Author Topic: Flying in for playoffs  (Read 1596 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Flying in for playoffs
« Reply #25: August 06, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
Just beat me in posting this. Gets the heart really moving.

Just a note of caution, the Red Sox were well north of 98% for a good portion of last season, and JCA can tell you how that worked out.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #26: August 06, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
ditto Atlanta
Just a note of caution, the Red Sox were well north of 98% for a good portion of last season, and JCA can tell you how that worked out.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: August 06, 2012, 07:19:47 PM »
ssshhhh . .  . don't mention ATL.  You know how whiny Sox fans are about their troubles.  That have to have the absolute worst luck.  If you say ATL was close, then it diminishes our agony.

Unless that is a strategy to make us whine about how you are taking way out uniqueness.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #28: August 06, 2012, 07:20:18 PM »
 You've got to watch those Atlanta Braves, they're sneaky....... Do we really want to see that tomahawk chop, 50 million times, in the play-offs?    Oh God "NO"......Please, Please Dear God- Give us Nats fans a break..... :worship:     

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #29: August 06, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
Stop this now!   Lalalalala I dont hear you saying playoffs!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: August 06, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »
Stop this now!   Lalalalala I dont hear you saying playoffs!

Calsgr8, you're not a jinx person too are you?    :poke:

I sincerely doubt that what you hear, or don't hear, will have any bearing on the Nats' playoff chances.   

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #31: August 06, 2012, 10:32:54 PM »
Calsgr8, you're not a jinx person too are you?    :poke:

I sincerely doubt that what you hear, or don't hear, will have any bearing on the Na :nervous:ts' playoff chances.   

Yeah. 
 :-[  Like Saturday when I saw people leave early, I was tempted to say... YOU'LL BE SORRRR RY! but didnt.

Dont think I ever startd a game day thread either! 
 :nervous:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: August 06, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »
Yeah. 

Try to use logic here.  Even if there WAS such a thing as jinxes, wouldn't the jinx fairy have to have a system for weighing the various violations, as well as reverse jinx attempts, fully evaluate their sincerity or malicious intent, as well as factor in those of opposing fans to determine the outcome?

It's a bit like voting, thousands of jinx events, so much so that a single offense hardly matters.  What if we have 73,027 jinx offenses and the other guys have 72,468, but they have some more severe ones, is it a straight up count or are they weighted?   :shrug:

But since you're a true believer   :lol:  maybe I should shutup and hear the logic from an expert.    :P   

Sportsfan could probably help, he's a true believer too, though he's heavy on the reverse jinx mojo.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #33: August 07, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »
Only Terp could make up statistics for jinxes!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #34: August 07, 2012, 08:39:56 AM »
Only Terp could make up statistics for jinxes!

:lol:

I think people get so wrapped up in themselves they can't see the larger jinx picture.  They think THEIR transgression is the only one that matters.  But in reality, this very moment all across America, there are people wearing clean underwear, kids stepping on foul lines, people mumbling "no-hitter no-hitter no-hitter" and other such horrible offenses that I'm pretty confident the jinx fairy is not going to be easily able to sort through them to balance the scales of jinx justice.    :judge:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #35: August 07, 2012, 08:47:56 AM »
I'm pretty confident the jinx fairy is not going to be easily able to sort through them to balance the scales of jinx justice.    :judge:

If you convince her minions to stop self policing, the whole house of cards might come tumbling down or you might provoke the jinxocalypse. I would kindly request your switch your allegence to all Philly teams before provoking the jinx fairy any further. :nervous:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #36: August 07, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
If you convince her minions to stop self policing, the whole house of cards might come tumbling down or you might provoke the jinxocalypse. I would kindly request your switch your allegence to all Philly teams before provoking the jinx fairy any further. :nervous:

Good point.  Part of successfully conducting enterprise jinx management (EJM) is to first survey exposures, rank in order of likelihood as well as potential impact if realized, then mitigate the top ranking ones.  In other words, don't stick your head up lest you draw fire.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #37: August 07, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »
  In other words, don't stick your head up lest you draw fire.

We always used to say, "Don't be a pop-up target."