Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 148698 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #1250: October 30, 2017, 08:57:59 PM »
Just be sure to bring some well-marbled travel companions for the Donner Pass pot roast!

:doh:

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1251: October 31, 2017, 02:35:07 PM »
Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Jackson Hole this May.  Ordered all the books.  Any tips?  Flying to Rapid City, driving the rest of the way and flying home from Jackson. Figure 10-12 days...

If you can, hit up the evening lighting ceremony and program at Mt. Rushmore - it's a cool experience. Wind Cave and/or Jewel Cave (both NPS sites) would be good stops too. Custer State Park is spectacular as well - drive the wildlife loop road. If you have time, take the drive out to Badlands National Park.

When I drove from the Black Hills to Yellowstone last year, I headed north, drove through eastern Montana, stopped at Little Bighorn (well worth it) and then drove to the Northeast Entrance of Yellowstone. Awesome drive but the road is usually closed until Memorial Day weekend so that may not work for you. Check out http://beartoothhighway.com/. In fact, some facilities (and possibly roads) in Yellowstone don't open until late May or early June so just be prepared if winter hangs on late next year.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1252: October 31, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
Nov 8-12
SF, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Pinnacles National Park (new National Park - thanks, Obama)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1253: October 31, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
Nov 8-12
SF, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Pinnacles National Park (new National Park - thanks, Obama)

i was just in Santa Cruz a few weeks ago, beautiful spot.  The boardwalk is pretty impressive.  If you need a hotel I recommend the Hotel Paradox.  If time permits, the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose along with The Tech Museum are really good attractions.   If you are planning to visit Alcatraz book now.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1254: November 05, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »
Went to Staunton to see the fall colors.  Passed a thrift shop outside of Waynesboro called "Gio's Treasures.".

My wife offered that they wouldn't have any trophy's there...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1255: November 05, 2017, 08:02:58 PM »
Went to Staunton to see the fall colors.  Passed a thrift shop outside of Waynesboro called "Gio's Treasures.".

should have cruised up to Strasburg while you were at it.  They used to have a display of orchids there.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1256: November 05, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »

:crackup:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1257: November 06, 2017, 08:51:41 PM »
should have cruised up to Strasburg while you were at it.  They used to have a display of orchids there.

:rimshot:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1258: November 07, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »
Not anymore though. Now it's a display of heat treated spring steel. Push it, it bounces back hard.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1259: November 07, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
Not anymore though. Now it's a display of heat treated spring steel. Push it, it bounces back hard.

We were going to head up there, but I was concerned they might still have mold spores this time of year...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1260: November 07, 2017, 01:14:02 PM »
No spores, it's just Dusty.

We were going to head up there, but I was concerned they might still have mold spores this time of year...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline wj73

« Reply #1262: November 13, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
Just back from a week in Daytona Beach. Besides the usual beach activities, one day we took a 90 minute “behind the scenes” tour of the Daytona International Speedway. It was really interesting, even for a non-fan like me. We got to walk on the track at the finish line, which was banked at a surprisingly steep 18 degrees, and learned that the curves are banked at 31 degrees. We got to walk around Victory Lane, go in the press room, see the pit areas, and walk around the concourse. They also have a small museum of the track’s history, with exhibits of several models of old racing cars. The track has more than NASCAR racing -they also have truck and motorcycle race events.

The car that won the 2017 Daytona 500 was on exhibit as well. It was dented and banged up, had big clumps of dried out turf on it and was covered with confetti. Apparently what they do is once the car has gone through Victory Lane and the celebrations are over, they take the car and put it on exhibit in the museum, leaving it just as it was after the celebration, not cleaning it at all. You don’t get it back until a few days before the next years race when they get the area all cleaned up so they can put the new winner’s car in there.

I enjoyed the tour and was glad I did it, but a couple of hours of NASCAR was more than enough for me. It’s a very testosterone-heavy atmosphere and when it was done it was a bit of a relief to get out of there. But I will watch a bit of the Daytona 500 this February for the fun of seeing the places we toured.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1263: November 13, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »
Last month I took my son to Austin for the F1 race, had a great time.  Walked all the way around the outside of the compound 3 times to make sure we saw as much as possible.

He's a big F1 fan, I was just along for logistical support.    :P

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1264: November 20, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »
Heading on out tomorrow for my annual London trip (the full three weeks this time).

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1265: November 20, 2017, 03:33:36 PM »
Heading on out tomorrow for my annual London trip (the full three weeks this time).

have a safe and wonderful trip, OC!

Offline imref

« Reply #1266: November 20, 2017, 08:37:42 PM »
have fun, hopefully you have the best seat on the plane. :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1267: December 26, 2017, 06:50:33 PM »

Spent Boxing Day in Richmond at the Museum of the Fine Arts and attended the Terracotta Army exhibit of the 2,000+ year old figures. 

mitlen dropped by to say hello and he was kind enough to pose for a quick picture before he had to head back home:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1268: December 26, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
Spent Boxing Day in Richmond at the Museum of the Fine Arts and attended the Terracotta Army exhibit of the 2,000+ year old figures. 

mitlen dropped by to say hello and he was kind enough to pose for a quick picture before he had to head back home:

(Image removed from quote.)
I thought that was Jayson Werth?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1269: December 26, 2017, 07:25:11 PM »
I thought that was Jayson Werth?
no. His glove was made of stone, but he had moving parts in his swing that were closer to a windmill than a terracotta warrior.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1270: December 26, 2017, 10:36:03 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

:crackup:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1271: December 27, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »
have fun, hopefully you have the best seat on the plane. :)

Had an excellent seat in fact - Club World (business class) on British Airways - had enough frequent-flyer points to get a reward flight there. Slept like a baby on the overnight flighjt eastbound (and I don't usually sleep on planes) and was quite comfortable on the return flight. Maybe not the airline equivalent of TBSITH but very enjoyable in its own right.

On another subject: this coming September Cathay Pacific is starting nonstop service from Dulles to Hong Kong, four times a week, using Airbus A350 equipment (I've flown that aircraft with Qatar Airways and even tourist class is reasonably comfortable). I'm tempted to give it a go (15hr 55min non-stop flight - the longest I've done is 12hr). Further details: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/explore-destinations/port-launch/washington-dc.html

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1272: December 27, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »
Sitting in Sanford waiting to board the Auto Train back home. It’s 74° and sunny. Tomorrow’s gonna be a rude change.

Offline imref

« Reply #1273: December 27, 2017, 01:50:47 PM »
Sitting in Sanford waiting to board the Auto Train back home. It’s 74° and sunny. Tomorrow’s gonna be a rude change.

i love the auto train. safe travels!

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #1274: December 27, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »

My husband used to live in the next town over, and officially my office is somewhere around there too. Anyone needing restaurant/bar/shopping recommendations in that general area, just holler. I know all the cool “locals” spots. Or as cool as you can get in suburban central Florida!