Author Topic: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 3  (Read 11769 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 3
« Reply #325: September 01, 2012, 08:23:05 PM »
It's getting him hot, pitching him, sitting him, and bringing him back.

Nonsense, Stammen and Matheus have done all season long.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #326: September 01, 2012, 08:25:19 PM »
That was a fun game to watch. Sucks that we lost, though.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #327: September 01, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
"@MarkZuckerman: Davey noted Storen's time to the plate was astronomical 2.0 seconds. "With that move, anybody can steal.""

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #328: September 01, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »
just got back from the game.  This was the first time I've seen Harper live and he didn't disappoint.  They guy does things few others can do, his hustle changes the dynamic of games.

I'm very disappointed with the loss, but I can't complain with taking two of three and nearly taking a third from a very good team.  It was nice to see Perez make his debut.  I hope J-Zimm is ok.  There were a lot of cards fans, maybe 20% of the crowd, and they seemed to be the ones who stayed until the end.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #329: September 01, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »
"@MarkZuckerman: Davey noted Storen's time to the plate was astronomical 2.0 seconds. "With that move, anybody can steal.""

That is unbelievably slow to the plate.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #330: September 01, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »
Its why he needs to close

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #331: September 02, 2012, 07:46:02 AM »
THIS DAY WITH THE '05 OVERACHIEVERS: Braves win 8-7 in 10 innings on an Andruw Jones walk-off homer...record now 69-65...http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250901115.

---

Reason we lost was because our Amstel/Heineken/Stella vendor wasn't in the stands, as he has been for most recent matchdays...the whole chemistry, the whole atmosphere was upset!

---

When is this team going to get a break from the weatherman...despite the temperature it was overcast all day, it's overcast right now (and we would have had a rain delay last night if that match had started at its original 19.05 time) and we're looking forward to 30+% chance of rain for pretty much the whole upcming week.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #332: September 02, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »
Nonsense, Stammen and Matheus have done all season long.

I've changed my mind.  Pulling Storen at that point would have been overmanaging.  Managing for a season, you need to see if Storen can handle the up and down around an inning. I  don't care what Mattheus and Stammen have done, they aren't coming of surgery at the start of the season; it is still a step up in Storen's work load, but you have to see if he can handle it.  Managing for a game, even with the longer bullpen, you do not want to get to needing Gorzo and Gonzo for the 10th and 11th, which you would if you had to burn Mattheus, Burnett, Storen, and Clippard over the 8th and 9th.

See, well reasoned arguments in a game thread sometimes can change minds.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #333: September 02, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
Today's game is going to get rained out :(

Offline blue911

« Reply #334: September 02, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
I've changed my mind.  Pulling Storen at that point would have been overmanaging.  Managing for a season, you need to see if Storen can handle the up and down around an inning. I  don't care what Mattheus and Stammen have done, they aren't coming of surgery at the start of the season; it is still a step up in Storen's work load, but you have to see if he can handle it.  Managing for a game, even with the longer bullpen, you do not want to get to needing Gorzo and Gonzo for the 10th and 11th, which you would if you had to burn Mattheus, Burnett, Storen, and Clippard over the 8th and 9th.

See, well reasoned arguments in a game thread sometimes can change minds.

In the two weeks leading up to yesterday's game, there was no difference in production between Storen and Clippard. To say that Clippard is better is to fall into the "best pitcher gets the saves " trap that you are trying to avoid.

Offline PC

« Reply #335: September 02, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
Thankfully, this thread is still open because I need to gripe a little more about the _______________ loss of the season.  The blank is because I can't figure out what adjective you use.  It's not the worst, that's the Braves, 9 run lead loss that will live in infamy.  It's probably not the most embarrassing, though Zimmermann should definitely be embarrassed by his performance.

I also don't know who to blame.  Jordan is the most obvious person but he was only doing what he could yesterday.  It wasn't his day and he's not the kind of pitcher who can get by when he's that far off.  He throws too many strikes and he's rarely wild.  That's a recipe for what happened yesterday when he's off.  Davey, on the other hand, had to see what Zimmerman had yesterday and needed to be more proactive.  The third fourth inning was the biggest problem and the fact that Zimmermann didn't finish it makes Davey all the more blamable.  Two thirds of an inning may have cost the team the game.  No reliever was likely to be as bad as Zimmermann was yesterday, considering they scored three runs after Zimmermann left the game.

The inability to hold runners is a fatal flaw that can't be overcome.  It has to fixed.   You can't get around it.  More to the point though than the base stealers, is the hits given up AFTER the bases have been stolen.  If you give up a base steal, you have to strike out the batter.  If you take 2.0 seconds to get the ball the plate, you also can't give up hits.  That's also a recipe for losing baseball.

I'm still upset about this game.

One more thing, I think the trainers were part of the problem.  Because it hasn't been that hot and humid recently, I'll bet they were less cognizant of how muggy it was going to be yesterday.  I'll bet the team, Jordan specifically, didn't properly prepare for the humidty...then he had that really long fist inning.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #336: September 02, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »
Thankfully, this thread is still open because I need to gripe a little more about the _______________ loss of the season.  The blank is because I can't figure out what adjective you use.  It's not the worst, that's the Braves, 9 run lead loss that will live in infamy.  It's probably not the most embarrassing, though Zimmermann should definitely be embarrassed by his performance.

I also don't know who to blame.  Jordan is the most obvious person but he was only doing what he could yesterday.  It wasn't his day and he's not the kind of pitcher who can get by when he's that far off.  He throws too many strikes and he's rarely wild.  That's a recipe for what happened yesterday when he's off.  Davey, on the other hand, had to see what Zimmerman had yesterday and needed to be more proactive.  The third inning was the biggest problem and the fact that Zimmermann didn't finish it makes Davey all the more blamable.  Two thirds of an inning may have cost the team the game.  No reliever was likely to be as bad as Zimmermann was yesterday, considering they scored three runs after Zimmermann left the game.

The inability to hold runners is a fatal flaw that can't be overcome.  It has to fixed.   You can't get around it.  More to the point though than the base stealers, is the hits given up AFTER the bases have been stolen.  If you give up a base steal, you have to strike out the batter.  If you take 2.0 seconds to get the ball the plate, you also can't give up hits.  That's also a recipe for losing baseball.

I'm still upset about this game.

No way is the blame on the home ump but  ...  if Znn would have gotten a similar zone as Loeshe (?), he would have fared better.   

Offline PC

« Reply #337: September 02, 2012, 11:04:18 AM »
No way is the blame on the home ump but  ...  if Znn would have gotten a similar zone as Loeshe (?), he would have fared better.   

That's true.  I had forgotten about that.  The Friese at bat in the second inning, pitch #4 would have struck him out but it was called a ball.  Pitch #6 was a two-run homer.