Author Topic: *MIKE RIZZO DOES*: Anyone else secretly hope Jacoby Ellsbury becomes a Nat?  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Once an Expos Fan

• Nos Amours
Boy oh boy would he look good as our long-term CF and leadoff man. Speed, pop, occasional power, good fielding, youth.

Anyone else indulging in this pipe dream?

UPDATE Nov 5 - Maybe not a pipe dream: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/nationals-to-enter-a-whole-new-brand-of-free-agency/2012/11/03/5a34b8e4-25ed-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_story_1.html

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'll indulge in that pipe dream all day long

But that's all it is. A pipe dream.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Has he ever played a full season?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Why would you want him ?  Do you have a Red Sox bias ?

Boy oh boy would he look good as our long-term CF and leadoff man. Speed, pop, occasional power, good fielding, youth.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline Slateman

Has he ever played a full season?

2009 and 2011. Played the majority of 2008 (143 games)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I don't think it's even a pipe dream, but I'd take him.

Offline Once an Expos Fan

• Nos Amours
Why would you want him ?  Do you have a Red Sox bias ?

Because he's an elite player at his position?

Offline Slateman

How do you figure?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2012&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20%2cd

He has the potential to be an elite player at his position. As evidenced by his 2011 season. His 2008 & 2009 seasons were pretty good too

I'll be honest though, I'd rather have Harper here his entire career and playing CF than have Ellsbury

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Harper is gone the second he can walk.

Nothing personal, it's just business.

??? :poke:  and u know this how

Offline Bloo

The boat is full and isnt making any more trips to Tortuga.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
No point in making bets... But I will say I have a strong feeling that Harper will not stay in Washington long term.

Enjoy him while he's hear. Still have many years of enjoyment ahead of us.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Ellsbury will make plenty of bank.  The 30/30 with high OBP and great defense last year (silver slugger, golden glove, runner up for MVP) was probably a career year, but yes, he's very good.  Leadoff hitter with leadoff skills and some pop. 

I don't know whether Goodwin has the same upside.  You would have to gauge that if you wanted to make the plunge.

As for where he plays, he'd play center while Werth is in left and Harper right.  Don't forget LaRoche is not under contract for next year, and Morse is an FA after next year.

I don't think he is worth the players it'd take for a 1 year rental, so it would have to be a free agency move.  The quirky thing is th efit is not bad, especially if Zander Bogaerts can't stick at SS.  Espinosa at SS would be a great fit for them, and we have Lombo to keep 2d warm until Rendon is ready.  They also have Kalish and Jackie Bradley Jr, so it isn't 100% clear they are going to go all in to keep Ellsbury.  Most likely there's no real possibility of a deal, but we may know more about Goodwin after next year and whether he is the answer or we take the plunge for Jacoby.

Blue - chew me out.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
No point in making bets... But I will say I have a strong feeling that Harper will not stay in Washington long term.

With the exception of of the improper word usage  :tomterp batsignal: I pretty much agree.  I think we've got a better shot at keeping Stras.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
No chance I'd trade Espinosa for Ellsbury.  I'd rather sign Victorino or Bourn or trade something less than Espinosa for Span.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
With the exception of of the improper word usage  :tomterp batsignal: I pretty much agree.  I think we've got a better shot at keeping Stras.

Thank you Minty.  That "hear" was like fingernails on the chalkboard.    :lol:

Offline 24 Nats

bryce harper will be a washington national his entire mlb career.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Harper has said that the best players have stayed with one team.  He mentioned Jeter, Chipper, and maybe someone else when he said this.

Harper is a Mormon and probably a traditionalist.  I think unless something happens that hurts him somehow, he'll stay with the Nationals.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Thank you Minty.  That "hear" was like fingernails on the chalkboard.    :lol:

Totally an autocorrect by my phone!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Werth/Ellsbury/Harper with Morse at 1B would be great.

We should definitely let Laroche walk and pursue an outfielder this offseason. 

Laroche has been great for us this year sure, but he'll get absurd money (for a player of LaRoche's caliber)based off of this season in the FA market, and imo, 1B is really where Morse should be.

with Tyler Moore as his primary backup.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
[Davey] John Lannan is my fifth starter [/Davey]

People say a lot of things. Doesn't always mean it works out as they said it would.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

Destin Hood, Brian Goodwin, and Michael Taylor make him expendable 8)