Author Topic: Rizzo and Johnson go at it after game...  (Read 2258 times)

Offline RL04

Re: Rizzo and Johnson go at it after game...
« Reply #25: August 27, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/335425-nats-manager-gm-shout-it-out?hpt=hp_bn16

The beginning of the end.

Oh well,  it was fun while it lasted.

Thinking of all the money I'll save by not having to buy playoff and WS tickets.

:|

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #26: August 27, 2012, 09:41:59 AM »
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/335425-nats-manager-gm-shout-it-out?hpt=hp_bn16

The beginning of the end.

Oh well,  it was fun while it lasted.

Thinking of all the money I'll save by not having to buy playoff and WS tickets.

:|
:roll:

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #27: August 27, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Two strong-headed competitive guys frustrated with a complete skidout.  I'd be more bothered if they weren't yelling at each other.  What a lousy weekend.

And I lol'ed at the Trout thing.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #28: August 27, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »
And I lol'ed at the Trout thing.
I will admit I would laugh til I cried if it came out Davey Johnson said it

Offline Fan037

« Reply #29: August 27, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »
They came into Philly flat after a very exciting series with their nearest competitor - the Braves.  They came with two injuries to two of their top players (Morse & Desmond).  And they proceded to make serious errors in judgment - Espi's base-running mistake and the LaRoche home run that wasn't a home run mistake.  Further in two of the games, the pitchers started off shakey and the middle of the line-up wasn't hitting in any of the games.

This Miami series takes on a different level of importance.  They need to end the skid.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #30: August 27, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
The phillies suck -

Nats have no one to blame for this weekend but themselves.

Stop Sucking - get back to business

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #31: August 27, 2012, 12:10:28 PM »
Don't need to lose that relaxed, confident attitude we've had for some time now.  Certainly the mental mistakes can't continue...don't think they will.  But the lineups got to get back in a groove.  We need Desi back and Morse back...we were really rolling when you've got a guy like Werth leading off.  Concerned about the hitting funk, but they were hot for a pretty good while.  Zim looked lost at the plate...need to get him back into a groove as well.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #32: August 27, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »
Do you thing this could have been an act - something staged by Rizzo & Johnson to get the team motivated ?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #33: August 27, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »
Do you thing this could have been an act - something staged by Rizzo & Johnson to get the team motivated ?

doubtful, but the fact that people "noticed" is not necessarily a bad thing either

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #34: August 27, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »
doubtful, but the fact that people "noticed" is not necessarily a bad thing either

...  a method to the madness.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #35: August 27, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
...  a method to the madness.

Hadn't thought of that...staged argument...but Davey has been around a long time, and Rizzo is a second generation baseball pro. It would be within their combined bag of tricks.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #36: August 27, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »
Maybe Desi really is the leader that Carp and Phil Wood say that he is.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #37: August 27, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
They came into Philly flat after a very exciting series with their nearest competitor - the Braves.  They came with two injuries to two of their top players (Morse & Desmond).  And they proceded to make serious errors in judgment - Espi's base-running mistake and the LaRoche home run that wasn't a home run mistake.  Further in two of the games, the pitchers started off shakey and the middle of the line-up wasn't hitting in any of the games.

This Miami series takes on a different level of importance.  They need to end the skid.

And we played the series with a 23 man roster after Morse's HBP on Friday. No Morse, no desmond. And no real backup help at MI.

Agreed, I sure would like to see the Nats go out and beat the snot out of the Marlins tomorrow and Wednesday nights.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #38: August 27, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »

JOHNSON-RIZZO DUSTUP
Hi Bos... what are you hearing about this? A big deal -- or just two smart, intense guys blowing off steam? And what precipated it -- specific issue(s) or just general frustration? Thanks.
– August 27, 2012 11:33 AM Permalink
A.
THOMAS BOSWELL :
Took a while to do some checking. Sorry. Davey definitely said afterwards, "I had a discussion with my boss." And there are reports that Davey made a comment that was overheard by reporters. But I'll let those who were there and actually overheard it repeat that. It wasn't anything that you might not say in a tart "discussion" after a third ugly loss. BUT you wouldn't want that kind of friction on a regular basis!

If some of the Nats heard or got wind of it, they might think, "All that stands between me and Runnin'-In-The-Red Rizzo chewing my butt out is this guy named Davey. And, the way I'm playing, I'm showing Davey up. So maybe I better run hard to first, hold runners at 1st base, get the signs right and not jog around the bases on doubles."

I feel like it's old times with Earl Weaver and the First Amendment Orioles where everyone said what they thought. Earl: "I'm going to send Ray Miller (pitching coach) out to the mound and have him drag Jim Palmer back into the dugout by his diapers."

We're not there yet. But I can hope. Outta here.

LOL at the Palmer comment

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #39: August 27, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »
I don't mind the occasional loss but getting swept? UGH and by the resurging Phillies? I thought it was going to be the Braves we had to go toe-to-toe with till the end of the season (and at one point the Mets), now it looks like it will be the Phrackin' Phillies. :(

Offline Clever

« Reply #40: August 27, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »
I can see why there would be frustration given where the two teams are record wise, but this sweep was due. The Nats have two of their better offensive weapons on the bench nursing injuries, and the bullpen has been sketchy. Meanwhile, the Phillies are now back to full strength with Utley and Howard in the lineup, and their starting rotation is stacked. I don't care what the records are, the Phillies on paper simply look like the better team, and they played like it. It's what they'll face in the playoffs assuming they still get their, so they better get used to it. If they don't have their A game and full lineup, they aren't going to last.
Preach, brotha!  :mg:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #41: August 27, 2012, 05:20:21 PM »
I feel like it's old times with Earl Weaver and the First Amendment Orioles where everyone said what they thought. Earl: "I'm going to send Ray Miller (pitching coach) out to the mound and have him drag Jim Palmer back into the dugout by his diapers."

...  Davey heard Earl and learned,

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #42: August 27, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »
Somebody at Nats Insider posted that Davey was heard to say, "then you can come down and manage the team."  He attributes it to Zuckerman, Kilgore, Comak and Kolko.  I haven't seen those tweets.

EDIT - Reading further down, it was Ladson that made the quote which means it's probably not true.

between this and the Trout line above, this may be the best thread this year.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #43: August 27, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »
non-story

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: August 27, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
The only reason to go to work is so you tell your boss that they're a dumb freak

Offline Clever

« Reply #45: August 27, 2012, 06:41:15 PM »
This is irrelevant to anything ever.

Offline RL04

« Reply #46: August 27, 2012, 08:57:54 PM »
non-story

A manager and GM screaming at each other for 20 minutes is never a good thing.

Tacitus: "Inquissima haec bellorum condicio est: prospera omnes sibi indicant, aduersa uni imputantur."

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #47: August 27, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »
A locker room is not like any other place - screaming in a locker room is a common occurrence. 

In an accountant's office, not so much ...

It's not a big deal and may have been done for a bit of an "effect"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #48: August 27, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
A locker room is not like any other place - screaming in a locker room is a common occurrence. 

In an accountant's office, not so much ...

It's not a big deal and may have been done for a bit of an "effect"

Hah, you must not hang around too many accountant's offices.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #49: August 27, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
Hah, you must not hang around too many accountant's offices.

Well, our accountants do get a little tense around Audit time - I actually heard our Controller say GOSH DARN IT! 

:thumbs: