Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 148646 times)

Offline wj73

Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #1225: September 27, 2017, 04:32:55 PM »
Thanks WJ.    May have already done this but yunz may check the local historical/genealogical society in Goochland CO.    I was genealogically scroungin' 15 or so years ago and stopped by the PG County society.    So happened, they had plot of all the "farms" in what is now PG County from the late 1600s.

Good idea.  There are a couple of ancestors where info is sketchy, so that could help.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1226: September 27, 2017, 04:34:18 PM »
If you are ever in the area again put the Mariners museum in Newport News on your list.

For some reason, I didn't realize that Newport News was so close to where we were until I saw the highway signs.  We'll put that on the list for next time.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1227: September 27, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »
Thanks WJ.  My USGS friend tells me they are excavating as fast as they can due to rising water levels that will consume the area in just a few decades.

The ranger at Historic Jamestown said something to that effect.  You could see where a part of the settlement has already been lost to the rising water, and more is being lost each year.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1228: October 29, 2017, 05:43:20 PM »

Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Jackson Hole this May.  Ordered all the books.  Any tips?  Flying to Rapid City, driving the rest of the way and flying home from Jackson. Figure 10-12 days...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1229: October 29, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »
Get a nice camera :shrug: seems like a great trip

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1230: October 29, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Jackson Hole this May.  Ordered all the books.  Any tips?  Flying to Rapid City, driving the rest of the way and flying home from Jackson. Figure 10-12 days...

Yellowstone - don't feel like you have to see Old Faithful.  It's as much of a tourist trap as you can have in a National Park.  Overrated!

There are bigger geysers and other thermal features that are better discovered off the beaten trail.  And you don't have to go far to see amazing things.  Get a couple of miles away from the parking area and watch it come alive.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1231: October 29, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
Yellowstone - don't feel like you have to see Old Faithful.  It's as much of a tourist trap as you can have in a National Park.  Overrated!

There are bigger geysers and other thermal features that are better discovered off the beaten trail.  And you don't have to go far to see amazing things.  Get a couple of miles away from the parking area and watch it come alive.

Good advice...kind of like what OC said about London...let it come to you...  ;)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1232: October 29, 2017, 06:31:50 PM »

We’ve been there twice. We love the Tetons above all else. You can see pretty much everything in Yellowstone in 2-3 days but the Tetons are worth more time, especially if you are a hiker.  We loved Jackson as well. If you want to do something fun and different, I recommend https://www.bart5.com/ covered wagon cookout in Jackson.   If time is short in the Tetons visit the main lodge, and take the short boat ride across Jenny lake and hike the mile to inspiration point.

Do keep in mind that May will still likely be cold and ther will be snow in that part of Wyoming.

If your path takes you through Cody, wy, check out the buffalo bill museum and the incredible gun collection.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1233: October 29, 2017, 06:36:41 PM »
We’ve been there twice. We love the Tetons above all else. You can see pretty much everything in Yellowstone in 2-3 days but the Tetons are worth more time, especially if you are a hiker.  We loved Jackson as well. If you want to do something fun and different, I recommend https://www.bart5.com/ covered wagon cookout in Jackson.   If time is short in the Tetons visit the main lodge, and take the short boat ride across Jenny lake and hike the mile to inspiration point.

Do keep in mind that May will still likely be cold and ther will be snow in that part of Wyoming.

If your path takes you through Cody, wy, check out the buffalo bill museum and the incredible gun collection.

Good tips...Cody was on my radar...but Charlie don't hike...  :hysterical:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1234: October 29, 2017, 06:47:43 PM »
Cool trip; been years since I have been there so no recs but you should enjoy just about everything you see. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1235: October 29, 2017, 07:46:37 PM »
Be ready for the ridiculous increase in national park entrance/parking fees

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1236: October 29, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »

We are lifetime Senior members...

Offline imref

« Reply #1237: October 29, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
Good tips...Cody was on my radar...but Charlie don't hike...  :hysterical:

i'd probably take a day then in the Tetons then.  The drive through it is spectacular with lots of good photo opportunities.  Stop at the lodge, and take the boat ride across Jenny Lake.

I dug up my trip notes: Here are some dining recommendations in Jackson: Sidewinder, Merry Piglets, Billy's Giant Burgers, Dornan's in Moose, Moo's ice cream.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1238: October 29, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »
Someone has to pay for that tax cut for you rich guys.   ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1239: October 29, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »
We are lifetime Senior members...
Smart deal.  I have 2 years to wait for that.

My son quit his job this summer and has spent the past couple of months driving across the country and doing many of the national parks.  I think that even the new higher prices will be worth it for what you see.  No worse than Disneyworld. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1240: October 29, 2017, 08:41:46 PM »
i'd probably take a day then in the Tetons then.  The drive through it is spectacular with lots of good photo opportunities.  Stop at the lodge, and take the boat ride across Jenny Lake.

I dug up my trip notes: Here are some dining recommendations in Jackson: Sidewinder, Merry Piglets, Billy's Giant Burgers, Dornan's in Moose, Moo's ice cream.

Awesome intel on the restaurants...thanks...

We were looking at this option for sightseeing as well:  http://jacksonholewildlifesafaris.com/summer-safaris/

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1241: October 29, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »
Smart deal.

My wife's idea...it would never have occurred to me...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1242: October 29, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
My wife's idea...it would never have occurred to me...
No doubt.

Offline imref

« Reply #1243: October 29, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »
Awesome intel on the restaurants...thanks...

We were looking at this option for sightseeing as well:  http://jacksonholewildlifesafaris.com/summer-safaris/

we did our trips on our own, but we like to hike and so we picked a couple of trails.  I'd research the tours on TripAdvisor.com and get some feedback there.  The forums on that site are usually very useful sources of information.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1244: October 30, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
I've only gone to Jackson to ski (Corbett's Couloir is where vanity goes to die), but I would imagine that May is a great time to be anywhere like that...shoulder season, nice weather, rugrats are still in school, etc. 

Offline imref

« Reply #1245: October 30, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
I've only gone to Jackson to ski (Corbett's Couloir is where vanity goes to die), but I would imagine that May is a great time to be anywhere like that...shoulder season, nice weather, rugrats are still in school, etc. 

Anytime is a great time to be in the Tetons. :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1246: October 30, 2017, 01:49:03 PM »
Anytime is a great time to be in the Tetons. :)

February?     :shrug:

Offline imref

« Reply #1247: October 30, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »
February?     :shrug:

if you like skiing, then yes.  Or you can take a snowmobile trip through yellowstone.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1248: October 30, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »
if you like skiing, then yes.  Or you can take a snowmobile trip through yellowstone.

I was thinking the Tetons might be some tough slogging.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1249: October 30, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »
Just be sure to bring some well-marbled travel companions for the Donner Pass pot roast! 
I was thinking the Tetons might be some tough slogging.