Author Topic: Can we step back from the ledge, please?  (Read 12794 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Can we step back from the ledge, please?
« Reply #150: September 17, 2012, 08:22:49 AM »
They Braves have played 46 games against their remaining opponents and are 31-15.   I don't think the margin of error is what people are assuming and I don't think it's crazy to raise the redwhite flag.

:smh:

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #151: September 17, 2012, 08:32:51 AM »
This series was a BIG deal.  The division lead was cut almost in half over one weekend.  I expect the braves will win it given the remaining schedule.  Sucks. The only upside is the Nats are going to save me a small fortune on post season tickets.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #152: September 17, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »
15 games left. On six of those games the Nats have to lose and the Braves have to win at the exact same time to cut the lead. It won't happen.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #153: September 17, 2012, 08:46:04 AM »
I expect the braves will win it given the remaining schedule.  Sucks. The only upside is the Nats are going to save me a small fortune on post season tickets.

No way this happens. Keep saving your money for playoff tickets. :money:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #154: September 17, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »
This series was a BIG deal.  The division lead was cut almost in half over one weekend.  I expect the braves will win it given the remaining schedule.  Sucks. The only upside is the Nats are going to save me a small fortune on post season tickets.
No.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #155: September 17, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »
:smh:

It's funny, it seems like the only two options are panic or rationality.  Saying it's hard to see might have been going too far, but honestly things are kind of in the balance.  If you use the Braves performance in the 46 games they've played against their remaining opponents (a pretty big sample since all but 3 are divisional), and the Nats last 20 games against winning teams + the Phillies, that would give the Nats the division by one game.  This weekend was a big missed opportunity, obviously.  I know there's no point in worrying about it, but like I said I don't think people quite see that it might not be the coast to the finish line a 5.5 game lead seems like. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #156: September 17, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
Yes, we could have sealed the division up with 1 win this weekend. Big difference between 5.5 game lead and a 7.5 game lead with this few games left.

We do know for sure that this will come down to the last 3 games of the season and we have to play those Philly freakers who own us. :?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #157: September 17, 2012, 08:58:39 AM »
Anyone recall what the Red Sox/Braves leads were with 15 to go last year?

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #158: September 17, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »
No way this happens. Keep saving your money for playoff tickets. :money:

I REALLY hope you're right.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #159: September 17, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
Anyone recall what the Red Sox/Braves leads were with 15 to go last year?

After 146 games last year, the Braves lead on the Cards was 5.5 games.  They had also just lost 2 in a row to the Cards, and would be swept with game 147.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #160: September 17, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
I know there's no point in worrying about it, but like I said I don't think people quite see that it might not be the coast to the finish line a 5.5 game lead seems like. 

I never thought for one moment that the Nats would coast to the division title. The only way I would have entertained that thought was if they had taken two out three this past weekend.

If the Braves want to win this division they are going to have to play unbelievably well down the stretch because the Nats are not going to tank. The Nats have been too consistent all season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #161: September 17, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
the nats had enough coushin going into the weekend that they could afford to get swept. tack another two weeks onto the season and id be worried, as it stand, braves need to play near perfect ball for the rest of the season and the hats need to implode- one may happen, but both seems like a long shot

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #162: September 17, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »
So some silver linings for the sad clouds today

In the last 10 games

The Dodgers are 3-7
The Cardinals are 3-7
The Brewers just lost two games AT HOME to the NY Mess
The Phillies just lost THREE games to the DisAstros (LOL)
And last week the Braves got their ass handed to them in a sweep by the Brewers

Even if the Nats play way, way, way worse than they've played all year, the Braves would STILL have to pretty much win every game.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #163: September 17, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »
With the Nats going 0-16 all the Braves have to do is go 6-9 to win the division.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #164: September 17, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »

Is 35% really almost half?  You sound like how my ex wife used to talk about money.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #165: September 17, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »
Is 35% really almost half?  You sound like how my ex wife used to talk about money.

LOL

My ex would always say

Sounds expensive - (shaking his head)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #166: September 17, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
Is it wrong to be unhappy about being swept by our only competitor for the division in the final series of the season?  I'm not going to go nuts and say we lose the division, but there's absolutely nothing good to take away from this series, and I don't think there's anything wrong with being pissed about it.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #167: September 17, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »
Is it wrong to be unhappy about being swept by our only competitor for the division in the final series of the season?  I'm not going to go nuts and say we lose the division, but there's absolutely nothing good to take away from this series, and I don't think there's anything wrong with being pissed about it.

Exactly! 

:clap:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #168: September 17, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
All of that tomahawk crap really grated on my nerves.  What a crapbag team. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #169: September 17, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »
All of that tomahawk crap really grated on my nerves.  What a crapbag team. 

Honestly, I couldn't stomach to watch it.    I really dislike the whole Braves' thing  ...  top to bottom.     Sherman got it wrong.  I watched less of this series than any other three games throughout the season.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #170: September 17, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
it's obvious we got swept b/c we no longer has Strasburg...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #171: September 17, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »

Again, if this were a month, I MIGHT have agreed with you.  8.5 to 5.5 isn't really that close to half, either.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #172: September 17, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
The NFL pulled a replacement official from a Saints match yesterday when it turned out he was a Saints supporter (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-yanks-replacement-offical-from-saints-panthers-game-because-hes-a-saints-fan/2012/09/16/cdcbd5c0-0014-11e2-bbf0-e33b4ee2f0e8_story.html)...pity MLB couldn't have pulled Marietta, GA's own Marvin Hudson from this past weekend's series....

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #173: September 17, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »

Are people saying it's wrong to be pissed about it? Pretty sure the consensus is this weekend sucked donkey balls

I think they only thing people are disputing is that the division title is lost now

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #174: September 17, 2012, 10:32:57 AM »
it's obvious we got swept b/c we no longer has Strasburg...

If I can't has Strasburg - You can't has Strasburg!