Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 148541 times)

Offline UMDNats

Because it’s a great city?  We’re pretty bored with the USA so we’re looking for a new place to call home. Copenhagen is next on the list to check out.

honest question because my exposure to winnipeg is 100% through hockey and minimal research/conversations with others who have gone there - what'd you do for a week? genuinely curious because i don't know much about it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I have a friend who goes to Winnipeg every chance he gets, but that's because he manages a Northern Store (formerly Hudson Bay) in some unpronounceable place in Nunavut and Winnipeg is about all one has time for after several refueling stops on a prop plane.  And compared to where he lives, it is a megalopolis  :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
PM me if you don't like my edits. 

Offline dcpatti

Pretty sure my summer 2020 vacation is going to be to Fairbanks, Alaska to see the collegiate league (similar to the Ripken League around here) Alaska Goldpanners play whoever they will play in the Midnight Sun game. Played on the Solstice, the game starts at around 10:30pm and plays past midnight, with no electric lights, because the sun never actually sets on the Solstice that far north.

http://goldpanners.pointstreaksites.com/view/goldpanners/midnight-sun-game-59-years-at-growden

would go next year but gonna do London games instead. And if the Nats play in London in 2020 then Alaska gets pushed back a year.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Because it’s a great city?  We’re pretty bored with the USA so we’re looking for a new place to call home. Copenhagen is next on the list to check out.

Wonder if the Goldeyes have a WGFF.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
honest question because my exposure to winnipeg is 100% through hockey and minimal research/conversations with others who have gone there - what'd you do for a week? genuinely curious because i don't know much about it.

We hit up the Winnipeg Art Museum for the Impressonist and Inuit exhibits (both were excellent), we checked out the French Quarter (St. Boniface), hit up the Forks and Exchange districts downtown, took part in First Friday (when the galleries open late), toured the Canadian Mint, checked out the Civil Rights Museums, checked out houses in the Osborne District, swam in Lake Winnipeg...etc.  We mostly did things that a local would do since Winnipeg isn’t exactly a tourism hotspot like Vancouver or Toronto. Like I said, we were both checking it out in a “could we live here” way and not a “where all the white people spotz”.

One really cool thing about summers in Winnipeg is the days are INSANELY long. Granted we were there in early July but light was still out at almost 2300. The winters are brutal and long (just like Alaska and Minnesota) but the summers are glorious.  Not sure how much we’ll explore relocating since it isn’t as simple as “have parental or grand parental  link, enjoy citizenship” but it was nice to explore and consider it an option.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
We hit up the Winnipeg Art Museum for the Impressonist and Inuit exhibits (both were excellent), we checked out the French Quarter (St. Boniface), hit up the Forks and Exchange districts downtown, took part in First Friday (when the galleries open late), toured the Canadian Mint, checked out the Civil Rights Museums, checked out houses in the Osborne District, swam in Lake Winnipeg...etc.  We mostly did things that a local would do since Winnipeg isn’t exactly a tourism hotspot like Vancouver or Toronto. Like I said, we were both checking it out in a “could we live here” way and not a “where all the white people spotz”.

One really cool thing about summers in Winnipeg is the days are INSANELY long. Granted we were there in early July but light was still out at almost 2300. The winters are brutal and long (just like Alaska and Minnesota) but the summers are glorious.  Not sure how much we’ll explore relocating since it isn’t as simple as “have parental or grand parental  link, enjoy citizenship” but it was nice to explore and consider it an option.

Apparently the channel catfish fishing is world class, but I'd prefer walleye.

In the winter they run Zambonis up and down the Red River and turn it into The World's Longest Ice Rink.

Offline UMDNats

cool, thanks for the response. i have no desire to ever to go winnipeg but glad you enjoyed it :clap:

Offline NatNasty

Amtrak running a special through this Friday for travel between Aug and Nov:

https://www.amtrak.com/3-day-sale-northeast-regional-train?cmp=wsp-NER4DayJuly-Deals

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Amtrak running a special through this Friday for travel between Aug and Nov:

https://www.amtrak.com/3-day-sale-northeast-regional-train?cmp=wsp-NER4DayJuly-Deals

hmmm.  I've been doing an up and back, 2 overnight train trip  to New haven in November the past couple of years to take in a football and maybe a hockey game.  I might check this out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
cool, thanks for the response. i have no desire to ever to go winnipeg but glad you enjoyed it :clap:

Unlike my persona the true me actually enjoys the arts and progressive causes so Winnipeg is a hard Canadian city to beat when it comes to culture. Montreal is clearly a bigger (and in some ways better) town for culture and hockey but my French is terrible and I like the idea of owning a hobby farm.

Offline HalfSmokes

Unlike my persona the true me actually enjoys the arts and progressive causes so Winnipeg is a hard Canadian city to beat when it comes to culture. Montreal is clearly a bigger (and in some ways better) town for culture and hockey but my French is terrible and I like the idea of owning a hobby farm.

you might like the north east kingdom (NE vermont, I've never heard anyone outside of there actually call it that). 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Can you emigrate to Canada? How are things like health insurance managed? I had understood that they don't let adults into that plan.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Can you emigrate to Canada? How are things like health insurance managed? I had understood that they don't let adults into that plan.

I'll let AtBC handle that, though he is a citizen.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
NE Kingdom! A chance to do weed with Bill Lee!  Rolling hills to conquer on the Surly! Move to Dixville Notch so your write-in candidates gets votes counted by the press every primary season ("There was one write in for Willie Harris, A Great American.")

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
you might like the north east kingdom (NE vermont, I've never heard anyone outside of there actually call it that).

Lake Willoughby is an enchanted place.  Camped there twice - en-route to Expo 67 in Montreal we stayed an extra day it was so beautiful.  Then again in '84 or so with some friends on our way to the White Mountains in NH for a backpacking trip. It had scarcely changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Willoughby

Offline HalfSmokes

My mom is living the mds dream of being a fake farmer in hippie land. It’s not hard to own a mountain there, hers comes complete with abandoned grave yard (supposedly with an access easement l, but only ever visited by morons, woods, pastures...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
My mom is living the mds dream of being a fake farmer in hippie land. It’s not hard to own a mountain there, hers comes complete with abandoned grave yard (supposedly with an access easement l, but only ever visited by morons, woods, pastures...

If it's a man he's lately known as a "gentleman farmer", so I'm going to venture a guess your mom is a "lady farmer".   It's very in vogue. 

Offline HalfSmokes

I’m not sure it counts when your pigs end up being pets

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Arnold!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Nothing wrong with that, pigs are adorable and as smart as dogs.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Does your mom also like listening to 1980s hardcore and delta blues?  Vermont is a nice place but if I’m moving again it’s out of this country and never coming back.

Offline HalfSmokes

She’s all 70s vinyl. I’m guessing most of st johnsbury would argue they’re barely part of the country

Offline HalfSmokes

Nothing wrong with that, pigs are adorable and as smart as dogs.

300 pounds of snuggle

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Until Trump almost turned it red I used to think the same of Minnesota but it too is beginning to become too American for us.