Author Topic: Reports: Porter to take Houston job  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Reports: Porter to take Houston job
« Reply #50: September 28, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
This is an insane job, honestly. Home town or not, I'm not sure it is a great idea for Bo.

Before you go all Sportsfan on my ass, here's something unmentioned. Houston? Uhh... Yeah, the team moving? To the AL? A first in baseball. Brewers move from AL to NL, lose DH. Houston is a team in shambles, who also has to deal with adding a DH. The AL Central is weak, to be sure. But an NL team moving to an AL DH is unprecedented. And the Astros sucked in the NL to begin with.

No matter what happens, the fact remains Bo will go down in history. And probably stand alone for our lifespans at the very least, a manager moving a team without a DH to a league where the DH has been established for decades, and teams built around a ninth power hitter who is unathletic defensive wise. It might not even be a big deal. But since the Astros suck in the NL, I don't see this, adding a DH offseason and playing in a new league, putting them in a better position to win.

Offline blue911

« Reply #51: September 28, 2012, 07:18:04 PM »
AL Central?

Offline Coladar

« Reply #52: September 28, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
Err.. AL West. My bad. I'll leave it unaltered, but that exacerbates the point. Me? In the same league as Texas? Oakland? LAA? Uhh... Makes a huge difference from the Central with Twins, Royals, Indians, White Sox and Tigers. Damn, none of them is really all that spectacular. Huge difference, and makes my point all the more. Managing is managing, I get that. If I were Bo and felt I had a shot here? That Houston job might just be the most difficult managerial position in decades. Literally decades.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #53: September 28, 2012, 08:27:32 PM »
Err.. AL West. My bad. I'll leave it unaltered, but that exacerbates the point. Me? In the same league as Texas? Oakland? LAA? Uhh... Makes a huge difference from the Central with Twins, Royals, Indians, White Sox and Tigers. Damn, none of them is really all that spectacular. Huge difference, and makes my point all the more. Managing is managing, I get that. If I were Bo and felt I had a shot here? That Houston job might just be the most difficult managerial position in decades. Literally decades.

Maybe he welcomes a Challenge!  Just like the Military.  Hardest job he'll ever love!

Offline mimontero88

• #EatFace
« Reply #54: September 28, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »

Bo is going to have plenty of job security for a couple of years though since expectations will be so low.  So he has time to turn it around and he probably has faith in himself to do it.  And frankly I have faith in him too.  Remember we were 59-103 in 2009.  Just three years later we have the best record in baseball.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #55: September 28, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »
Bo is going to have plenty of job security for a couple of years though since expectations will be so low.  So he has time to turn it around and he probably has faith in himself to do it.  And frankly I have faith in him too.  Remember we were 59-103 in 2009.  Just three years later we have the best record in baseball.

Yeah, there is absolutely that as a factor. But the point still stands, and I think it is almost definitive that this is the hardest, most difficult, most likely to go down in flames start to a managerial career. Ever.

It's different if you bring in a guy with a past. Riggleman or Acta? Ozzie? All have a past, good or bad. Here's a guy starting his career as a manager. With a team that is horrible. His first game will be the team's first AL game with a DH. In a division as difficult as any in baseball. The AL east? Baltimore and NY are great. TB good. Boston and Toronto suck. West? Rangers and Oakland are stacked. LAA throws money. Seattle is the only weak team. And Houston is horrible, adding in a team built without a DH. Against teams they have very little scouting records on, experience with, etc.

End point? There's never been a harder managerial spot in history of modern baseball. There's never been a team going against opponents who have had DH for years, and they not. Moving into a division stacked with talent and money. If I were Porter, and I'm not, if I thought I had a shot at the Nats job? A team playoff bound, stacked for years? He might have security in Houston, but two years out with 220 losses, who will hire him then? Even though the failure is by no fault of his ability to manage.

I wish him the best, great guy who has done well for us. I just think this stands out as an incredibly bizarre, unique situation that results in the hardest job any manager has ever had to face joining a new team. Much less beginning his managing career.

And when Houston wins the 2013 WS, his HOF spot is guaranteed. If a miracle happens and they don't implode, this spot also allows him to prove he's godlike. It's a huge gamble, and the deck is stacked against him. I just thought the moving to the AL/DH was worthy of mention since it had yet to be brought up.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #56: September 29, 2012, 11:23:32 AM »
Bo is going to have plenty of job security for a couple of years though since expectations will be so low. 
I'm not sure that helped Brad Mills.  Granted, Mills was a hold over so easier to can.