Author Topic: playoff roster & rotation (merged)  (Read 7573 times)

Offline santanaf

Re: Playoff Roster
« Reply #50: September 28, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »
dave roberts,  'nuff ced.

As long as he promises to make the Dave Roberts face after clutch steals, I say "give him the spot."

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #51: September 28, 2012, 06:11:19 PM »

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #52: September 29, 2012, 05:25:21 AM »
I am so disappointed in Jacksons lack of effort and inconsistency all season. He seems to have one great game followed by a stinker. It has been that way almost all season.I am wondering if Lannan is being considered to take his spot for the play-offs.. He has one more start this season I am assuming on the last day of the season and I guess DJ will make a decision then.

There is a reason why StL didn't resign him and why he has played on 6 different teams in six years.I am not sure I could endorse a 2-3 year contract with us unless he has a stellar post-season.I just do not see him with us next year.

Offline GSW

« Reply #53: September 29, 2012, 06:28:57 AM »
" stellar post-season" Last night Bob & FP said he had a Great post-season last year  :lmao:

If I remember correctly he lost both post-season game.... :rites:

Offline GSW

« Reply #54: September 29, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
•The Nationals hold club options for 2014 and '15 on General Manager Mike Rizzo's contract, people familiar with the deal told Adam Kilgore of The Washington Post.  That effectively means that Rizzo has just one guaranteed year remaining with the club.  Kilgore writes that the GM may use the club's success as leverage to get yet another contract extension, but the Nats don't appear to be in a rush to get that done.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #55: September 29, 2012, 07:54:52 AM »
Has this been announced or just your guess ?

C Suzuki
1B LaRoche
2B Espinosa
3B Zimmerman
SS Desmond
LF Morse
CF Harper
RF Werth

Bench:
Moore
Flores
Bernadina
Lombardozzi
Tracy
Perez (Pinch runner. Maybe Bernadina can fill this, but I have a man crush on Eury Perez.)

Rotation: (No idea how they line it up.)
Gonzalez
Zimmermann
Jackson
Detwiler

Bullpen:
Gorzelanny (I like Garcia a lot, but Gorzo still fills LR role. Wouldn't be shocked if Garcia made it over him or Mattheus.)
Gonzalez
Mattheus
Burnett
Stammen
Clippard
Storen

I think a long bench is more likely than a long bullpen. With the days off in the postseason you have time to freshen up your bullpen.

Offline nfotiu

Playoff rotation
« Reply #56: September 29, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »
If we don't clinch in the next 3 games mes, we have to pitch gio in his turn on Tuesday, which rules him out for game 1 if we end up in the 2 seed.   (on a side note, why does espn's schedule have Wang pitching Monday in place of lannan ?)

Does that mean we go Zimmermann, gio, Jackson, Detwiler, Zimmermann?   Even if do wrap up early, I don't see how they get gio available on Saturday with normal rest, probably wouldn't skip his start altogether, and doubt they want to do something funky like have him pitch 3 innings Tuesday. It seems like that will be our rotation if we play the Giants.

And they'd be set up for gio, Zimmermann, Detwiler, Jackson if we're the top seed.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #57: September 29, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »
I am so disappointed in Jacksons lack of effort and inconsistency all season. He seems to have one great game followed by a stinker. It has been that way almost all season.I am wondering if Lannan is being considered to take his spot for the play-offs.. He has one more start this season I am assuming on the last day of the season and I guess DJ will make a decision then.

There is a reason why StL didn't resign him and why he has played on 6 different teams in six years.I am not sure I could endorse a 2-3 year contract with us unless he has a stellar post-season.I just do not see him with us next year.

You have to be pretty suckalicious to have a losing record with this team.
Oh well, he's on a one-year looksee.

Offline zoom

« Reply #58: September 29, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
U
•The Nationals hold club options for 2014 and '15 on General Manager Mike Rizzo's contract, people familiar with the deal told Adam Kilgore of The Washington Post.  That effectively means that Rizzo has just one guaranteed year remaining with the club.  Kilgore writes that the GM may use the club's success as leverage to get yet another contract extension, but the Nats don't appear to be in a rush to get that done.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You Want to get rid of rizzo ?

Offline GSW

« Reply #59: September 29, 2012, 10:55:40 AM »
We could do better: 

1) He is full of himself
2) Not very good at picking up bench players the last 2 years
3) Should have started Strasburg up in April in aaa,aa,or a ball, that way we could have him now
4) Didn't pickup any help in sept to replace Strasburg
5) Has a tight rope on Bob and FP (I don't think they can say what they are thinking)

JMHO

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #60: September 29, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
We could do better: 

1) He is full of himself
3) Should have started Strasburg up in April in aaa,aa,or a ball, that way we could have him now
5) Has a tight rope on Bob and FP (I don't think they can say what they are thinking)

JMHO

1) that is not neccessarily a bad trait

2)True in 2011 but not true this year. Already resigned Tracy and they made a supersub out of Lombo. Bernadina is better off the bench than starting. Flores is a better back up than most.DeRosa may surprise in the play-offs

3) A ridicilous statement . What is the difference in innings thrown in minor league ball versus MLB

4) What is Lannan?He has pitched 4 good games and was no decisioned in his one bad outing

5) I don't the think mangerial reins extend to the broadcast team. You might want to look further up the ladder if that is fact because that is the provence of MASN . If it was a Dibble faux pas then ownership might exert pressure on MASN, under contract terms , to terminate an unacceptable employee .

I normally don't take fellow posters to task and I only apologize if you are under 18.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #61: September 29, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »
Nats also have the best pinch hitting BA and OPS in the majors.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #62: September 29, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »
We could do better: 

1) He is full of himself

JMHO

Huh?  He's built a team that with five games remaining in the season has the best record in the game in a place that has never had a winning season.  That's going to get rewarded and it should.  He needs to be locked up for the next decade, not be strung out for year to year.

And for those that said he didn't get anyone to replace SS, he did.  He got Edwin Jackson in the offseason with the luxury of having him here all season.  That's a better pick up than anyone we could have found at the deadline that would have required trading away talent. 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #63: September 29, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
We could do better: 

1) He is full of himself

JMHO

What a mind-numbingly moronic post. Go freaking play in traffic. [/MDS]

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #64: September 30, 2012, 01:16:56 AM »
After meeting a talking briefly with Rizzo, GSW's post is farther from the truth.

1.  He is quite calm individual, but is also a super scout so he has a knack for trying to find talent.  He has to be headstrong to be a GM because that type of personality is the way to win over deals.  Just look at his past with the UberAgent Scott Boras.  Many teams avoid working with him, but Rizzo has enough gaul to be able to work out deals with the guy that aren't totally insane (based off of what the Nats have gotten out of Harper and Stras, those record contracts are very warranted and still good deals)

2.  Chad Tracy, Mark DeRosa, and as of next year Kurt Suzuki.  Given that no real free agents wanted to come to Washington before last season and especially before the Werth deal, Rizzo has made a bench suited to a big game manager's standard.

3.  This is a moot point by now.  We can argue all you want but I still stand by the eye test that those first two months of the season where Stras was virtually unhittable, we don't win those games with Wang, Lannan, or anyone else because we needed a true ace to go pitch a damn near perfect game because the offense would only score one or two runs a game.

4.  Lannan and Wang have been more than serviceable since the shut down.

5.  You are an idiot.

JMHO

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: September 30, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
"If ignorance goes to $40 a barrel, I want drilling rights on his head."

I can't figure out if it was Molly Ivins or Jim Hightower who said it first. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Playoff rotation
« Reply #66: September 30, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »
Speculation about how to use Gio from Nationals Journal.  Gio's last start is scheduled for Tuesday.  Davey says he want Gio to pitch game 1.  If we do not beat out the Reds, then Game 1 will likely be Saturday in SF.  That  means pitching Gio on short rest.

The obvious answer is throw JZ game 1 and Gio game 2 in AT&T.  Per B-R, JZ has better career numbers v. SF than Gio.

Career v. SF
JZ:    .620 OPS, 4.71 K/BB, 3.19 ERA,  36.2 IP, 1.173 WHIP
Gio:  .750  OPS, 2.45 K/BB, 3.26 ERA, 30.1 IP, 1.418 WHIP

Career At AT&T
JZ:   .694 OPS, 3.00 K/BB, 3.86 ERA, 18.2 IP, 1.339 WHIP (.351 BABIP)
Gio: .814 OPS, 2.00 K/BB, 3.38 ERA, 18.2 IP, 1.500 WHIP (.315 BABIP)

At AT&T, JZ's ERA is a bit higher, but considering SF does very well v. LHP,  Gio would be on non-routine rest, and JZ's "luck" on balls in play probably had something to do with his ERA, it seems the most sensible thing would be to start JZ and throw him twice v. SF if needed for a game 5.  Either one could start the NLCS if we win the NLDS in less than 5 games.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #67: September 30, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
I might trust Lannan starting over Detwiler at this point.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #68: September 30, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
Don't be silly here

I might trust Lannan starting over Detwiler at this point.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #69: October 01, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
Looking over the roster it's becoming apparent that Tyler Moore may be the odd man out for the playoffs.

1. Suzuki
2. Flores
3. LaRoche
4. Espinosa
5. Desmond
6. Zimmerman
7. Werth
8. Harper
9. Morse
10. Lombo
11. Tracy
12. Bernadina
13. Perez 
14. Gonzalez
15. Zimmermann
16. Detwiler
17. Jackson
18. Stammen
19. Gonzalez
20. Garcia
21. Mattheus
22. Burnett
23. Clippard
24. Storen
25. DeRosa/Gorzo/Moore

Likely to be DeRosa or Gorzo.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #70: October 01, 2012, 12:13:33 PM »
12. Bernadina
13. Perez 
25. DeRosa/Gorzo/Moore

You think they'll keep both Bernadina and Perez on the roster?  Do they go with a deeper bench in the NLDS and a deeper pen in the NLCS if they get that far?

If it's between those 3, Gorzo should get the spot, he's been solid since April and we'll likely need the extra arm.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #71: October 01, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Perez would purely be a pinch runner. Bernadina could play defense or come in on a double switch.

To phrase as JCA might. Perez would be our Dave Roberts.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #72: October 01, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »
Whatever roster is ultimately released, Chien-Ming Wang had better not be on it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #73: October 01, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »
Perez would purely be a pinch runner. Bernadina could play defense or come in on a double switch.

To phrase as JCA might. Perez would be our Dave Roberts.

Sure, I'm just not sure that Bernadina couldn't also be our Dave Roberts, I think having both Bernadina and Roberts is redundant.  I wouldn't have a huge problem with him being on the roster, but if I had an option between Perez and Gorzolanny, I'd choose Gorzo.  It'll be interesting to see how Rizzo puts it together.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #74: October 01, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
Do teams typically have a guy who would basically just pinch run?