Author Topic: Who would you most have liked to see enjoy last night?  (Read 2587 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
AZ: "Elijah Dukes  :az:"

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Well, I thought this thread was something different, but f it anyway. I've been thinking all day about my grandfather. Through my passion for the Nats, he watched every game in 2005 and 2006. Died in December of 06 at 82. A man who was born in 1923 in Vienna, lived and worked 8 decades here, never left. The last time we made the playoffs, he was 9 and with no tv and being so young, in the depression, obviously wasn't old enough to enjoy it. Who spent his golden years without a team, never once watching an Os game even on TV. Whose hatred of baseball made me never care about baseball for the way MLB screwed our city.

Except. Every October, growing up near him, I'd go over to his house and we'd watch the playoffs. Only then was his dismay with baseball overcome by a love for the game. When I attended the first game at RFK, he was watching on TV.  My lone regret is he was too old and ill to make it to a game, but he got to watch 324 of them on TV. And he did. Every one. So when I'm rooting for the Nats in the playoffs, I'll keep thinking about how every October in the 80s and 90s, the only baseball I'd ever watch was with him, the playoffs. How he lived to see DC get a team back, but never even heard the name Strasburg or Harper. When I am cheering from my seat next week, all I will be thinking about are those October's in front of his tv. And that he at least got to watch 324 Nats games before he died.

Thanks for sharing this. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Also - Chad Cordero and Frank Robinson would be my choices.  Really just class acts and good people.

Offline Coladar

Almost the same as my pops.  :clap:

It's actually kind of doubly special for me. My grandparents lived a half a mile from me, I their only grandchild. When he died, even though my grandmother was never into baseball, for her extreme love for me and remembrance of him... Even though I was in my mid 20s, every game I went to, 70+ in even 08 and 09, I would call her when I got to the game and got home. Every time, and she'd always ask if they won. She died two years ago exactly. The last time I ever saw her before she died? We watched the game Strasburg got injured in.

So sorry for bumming the thread out, but today's been kind of somber. Living so close and being their only grandchild, their final years, even though my grandmother wasn't a baseball fan, it kind of became the central part of our relationship. So yeah, here's for all the folks who lived and died in this area over the past four decades. This ones for all of you.

And for us around to see this? Take a moment to realize how lucky we are. There are 80 years worth of DC residents who never got to see what we will next week.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
So sorry for bumming the thread out ....

Not even close ... thanks for "keepin' it real".

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Frank and Chief. Those guys shed blood and tears for this franchise and didn't exactly go out in the right manner.

Offline BigMeech

Well, I thought this thread was something different, but f it anyway. I've been thinking all day about my grandfather. Through my passion for the Nats, he watched every game in 2005 and 2006. Died in December of 06 at 82. A man who was born in 1923 in Vienna, lived and worked 8 decades here, never left. The last time we made the playoffs, he was 9 and with no tv and being so young, in the depression, obviously wasn't old enough to enjoy it. Who spent his golden years without a team, never once watching an Os game even on TV. Whose hatred of baseball made me never care about baseball for the way MLB screwed our city.

Except. Every October, growing up near him, I'd go over to his house and we'd watch the playoffs. Only then was his dismay with baseball overcome by a love for the game. When I attended the first game at RFK, he was watching on TV.  My lone regret is he was too old and ill to make it to a game, but he got to watch 324 of them on TV. And he did. Every one. So when I'm rooting for the Nats in the playoffs, I'll keep thinking about how every October in the 80s and 90s, the only baseball I'd ever watch was with him, the playoffs. How he lived to see DC get a team back, but never even heard the name Strasburg or Harper. When I am cheering from my seat next week, all I will be thinking about are those October's in front of his tv. And that he at least got to watch 324 Nats games before he died.

Five star post, my friend.  This post hit home as well, as I am also close to my grandparents and I'm glad my grandfather, who is currently 82, got to see the Nationals accomplish this.

Offline PC

I'm going through old rosters to see if any of the ex-players have mentioned it.  Haven't found anyone mentioning it yet.  Jason Bergmann, fyi, has a twitter account and he didn't mention it.

Maybe this team has burned a lot of bridges with former players.  ;)

Offline spidernat

Maybe this team has burned a lot of bridges with former players.  ;)

Let's hope so.

Offline PC

Found one:

Alex Cora ‏@ac13alex
Así qué Jayson Werth se decidió por el dinero en vez de seguir ganando. Hoy tiene las dos cosas. #NLEastChamps

Google translates:

So what Jayson Werth was decided by money rather than to keep winning. Today has both. #NLEastChamps

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Livan Hernandez deserves another vote from me since, in my eyes, he is Mr. Baseball and was one of the best personalities and pitched very well for us, actually.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
I have a few:
Nick Johnson
Brian Schneider
Chad "The Chief" Cordero
Josh Willingham
Austin Kearns
Ryan Church

Don't forget Brad Wilkerson

Offline spidernat

Don't forget Brad Wilkerson

I'm really trying to forget Wilkerson.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

What Mitlen said.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Five star post, my friend.  This post hit home as well, as I am also close to my grandparents and I'm glad my grandfather, who is currently 82, got to see the Nationals accomplish this.

wow, amazing post.  Hopefully he's watching from above.

Offline scenemissing

Adam Dunn!

No love for the big donkey? I knew he had an all time horrible year with the Sox in 2011, but I always had fun watching him.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Adam Dunn!

No love for the big donkey? I knew he had an all time horrible year with the Sox in 2011, but I always had fun watching him.

CHAD
LIVO
JOSH W
DUNN - His team was neck and neck with Detroit for awhile, so I dont feel too bad for him.  He always spoke well of us though!
Maybe I enjoy underdogs but I also liked Matt Capps.

Offline NationalHeat

Willie Harris?  :shock: I don't know why he sticks out in my mind from those 08-10 teams.

Easiest answer is Livan. I'll also throw out some old Expos names: Nick Johnson, Jose Vidro, Brad Wilkerson, only because they saw some bad Expos days. Personally I'd say Soriano only because I used to love him as a player growing up.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Stache-o-bally

Offline spidernat

With most of the ones mentioned in this thread on the team they would not have been in position to clinch anything but 4th place. 

Offline monkeyhit

It's actually kind of doubly special for me. My grandparents lived a half a mile from me, I their only grandchild. When he died, even though my grandmother was never into baseball, for her extreme love for me and remembrance of him... Even though I was in my mid 20s, every game I went to, 70+ in even 08 and 09, I would call her when I got to the game and got home. Every time, and she'd always ask if they won. She died two years ago exactly. The last time I ever saw her before she died? We watched the game Strasburg got injured in.

So sorry for bumming the thread out, but today's been kind of somber. Living so close and being their only grandchild, their final years, even though my grandmother wasn't a baseball fan, it kind of became the central part of our relationship. So yeah, here's for all the folks who lived and died in this area over the past four decades. This ones for all of you.

And for us around to see this? Take a moment to realize how lucky we are. There are 80 years worth of DC residents who never got to see what we will next week.

Very well-said. Baseball means a lot of things and makes many connections.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
With most of the ones mentioned in this thread on the team they would not have been in position to clinch anything but 4th place. 

Natitude!

I want Livo on as a bullpen coach or something. Just let him hang out with all the players.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Just in case anyone needs to be junk-punched.
Natitude!

I want Livo on as a bullpen coach or something. Just let him hang out with all the players.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Well duh.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
milledge
dukes
nyjer