Author Topic: Mets acquire Kelly Shoppach  (Read 257 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Mets acquire Kelly Shoppach
« Topic Start: August 14, 2012, 02:22:04 PM »
But we couldn't get him at the deadline?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Mets acquire Kelly Shoppach
« Reply #1: August 14, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »
Strange because the Red Sox were looking for ways to get Lavarnway out of AAA and onto the roster.  Shoppach was supposed to be better than Salty at handling pitchers, so maybe they were not quite ready to pack in the season just then.   

When no deal was cut before the deadline, I think Rizzo took the first and maybe preferred option that was available, which was Suzuki.  Suzuki was put on waivers right away.  Shoppach was not put on waivers for a week. I don't know who overplayed their hands on this one - Cherington or Rizzo.  My guess is Cherington.

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: August 14, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »
Strange because the Red Sox were looking for ways to get Lavarnway out of AAA and onto the roster.  Shoppach was supposed to be better than Salty at handling pitchers, so maybe they were not quite ready to pack in the season just then.   

When no deal was cut before the deadline, I think Rizzo took the first and maybe preferred option that was available, which was Suzuki.  Suzuki was put on waivers right away.  Shoppach was not put on waivers for a week. I don't know who overplayed their hands on this one - Cherington or Rizzo.  My guess is Cherington.

I think that Rizzo was looking for a defensive starting catcher. Shoppach has been a backup most of his career.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: August 14, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »
A guy named Kelly?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: August 14, 2012, 05:23:35 PM »
Kelly Leak.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #5: August 14, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
One of the 17?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #6: August 14, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
Game.

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #7: August 15, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »
Shoppach did not see action last night in the Mets' 3-nil loss at Cincinnati (Thole went the distance).

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #8: August 15, 2012, 10:10:28 AM »
I think that Rizzo was looking for a defensive starting catcher. Shoppach has been a backup most of his career.

Except when he was in Cleveland.  Part of his career yeah (Part time in Cleveland at times, Tampa Bay and Boston), but he would have been an excellent pickup for the Nats.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: August 15, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
Shoppach was really only an effective starter one year where he had 440 or so PAs filling in for a hurt Victor.  2008, I think. They planned to use him most of the time the next year and move Victor to first base but he bombed out.  He also had a great chance to take over full time in Tampa Bay, but bombed out there too.  This has been a bounce back year, but it was because offensively he was slotted in mostly v. LHP.  He was no more than about a 1/3 time guy.  That seems to say he's useful as a backup in particular spots.