Author Topic: MY LIFE AS A BASEBALL FAN SINCE CHILDHOOD  (Read 638 times)

Offline nospinzone1

MY LIFE AS A BASEBALL FAN SINCE CHILDHOOD
« Topic Start: February 22, 2007, 04:31:24 PM »

It all started when I was about a Cuban Jewish Prince of about 10 or 11 in my native Cuba. Tne newspapers there had excellent big league coverage. I originally became a Senators fan due to the Cuban players, mainly in the Senators rosters, since they had a scout named Joe Cambria, an merican of Italian heritage that was very adept at signing Cuban talent at cheap prices, just like the Griffiths were. Then I read an article about Stan Musial and then decided to become a Cardinal Fan besides a Senator fan since they were in different leagues. In 1953 I was working in the old section of Havana waiting for my family visa to come to the States. Conrado Marrero lived in a fli;phouse hotel near where i worked and used to hold court nearby before he went to the stadium in Havana. Cheap as he always was, he went to the stadium in public transportation. In talking to him he told me about where he lived during the season here (14th and Columbia Rd. NW) horrible hot rooms on top of a flower shop. He also told me that next to the flower shop there was a Cuban barbershop. The same year , 1954, Camilo Pascual came to play for the Senators and lived in the same rooms above the flower shop. Camilo and I became inseparables due to the fact that I had studied English in Cuba and I was sort of like his unofficial interpreter. Camilo was a little bit on the superstitiouis side and when he won a game, we used to get chinese food after the game and the night before he was scheduled to pitch again. Marrero was quite a wit, always with his perennial cigar in his mouth. He also rode to Griffith Stadium in the streetcar. Due to my friendship with Camilo and Ramos I was able to meet many Cuban and latin players. My God I was a teenager then in baseball heaven. Next year, Pedro Ramos came into the picture and he was quite a character, a real ladies man. Women could not resist him. Camilo and Pedro rented an apartment at 14th and N NW and roomed for a couple of years. Camilo married in 1959 to a lovely Cuban lady ande due to his friendship with me and my brother, my brother asked if they would rent a room to them. Which they did and lived during the season with us until they started having kids and started renting apartments. By then I started working at the Washington bureau of the AP as awhat they called then "copy boy" (I am afraid to lose this by hitting a wrong key, so I will continue a little later)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: MY LIFE AS A ABASEBALL FAN SINCE CHILDHOOD
« Reply #1: February 22, 2007, 11:41:50 PM »
Great history!  I'll have some dim sum for Camilo this weekend!

Offline nospinzone1

« Reply #2: February 22, 2007, 11:48:06 PM »
PARDON MY IGNORANCE....WHAT IS THAT?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #3: February 23, 2007, 01:42:44 AM »
If Camilo goes to a game, he should contact the Nationals front office so they can have him throw out the first pitch.  Let's have Camilo Pascual Day on May 20, since there's a cancellation anyway.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #4: February 23, 2007, 05:16:52 AM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: February 23, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »
If Camilo goes to a game, he should contact the Nationals front office so they can have him throw out the first pitch.  Let's have Camilo Pascual Day on May 20, since there's a cancellation anyway.
(Image removed from quote.)

Now THAT kind of day might just convince Cubiche to make the perilous journey down to RFK. 

Offline kimnat

• Special Event Co-Chair w/ Erica!
Re: MY LIFE AS A BASEBALL FAN SINCE CHILDHOOD
« Reply #6: February 23, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »
Now THAT kind of day might just convince Cubiche to make the perilous journey down to RFK. 

LOL!!  I think that's a great idea!  Hey Tom, check your email.  :)

Offline nospinzone1

« Reply #7: February 27, 2007, 04:18:32 AM »

SMALL WORLD. May 20 is a Cuban national holiday....Cubiche will probably venture to see the Cardinals providing is a day game. The reason Cubiche does not go more often to the games is that I have been "blessed" in my life with medical issues. Cubiche takes about 20 meds in the morning not counting vitamins and mineral tablets. Cubiche has cataracts and an enlarged prostate. No fun at the game what with not seeing well at distance and going to the bathroom. However, I am willing to risk my life in DC to see my long life love for the Cardinals and Senators.
(how much do you guys think Camilo and Ramos would be making in this crazy money market)?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #8: February 28, 2007, 12:10:37 AM »
I sure wish it were a day game, but for some reason, all the Saturday games seem to be 7:00 starts...Cubiche should go anyways...who knows when one can see a reigning World Series Cardinals game at RFK again (i.e. NEVER).  Take the Metro! Red Line from Rockville to Metro center, then Blue/Orange to RFK.  Puts you out a quarter mile or so from the stadium.   

BTW, I thought the final game of the WBC last season was about the coolest thing I've seen since I don't know when...there are clearly multitudes of great Cuban baseball players just waiting to break out onto a bigger stage. 

SMALL WORLD. May 20 is a Cuban national holiday....Cubiche will probably venture to see the Cardinals providing is a day game. The reason Cubiche does not go more often to the games is that I have been "blessed" in my life with medical issues. Cubiche takes about 20 meds in the morning not counting vitamins and mineral tablets. Cubiche has cataracts and an enlarged prostate. No fun at the game what with not seeing well at distance and going to the bathroom. However, I am willing to risk my life in DC to see my long life love for the Cardinals and Senators.
(how much do you guys think Camilo and Ramos would be making in this crazy money market)?