I think we can say that Rizzo clearly won the Gio trade with Billy Beane. Probably by enough to make up for Willingham / HRod-Brown. On grounds that:
- Norris seems to be the backup catcher. Hitting about .210
- Milone has been a respectable pitcher...not an ace but not a failure.
- Cole, supposedly the high-value prospect, is back with the Nats. (And I mix up Cole and the two Meyers...)
- A's got an average starting catcher in the Morse deal...someone to replace Suzuki, who is a fine catcher though not a great hitter.
- Pea**** got traded to someplace like Houston, and was sent down. Seems like his 2011 season was the peak.
(Nats did not lose Purke, Ray, Solis, and Cole, now working up from Potomac and Harrisburg, with Giolito recovering from surgery. Of the position players from those drafts, the team has Harper and Rendon...current minors are not bulging with hitters)