Author Topic: Jordan Zimmermann for Cy Young  (Read 3819 times)

Offline fersaltiel

Jordan Zimmermann for Cy Young
« Topic Start: July 23, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
18 quality starts, 4th in the NL in ERA, 7th in WHIP. He doesn't have the traditional winning stats (wins or Ks), but he's been the rock of this staff and his numbers definitely back him up.

At least give him an extension soon!!

Offline nobleisthyname

Re: Jordan Zimmermann for Cy Young
« Reply #1: July 23, 2012, 11:02:26 PM »
He was my dark horse candidate for being a Cy Young candidate as I was banking on the strikeouts to arrive. That hasn't happened obviously but he's still pitched amazingly while flying completely under the radar thanks to Stras, Gio, and even EJax to an extent taking the limelight.

He's our Matt Cain.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #2: July 23, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »
If we do not extend him I imagine the fury of this board will be enough to keep electricity on in DC for at least a few months.

Offline fersaltiel

« Reply #3: July 24, 2012, 12:16:19 AM »
He was my dark horse candidate for being a Cy Young candidate as I was banking on the strikeouts to arrive. That hasn't happened obviously but he's still pitched amazingly while flying completely under the radar thanks to Stras, Gio, and even EJax to an extent taking the limelight.

He's our Matt Cain.

I fail to understand how he's not considered the best pitcher in this staff, let alone considered as a Top 10 pitcher in the NL.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #4: July 24, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »
I fail to understand how he's not considered the best pitcher in this staff, let alone considered as a Top 10 pitcher in the NL.

He isn't flashy.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #5: July 24, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
I hate that davey hooked him so early, oh and early in all his recent starts when he is dominating. It seems he has a short leash despite his excellence

Offline blue911

« Reply #6: July 24, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »
I hate that davey hooked him so early, oh and early in all his recent starts when he is dominating. It seems he has a short leash despite his excellence

Why? The only way for Zimmermann to even have a chance at being effective at the end is if his innings are monitored now.

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: July 24, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
Take a look at the post season starters for the past several years. Pitchers that had an increase of 20 more IP over their previous high, by and large struggled. Pitchers that didn't fared much better. 

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #8: July 24, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »
Why? The only way for Zimmermann to even have a chance at being effective at the end is if his innings are monitored now.

Because our bullpen is throwing a lot of innings right now, especially when you think that davey has no interest in using h-rod, so it's basically a bullpen arm down.

Jordan is a long way removed for his tommy John and has been excellent for us all season and all last season also.

I know what you say about the increase in innings, but he'd onlY thrown 85 (ish) pitches.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #9: July 24, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »

Always has been mine. I think my beginning seasons prediction thread reflects that and it is not a mind fact.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #10: July 24, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
It seems he has a short leash despite his excellence

I think it just seems that way because he's so solid it always seems like he's leaving early.  He leads the Nats in IP by a good margin.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #11: July 24, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
I think it just seems that way because he's so solid it always seems like he's leaving early.  He leads the Nats in IP by a good margin.

Yep, he always goes 6, but rarely goes more, maybe it is just the worry about his innings increase.

I remember seeing a stat line which suggested his ERA went through the roof when he goes more than 6 innings, but given its such a small sample, I choose to ignore it totally

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: July 24, 2012, 10:04:54 AM »
Because our bullpen is throwing a lot of innings right now, especially when you think that davey has no interest in using h-rod, so it's basically a bullpen arm down.

Jordan is a long way removed for his tommy John and has been excellent for us all season and all last season also.

I know what you say about the increase in innings, but he'd onlY thrown 85 (ish) pitches.

We have an eight man bullpen.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #13: July 24, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »
Yeah as much as we talk about shutting Stras down a jump from 160 IP to 220-240 IP (assuming a playoff run) is asking quite a bit of JZimm's arm. I'm not advocating we shut him down as well and I think the fact that he's a few years older helps but it's something that has crossed my mind.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #14: July 24, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
We have an eight man bullpen.

And how many do you trust?

H-Rod - unusable
Gorzo- crap
Gonzalez - very average
Mattheus - solid
Stammen - above average, excellent start
Storen - easing his way back, a very good reliever though
Burnett - great season, been shaky lately
Clippard - see above

We won't have an 8 man bullpen for long, it's illogical in the NL to have such a short bench.

When werth and Tracy come back I assume we lose an arm

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #15: July 24, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
I love Zim with two Ns as much as the next Nats fan, but he won't be achieving the Cy Young this year.  He will be on the list, but he wont win.  Not enough wins AND not enough Ks.  If it was one or the other, then he would have a chance, but I don't think he could over come both.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #16: July 24, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
I'd rather wear out our bullpen than our starters.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #17: July 24, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
I'd rather wear out our bullpen than our starters.

I'd rather use them both in moderation as to not use them both up at all. A wore out pen is just as bad as wore out starters.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: July 24, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
I'd rather use them both in moderation as to not use them both up at all. A wore out pen is just as bad as wore out starters.

Yeah. That's pretty basic baseball knowledge.

One just needs to look to the Braves collapse last year to see what the consequences of a burned out pen can be in September.

Ideally you don't want to use one more than the other... but if you do... you hope it's your starters as there's a reason they are the starters.... and not in the bullpen. They can handle the innings.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #19: July 24, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »

Of course I don't want to wear either of them out but my point is that the starting pitching is more important. So I guess I disagree that a worn out pen is as bad as a worn out starting pitching staff.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: July 24, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »

unfortunately 3 of our 5 starters are looking at huge innings jumps even going 6 per start. With a rotation like that, I think either the pen or the starters are going to have to end up getting over used. If we weren't in a pennant race, maybe you could ask gio or jackson to take one for the team when they have rough starts instead of yanking them early, but I don't think we're in a situation to do that

Offline loshjott

« Reply #21: July 24, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »
Getting Storen back is huge for the pen.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: July 24, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »
Getting Storen back is huge for the pen.

Unless Davey continues to use him as ROOGY.

:crazy:

Offline loshjott

« Reply #23: July 24, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
Unless Davey continues to use him as ROOGY.

:crazy:

Yeah, that was a head scratcher, but I don't think it's permanent.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #24: July 24, 2012, 11:31:45 AM »
And how many do you trust?

H-Rod - unusable
Gorzo- crap
Gonzalez - very average
Mattheus - solid
Stammen - above average, excellent start
Storen - easing his way back, a very good reliever though
Burnett - great season, been shaky lately
Clippard - see above

We won't have an 8 man bullpen for long, it's illogical in the NL to have such a short bench.

When werth and Tracy come back I assume we lose an arm

Gorzelanny doesn't suck.