Author Topic: Can we step back from the ledge, please?  (Read 12799 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Can we step back from the ledge, please?
« Reply #50: August 03, 2012, 09:44:37 AM »
I attribute my attitude to being a life long Bills and Indians fan.

Winning is nice, but without the championship, there's something missing.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #51: August 03, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »
Winning it this year would be big though- teams in this city have a way of squandering their 'something big'

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #52: August 03, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »

No question. We all want the ring and that's what you play and root for. But to consider not winning as failure (not saying you do) is crazy. There are too many great moments along the way.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #53: August 03, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »
No question. We all want the ring and that's what you play and root for. But to consider not winning as failure (not saying you do) is crazy. There are too many great moments along the way.

Are the Caps during this era a failure? I think so, but they've had some great moments

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #54: August 03, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
Are the Caps during this era a failure? I think so, but they've had some great moments

A disappointment, yes. A failure, no. Maybe that's splitting hairs but...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: August 03, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
A disappointment, yes. A failure, no. Maybe that's splitting hairs but...

I think I'd actually agree, and that's how I'd consider this season if we don't at least make a deep run in the playoffs

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #56: August 03, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
Congrats to the Washington Nationals! 2012 MLB Participants!

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #57: August 03, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »
I think I'd actually agree, and that's how I'd consider this season if we don't at least make a deep run in the playoffs

At this point for me, if we don't make the playoffs it would be a disappointment. And if we're one and done that would be a disappointment too. But if we play well in the division series and lose I would still call it a successful season. Next year the expectations will be much greater though.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #58: August 03, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
I'm kinda in between Linty and BiL. I'm enjoying the ride of a winning season and being on top of the division this late but at the end of the season there is only one winner and if it's not your team then the season is in a sense a failure.

That doesn't mean that your team is necessarily a disappointment though. Perhaps I should say there are varying degrees of failure. I would consider the Rangers failing to win the WS this season a bigger failure/disappointment then the Nationals not winning the WS.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #59: August 03, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
I had a great time at last night's game, though keeping pace  :cheers: with obed was challenging. 

However, if we don't win the WS this season, I will have to revise my view downward and consider last night's game a failure. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #60: August 03, 2012, 12:13:39 PM »
However, if we don't win the WS this season, I will have to revise my view downward and consider last night's game a failure. 
:lol:
Dang it, I want to drink with Obed. The next day it will be like the episode where Doofenshmirtz has a raging hangover.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #61: August 03, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »
:lol:
Dang it, I want to drink with Obed. The next day it will be like the episode where Doofenshmirtz has a raging hangover.

$5 Pilsner Urquells!

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #62: August 03, 2012, 12:24:53 PM »
A good time was had by all. It was just one of those games you knew we were going to win. :D :w:

I'm always down with grabbing a few beers. Let me know if you make it to town and remind which city your in these days. It is kinda random but I usually end up in Texas a couple times a year. :mg:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #63: August 03, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
I'm always down with grabbing a few beers. Let me know if you make it to town and remind which city your in these days. It is kinda random but I usually end up in Texas a couple times a year. :mg:
Random terrible Hill Country burg, but see jobs thread - might be moving to Dallas in a few weeks maybe I hope?

Offline blue911

« Reply #64: August 03, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
Random terrible Hill Country burg, but see jobs thread - might be moving to Dallas in a few weeks maybe I hope?

So you're going to be a Dallas cheerleaders?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #65: August 03, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »
I mentioned on Twitter/Facebook last night that with the Nats in the pennant race, the Olympics just weren't that interesting.  I got criticized for that by people who don't have a horse in this race.  I'm enjoying this season so much more than anything I've watched in my baseball experience.  A playoff run would only enhance it, but it won't take away how much fun this during the season.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #66: August 03, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »
Dallas is fun. A coworker of mine owns the Cock & Bull pub in lakewood, been meaning to stop by sometime.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #67: August 03, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »
So you're going to be a Dallas cheerleaders?
He's going to be an assistant in the wardrobe department. His job will be to measure the cheerleaders for their uniforms.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #68: August 03, 2012, 10:16:28 PM »
Division lead on its way to 2 games.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #69: August 03, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »
Division lead on its way to 2 games.

Back to the edge !    Man the precipice  !

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #70: August 03, 2012, 10:28:16 PM »
I freaking hate the marlins

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #71: August 03, 2012, 11:35:21 PM »
I attribute my attitude to being a life long Bills and Indians fan.

I agree 100% with this.  Winning a championship is all that really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #72: August 04, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
I freaking hate the marlins

I think OZZIE IS A WACKO JOB! No doubt in my mine he will be gone after this season......Marlins are a very strange team! Why or How in the hell did Austin Kearns end up there! He use to be one of my favorite players -way back in the day he was a National.......And Bonifacio - don't even get me started on that one........ :roll:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #73: August 04, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »
I think OZZIE IS A WACKO JOB! No doubt in my mine he will be gone after this season......Marlins are a very strange team! Why or How in the hell did Austin Kearns end up there! He use to be one of my favorite players -way back in the day he was a National.......And Bonifacio - don't even get me started on that one........ :roll:

...and pitching coach Randy St Claire...it's a bit of a Nats Alumni Association chapter down there.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #74: August 04, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »
Tonight it's JZimm vs. Buehrle.  If we lose this one I may gain a (very) slight bit of concern but JZimm is currently the ace and the stopper and I think he gets it done tonight.  Unfortunately the Braves are playing the Astros so they won't be losing any time soon but we shouldn't lose another one this series either.