Author Topic: September Call Ups  (Read 2747 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: September Call Ups
« Reply #25: August 17, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
No reason to start the clock on him

Does a September call up start the clock? I thought it didn't

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #26: August 17, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »
It does.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #27: August 17, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »
Oh

Nevermind then ...

Offline blue911

« Reply #28: August 17, 2012, 06:14:25 PM »
No reason to start the clock on him

Why? The 20 day rule makes a September service time inconsequential

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #29: August 17, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »
Why? The 20 day rule makes a September service time inconsequential

What does this mean?

Offline blue911

« Reply #30: August 17, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
What does this mean?

There isn't a good short answer to explain service time and all the resulting BS.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #31: August 17, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
There isn't a good short answer to explain service time and all the resulting BS.

Ok, short answer, does calling him up in September burn him in some way long term for the Nats?

Offline blue911

« Reply #32: August 17, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
Ok, short answer, does calling him up in September burn him in some way long term for the Nats?

Not in any way that can't be easily rectified.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #33: August 17, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »
Not in any way that can't be easily rectified.

Well alright then

I amend my nevermind

Call him up!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: August 17, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »
I think it matters the most if you are trying to dodge super two status.  It more or less pushes the date back from early July to early August.  If you only care about getting an extra year before free agency, it only mean you delay the call up until around May 10, rather than April 20 or so as was the case with Harper.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #35: August 18, 2012, 11:45:36 AM »
tHINK DANNY ROSENBAUM can be called up yet? 

BTW, his bobblehead night is Aug 24 at Pnats!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #36: August 18, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »
He really fell apart the second time through the EL. So, no, I'd consider it highly unlikely he gets called up.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #37: August 18, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »
Gialito. They will want him to sniff the big time.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #38: August 18, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

is this a serious post?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39: August 18, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »

then I suggest they make a scratch and sniff poster of the Anacostia rather than activate him

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #40: August 18, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #41: August 18, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #42: August 19, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
He's just getting over an elbow injury (non-surgical) and has just started his professional career in Gulf Coast.  NO NO NO NO!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: August 19, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
it only mean you delay the call up until around May 10, rather than April 20 or so as was the case with Harper.

to me that's a big deal since he's presumably coming up to start when he does get called up, I'd expect the place holder from the start of the season to his call up to be less than what you'd want from a starting player

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #44: August 19, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »
He's just getting over an elbow injury (non-surgical) and has just started his professional career in Gulf Coast.  NO NO NO NO!

You have nothing to worry about. It will not happen. 

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #45: August 20, 2012, 09:06:04 AM »
Garcia - Needs to be added to 40 man (unlikely)

I think this might be the most likely move that no one is talking about. Our bullpen is taxed right now, we could really use another reliever to take the strain off the middle guys between Burnett and Clippard. And Garcia has been amazing -- in addition to a ridiculous 0.75 ERA, he's sporing a 4.3 K/BB rate and a 2.95 GO/AO ratio. With our IF defense, he would be a DP machine...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #46: August 20, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »
Trust me. I've been calling for him to be added longer than anyone here.

That post was before Ladson said HR was going to be called up. Happy to see it.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #47: August 24, 2012, 10:30:45 AM »
Here's a really good article about possible post season rosters and September Call Ups. It's a lot more flexible than I thought

http://www.natsinsider.com/2012/08/whos-eligible-for-postseason-roster.html

This season has brought about many new ideas and emotions for the Nationals, who for the first time since they arrived in Washington are legitimately in a pennant race. And as a result of that, here's another new concept we're going to have to consider: the August 31 playoff roster deadline.

You've probably been vaguely aware of this deadline in the past but never really had to consider the ins and outs of it. Rest assured, you're not alone. I've had to learn more about all this myself, and even the Nationals front-office folks I talked to the last couple days admitted they had to take something of a crash course on the subject because they've never needed to be experts before.

So consider this an entry-level class in the suddenly pertinent matter of playoff roster construction...

You've probably heard plenty of times before that all postseason rosters must be set by August 31. But that's not entirely true. The only thing that must be set by the end of the month is the pool of players who are eligible to appear in the postseason. And even then, there are exceptions that allow more players to be added at the last minute.

The only real significance of the August 31 deadline is that it marks the final day in which a player can be acquired from another organization and be eligible to participate in the postseason. So the Nationals can't trade for someone on Sept. 1 and use him in October.

That doesn't mean a player must be on the active, big-league roster on August 31 to be eligible for the playoffs. Anyone on the 25-man roster, plus anyone on the disabled list, bereavement list or suspended list is eligible.

So that makes this the Nationals' initial pool of roster candidates (we're going to assume there are no changes in the next seven days)...

Pitchers (12): Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard, Ross Detwiler, Gio Gonzalez, Michael Gonzalez, Tom Gorzelanny, Edwin Jackson, Ryan Mattheus, Craig Stammen, Drew Storen, Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann
Catchers (2): Jesus Flores, Kurt Suzuki
Infielders (6): Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa, Adam LaRoche, Steve Lombardozzi, Chad Tracy, Ryan Zimmerman
Outfielders (5): Roger Bernadina, Bryce Harper, Tyler Moore, Michael Morse, Jayson Werth
Disabled list (6): Mark DeRosa, Cole Kimball (60-day), Wilson Ramos (60-day), Henry Rodriguez, Jhonatan Solano, Chien-Ming Wang

So that's 31 eligible players. But wait, there's more.

If any one of those 31 players is injured at the start of any postseason series, the Nationals can replace them with any other player from the organization (provided they were acquired by August 31).

Ramos will remain on the DL at season's end, so that's a playoff roster spot that can be given to someone else, whether they're on the 40-man roster or not. And it's not a stretch to think any one of those other players currently on the DL could still be there come October, opening more spots.

Which means September call-ups can be used in the postseason. That opens the door for potential additions like Corey Brown, Eury Perez, John Lannan and others we may see over the season's final month.

And truthfully, it opens the door for anyone else in the organization to be a part of October baseball. Not that this would happen in a million years, but even a guy like Carlos Alvarez (who you may remember as the fake Esmailyn Gonzalez, currently a 26-year-old shortstop at short-season Class A Auburn) could appear for the Nationals in the postseason, provided he was added to the 40-man roster.

The whole thing may sound a bit convoluted, but there's really only one key point you have to remember: If a player is in the organization on August 31 (and is still there at the end of the regular season) he's eligible for the playoffs.

Something you probably never thought about before. Certainly something I never did.

Offline Ed Stroud

« Reply #48: August 24, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
Here's a really good article about possible post season rosters and September Call Ups. It's a lot more flexible than I thought

http://www.natsinsider.com/2012/08/whos-eligible-for-postseason-roster.html

Good description - thanks.  In my opinion, the most important guy not in the top 31 or on the DL is Lannan.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49: August 24, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=26252.1000;msg=1109458
  As far as the roster for the playoffs, you must be in the organization (and I think on the 40 man roster) as of 9/1.  Among those players, I think you start with the 25 man roster at that point, plus the guys on the 15 day DL.  The guys on the DL can be activated for the playoffs or can be replaced by another guy on the 40 man as of 9/1, even if that guy was not on the 25 man roster as of 9/1.  I think this is how a few guys like K-Rod, Moore, Price, and Ellsbury made the post season rosters.
Was wrong about the 40 man by 8/31, otherwise . . .