record, they will play the San Francisco Giants in the NLDS.

In both instances, the Nationals would begin the Division Series with two games on the road. Games 3, 4 and 5 would shift back to Nationals Park for the conclusion of the best-of-5 series. 

MEEP MEEP!  Road Runner

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: October 02, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »
We could do something similar to the first Strasburg game.  A collaborative effort type of thread.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #6: October 02, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
I'll write the motivational speech for the thread, as I've done in my last two GDT, if it's a collaborative effort (as if the fans need to be hyped more, but who knows?)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: October 02, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
I was going to nominate The Chief to put together the first playoff thread, like with Strasmas, but the collaboration works.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: October 02, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
so how are we marking the first "playoff GDT"?  it needs to be something other than just another game in the GDT.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #9: October 02, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »
I'll probably make a separate post-season section or something.  Still mulling it over.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #10: October 02, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »
I stand by my nomination of Welch as NLDS Game 1 starter with a history post.

EDIT: My suggestion:
NLDS Game 1 - Welch
NLDS Game 2 - The Chief
NLDS Game 5, NLCS/WS Game 7 - collaborative efforts
all other games - each WNFFer only gets to do one. If the WS is against the Orioles, hammonds is banned.*

*joke

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: October 02, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
I would be thrilled to be included on the consideration list.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #12: October 02, 2012, 02:55:55 PM »
How about whoever had the best record in this seasons' GDT count gets the first game?  It seems only fitting.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #13: October 02, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
I write silly (and sometimes serious) poetry for fun (and I dabble in freestyle rap battling as a joke) so I will write some funny and inspiring poems for the game day threads in the playoffs. I have a version of "Bryce Bryce Baby" on one of my computers where I wrote a parody of Ice Ice Baby about Bryce Harper. I'll have to dig that up and post it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #14: October 02, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
How about whoever had the best record in this seasons' GDT count gets the first game?  It seems only fitting.

That's the same as saying "Give it to Chief" :lol: 8)

Seriously though, I'm considering bowing out of this.  This season belongs to all Nats fans, I don't need or deserve any special consideration.  I'd be happy to contribute to a thread with someone else's namestamp on it, though.  My suggestion for collaborative threads was partly aimed at getting more people involved, since there are going to be a finite number of games.  You know, Game 1 as presented by <whoever>, with supplemental stuff by a few other people each game.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #15: October 02, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
Good idea Chief - maybe give it a 2012 name so it differentiates from future years

I'll probably make a separate post-season section or something.  Still mulling it over.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #16: October 02, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
I say Chief for game one and nats2playoffs for the home opener.

MarquisDeSade has to make at least one

Offline The Chief

« Reply #17: October 02, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »

Would have to be an elimination game.  "Win this game or go play russian roulette in traffic with a rusty nailgun, ice"

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #18: October 02, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »
Would have to be an elimination game.  "Win this game or go play russian roulette in traffic with a rusty nailgun, ice"

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #19: October 02, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »
I say Chief for game one and nats2playoffs for the home opener.

I decline, of course, and agree with Smithian. One addition: Smithian deserves a start because his cheering at Wrigley started this season.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #20: October 03, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »
What is process for assignmnet of GDT's for the playoffs. Do the Mods set a rotation based on results?

Half wanted to truly know the answer - Half wanted just to type this freaking question because we have not had to address it before!!!!!

Sorry if this was covered in previous pages, did not go through them all.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #21: October 03, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
Whale - usually it is who calls it.  Did you call it before MDS?  PM him if you did and work something out.  Mods do not assign.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #22: October 03, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
I think I'd be cool with a system where people claim playoff games freely, provided we don't actually know if the game will be happening. Like, if I request NLCS Game 5 right now, then I could get burned by the team sweeping or losing, but rewarded if there really is an NLCS Game 5. Does that make sense?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #23: October 03, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
How about we just call it for scheduled slots, depending on location and pitcher. And if it's not the matchup, someone else gets it if they called the pitcher!

Example:

"I call NLDS Game 3 at Home with Edwin Jackson on the mound vs the Braves with Medlen on the mound!"

lol but no, I don't know how it should work.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #24: October 03, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »
Whale - usually it is who calls it.  Did you call it before MDS?  PM him if you did and work something out.  Mods do not assign.

I'm not calling any games, I just wanted to point out we were in new territory. carry on...smiling