Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 148668 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #1426: January 23, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »
 :thumbs:

AB just can't keep his grubby paws off those Cobras.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1427: January 25, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste did they have a Loft at the auction?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline imref

« Reply #1429: January 28, 2018, 04:09:59 PM »
I spent today at the National WWII museum in New Orleans, definitely worth putting on the bucket list if you are a WWII history buff.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1430: January 28, 2018, 04:32:40 PM »
Wasn't the Higgins boat designed in NO?
I spent today at the National WWII museum in New Orleans, definitely worth putting on the bucket list if you are a WWII history buff.

Offline imref

« Reply #1431: January 28, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »
Wasn't the Higgins boat designed in NO?

yes, one of the guides was talking about his father working in a Higgins boat factory.  The museum was started by Steven Ambrose.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1432: January 30, 2018, 10:44:42 AM »

Took this pic from our hotel on the Ohio River in Covington, KY while driving to / from Chicago last week.  Thought the colors of the Cincy skyline off the water were pretty cool...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1433: January 30, 2018, 10:48:17 AM »
Took this pic from our hotel on the Ohio River in Covington, KY while driving to / from Chicago last week.  Thought the colors of the Cincy skyline off the water were pretty cool...

(Image removed from quote.)

There's Natsinpwc   !!!!

OT   Love the "Rainman" bridge.    Ranks up there with the Brooklyn Bridge, though not quite  ....

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1434: February 13, 2018, 07:42:07 PM »
I'm havin' fun remembering all the great trips I took to that part of the country.    Though a bit east of the Kanab area, Monument Valley/Four Corners/Navajo Nation/Mexican Hat area is/are pretty unique landscape(s) as well.    However, based on what you're doin' (and with kids), you have a pretty nice itinerary lined up.

We’re booked!  We are actually going to stay in Page, AZ and have already booked the house for Aug 25-31.

We’re doing Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon. Apparently there are a few short hikes that begin and end in Page as well so we’ll do those.

I do have a kid who is heavy into panning for gold and gem stones. Anyone know of any cool spots around Page (less than 3 hour drive) to try?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1435: February 13, 2018, 08:05:48 PM »
We’re booked!  We are actually going to stay in Page, AZ and have already booked the house for Aug 25-31.

We’re doing Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon. Apparently there are a few short hikes that begin and end in Page as well so we’ll do those.

I do have a kid who is heavy into panning for gold and gem stones. Anyone know of any cool spots around Page (less than 3 hour drive) to try?

Glen Canyon dam ain't far from there.   It's a site to see.    I was with a different age group.     We didn't pan for gold but we did spend an afternoon at the Buckskin Tavern (at that time Arizona's longest bar) in Fredonia, AZ   :)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1436: February 20, 2018, 12:43:37 AM »
If anyone comes to OBX during the summer, I highly recommend seeing a band called Blurky's Quirky Friends.  The band is from Hatteras and they perform anywhere from Kitty Hawk to Hatteras.  They play their own songs and are a very upbeat combo of rolk, folk, & country - very much like Steely Dan.

Offline imref

« Reply #1437: February 20, 2018, 07:39:05 AM »
Just booked 2 weeks in Italy this summer

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1438: February 20, 2018, 08:39:05 AM »
Still trying to put together another 8 day Wind River range backpacking trip this August.  Gotta have logistical support from the Diamond 4 to make it work.

http://www.diamond4ranch.com/

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1439: February 20, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
Still trying to put together another 8 day Wind River range backpacking trip this August.  Gotta have logistical support from the Diamond 4 to make it work.

http://www.diamond4ranch.com/

That looks awesome....

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1440: February 20, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
where?
Just booked 2 weeks in Italy this summer

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1441: February 20, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
That looks awesome....

The terrain is rugged, but the trout are stupid where we go.    Probably haven't seen a fly since we were last there in 2012 I think.

Offline imref

« Reply #1442: February 20, 2018, 11:55:21 AM »
where?

Milan-Venice-Florence-Rome with a few side trips along the way.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1443: February 20, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »
Milan-Venice-Florence-Rome with a few side trips along the way.
Awesome. I am jealous.

More jealous of our son who is going to 17 European cities on a 3 month trek. Then he has a few days on Miami on the way back to rest up. 

Offline imref

« Reply #1444: February 20, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
Awesome. I am jealous.

More jealous of our son who is going to 17 European cities on a 3 month trek. Then he has a few days on Miami on the way back to rest up. 

Wow!  I haven't been to Europe in about 12 years.  I can't wait to get back though I'd rather be going to Germany. :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1445: February 20, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »
Wow!  I haven't been to Europe in about 12 years.  I can't wait to get back though I'd rather be going to Germany. :)

Germany over Italy??? Noooooo!!! I adored every single thing about Italy, you're going to have the absolute best time!!!

Offline imref

« Reply #1446: February 20, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »
Germany over Italy??? Noooooo!!! I adored every single thing about Italy, you're going to have the absolute best time!!!

Thanks.  I've been to Munich several times and absolutely loved my time there.  I haven't been to Italy yet though what you say is what I always hear from those who have been there.  So far I'm blown away by how easy it is to plan to move about the country without renting a car.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1447: February 20, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »
Thanks.  I've been to Munich several times and absolutely loved my time there.  I haven't been to Italy yet though what you say is what I always hear from those who have been there.  So far I'm blown away by how easy it is to plan to move about the country without renting a car.

To me they're really different experiences. Germany is awesome and Munich is my favorite city in Germany, so I'm biased, but Germany seems like a country that you visit, but that isn't wholly geared towards tourists. Venice and Florence seem to exists solely for tourists. Rome is amazing; you can just wander for hours and stumble upon ancient/medieval/renaissance almost by accident 

Offline imref

« Reply #1448: February 20, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »
To me they're really different experiences. Germany is awesome and Munich is my favorite city in Germany, so I'm biased, but Germany seems like a country that you visit, but that isn't wholly geared towards tourists. Venice and Florence seem to exists solely for tourists. Rome is amazing; you can just wander for hours and stumble upon ancient/medieval/renaissance almost by accident 

are there any sources of info that you recommend?  So far I've been digging into Tripadvisor and I just got the Rick Steves book.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1449: February 20, 2018, 05:05:06 PM »

Rome and Venice were spectacular (for some reason just didn't love Florence all that much) but to me it's all the picturesque little towns along the way-Sienna, Orvieto, Castel Gandolfo, just so many exquisite little towns you'll go through and they're all so rich in history as well you just want to stop and soak in every single one!