Author Topic: Nationals Radio Network  (Read 2983 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Nationals Radio Network
« Topic Start: July 23, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
Like many of you, I love listening to Charlie and Dave and I really wish the team had a larger radio network.  Many teams have really large radio network coverage areas, while the Nats are limited to a handful of smaller stations outside the metro area.  For example, the Dodgers' network includes stations in Texas and Oregon, and stations in Illinois and Indiana with a partial schedule!  Even the Orioles probably have 4-5 times as many radio affiliates as the Nats, with coverage all the way down to NC.  The Nats' listing is at http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/schedule/radio_affiliates.jsp.

On a related note, I was in the Tidewater area over the weekend and tried to pick up Saturday night's game.  The website lists 102.1 and 1490 as affiliates in that area, but they were doing some kind of sportstalk show that evening - I didn't really listen to find out if it was a local or syndicated show.  I seem to remember having this same issue trying to find a game last season down there as well.  Maybe the radio affiliates listing is not up to date?  Anyone know more?  Just curious...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Nationals Radio Network
« Reply #1: July 23, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
I am constantly frustrated by how bad the Nats network is. I have a hard time picking it up in Gaithersburg during the evening. Not acceptable. I've written to the Nats about it several times, not that they seem to care.

Like many of you, I love listening to Charlie and Dave and I really wish the team had a larger radio network.  Many teams have really large radio network coverage areas, while the Nats are limited to a handful of smaller stations outside the metro area.  For example, the Dodgers' network includes stations in Texas and Oregon, and stations in Illinois and Indiana with a partial schedule!  Even the Orioles probably have 4-5 times as many radio affiliates as the Nats, with coverage all the way down to NC.  The Nats' listing is at http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/schedule/radio_affiliates.jsp.

On a related note, I was in the Tidewater area over the weekend and tried to pick up Saturday night's game.  The website lists 102.1 and 1490 as affiliates in that area, but they were doing some kind of sportstalk show that evening - I didn't really listen to find out if it was a local or syndicated show.  I seem to remember having this same issue trying to find a game last season down there as well.  Maybe the radio affiliates listing is not up to date?  Anyone know more?  Just curious...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: July 23, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
950 in Richmond is spotty with their telecast schedule and the signal isn't all that great, as well.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #3: July 23, 2012, 08:59:27 PM »
Mlb.com - At Bat with Audio

$14.99 for the entire year. Get all home and away broadcasts for all games.

Can get it on your phone too. It's the greatest

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #4: July 23, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
If you live in VA you shouldn't be forced to pay money to listen to the Nats on the radio.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #5: July 23, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
I try not to have too many pet peeves - and I hate hearing about other people's pet peeves, but...

You oughta be able to get your home team's game loud and clear on free radio. I live 20 miles outside of DC.

I have At Bat. But there ought to be radio coverage.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #6: July 23, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »

Yeah, I have that along with XM, so I have plenty of options.  Listening on the phone really drains the battery though.  Still, I think our radio network is probably the most pathetic in MLB.  Another example:  1400AM is listed for Charlottesville and I couldn't pick up anything but static a couple weeks ago just 20 miles from C'ville.  So many people from this area go to college at Virginia Tech and Radford, so an affiliate in Roanoke or Blacksburg/Christiansburg would make sense.  I really hope they make improvements to the radio network as the team gets better.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #7: July 23, 2012, 09:32:25 PM »
I try not to have too many pet peeves - and I hate hearing about other people's pet peeves, but...

You oughta be able to get your home team's game loud and clear on free radio. I live 20 miles outside of DC.

What's a radio? Does it have tubes in it?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #8: July 23, 2012, 09:34:40 PM »
Yeah, I have that along with XM, so I have plenty of options.  Listening on the phone really drains the battery though.  Still, I think our radio network is probably the most pathetic in MLB.  Another example:  1400AM is listed for Charlottesville and I couldn't pick up anything but static a couple weeks ago just 20 miles from C'ville.  So many people from this area go to college at Virginia Tech and Radford, so an affiliate in Roanoke or Blacksburg/Christiansburg would make sense.  I really hope they make improvements to the radio network as the team gets better.

::MDS batsignal::

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #9: July 23, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »

I agree with you. But at least there are alternatives

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #10: July 23, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »
It really burns me when my favorite sports talk station, 980 goes off the air to broadcast Stinking Orioles games! Who's town is it ayway?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #11: July 24, 2012, 12:14:42 AM »
Still no radio affiliate way out here in western Maryland

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #12: July 24, 2012, 08:07:06 AM »

...and meanwhile the AngelO's still have 10 radio affiliates in the Old Dominion: http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/schedule/affiliates.jsp (scroll to bottom of page for full list).

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #13: July 24, 2012, 08:30:41 AM »
...and meanwhile the AngelO's still have 10 radio affiliates in the Old Dominion: http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/schedule/affiliates.jsp (scroll to bottom of page for full list).
Most are Am which I always had a problem receiving a signal.

I have XM in the car and AT BAT on my phone.  I like how I can catch ip with plays if I miss something while keeping score!

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #14: July 24, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »
I'm just glad I've got clear-signal FM-106.7 for all the away matches (the home ones too, of course, if for some reason I'm no longer a STH). Wasn't too bad when it was just AM-1500 (except late nights; I'm in south Arlington) but the FM is way better.

When you've got Charlie and Dave...you don't need MASN.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #15: July 24, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »
There was a story that they were pursuing the Nationals broadcasting rights. But their signal is so de-powered at night that it's all but useless.
It really burns me when my favorite sports talk station, 980 goes off the air to broadcast Stinking Orioles games! Who's town is it ayway?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #16: July 24, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
There was a story that they were pursuing the Nationals broadcasting rights. But their signal is so de-powered at night that it's all but useless.

It depends on where exactly one is - I still get AM-980 passably well in the wee hours in south Arlington (occasional interference/cross-talk), but years back when I'd pop by my parents' place in Fairfax city, just south of Fairfax circle and not that far beyond the Beltway, reception after about 19.00 ranged from faint to non-existent.

As far as getting the Nats onto AM-980 (apart from the matter of why a DC station is still carrying a team based in Baltiless), radio reception issues aside, this may prove to be one of those 'be careful what you wish for' situations, for two reasons:

(1) As long as AM-980 remains affiliated to ESPN Radio, there will be conflicts, notably in football season (Sunday/Monday Night Football and out-of-market college football; they also currently have Maryland football) and in April (they carry the full NCAA tournament), which will result in the Nats matches being seconded to AM-570, as Orioles matches already are in such circumstances. Even in south Arlington, except in rare cases wherein the environmental conditions are absolutely optimum and yours truly is a really good boy and eats all his peas and carrots, it puts out a very faint signal. And speaking of football, this brings us to the real reason why one should not want the Nats on 980...

(2) ...AM-980 is of course official Redskins Radio, and of course you know what thay means: Burgundy and Gold ueber alles. It'd be bad enough having our Sunday matches in September pre-empted and seconded to 570, but with all the Redskins programming they have other than the matches themselves (notably the all-day coverage on matchday) we could forget about getting the Nats on 980 pretty much from the opening of training camp onward.

Offline blue911

« Reply #17: July 24, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »
If you live in VA you shouldn't be forced to pay money to listen to the Nats on the radio.

No you shouldn't. But for the price of single ticket to a first run movie, you get the radio feeds for all MLB teams. I can understand not wanting to pay but the only person the you're hurting is yourself.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #18: July 24, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »
I couldn't live without Charlie and Dave, until recently I could watch nats games on my iPad at work, but when I changed jobs I wasn't afforded the same luxury so now I listen to the games live and just catch the highlights that night.

Charlie and Dave are excellent too which helps

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #19: July 24, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »
The playoffs will be on 980 and if it conflicts with a Skins game, the Nats will be on 570.

Offline adam3313

« Reply #20: July 24, 2012, 09:28:02 AM »
I've been impressed with how good of a signal I get on 1500AM from all the way up by Scranton, PA to Arlington, VA.  Helps me get the Nats games when I'm driving between.  Especially helps because of how quickly you lose 106.7 in the 270/15 area by Frederick!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #21: July 24, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »
I've been impressed with how good of a signal I get on 1500AM from all the way up by Scranton, PA to Arlington, VA.  Helps me get the Nats games when I'm driving between.  Especially helps because of how quickly you lose 106.7 in the 270/15 area by Frederick!

1500 is calibrated to broadcast north and south, it has a powerful signal that can be received at very long distances at night, but east and west it barely reaches the outer suburbs.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #22: July 24, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
1500 is calibrated to broadcast north and south, it has a powerful signal that can be received at very long distances at night, but east and west it barely reaches the outer suburbs.

In fact Ron Weber, on a Caps broadcast on AM-1500 back in the 1980's, explained this during a match interval - AM-1500 is required, per terms of its FCC licence, to generate a hyperbolic signal along the meridian (north-south) to avoid cross-talk with KSTP in St Paul, Minnesota.

That's why his broadcasts used to get a lot of call-ins from an area of eastern North Carolina and another area in eastern Ontario, both of which could pick up the signal pretty much clear-as-a-bell at evenings.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #23: July 24, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
No you shouldn't. But for the price of single ticket to a first run movie, you get the radio feeds for all MLB teams. I can understand not wanting to pay but the only person the you're hurting is yourself.

...but can you get the home feed each time, or is it like NHL Centre Ice telly where in many if not most cases one gets only the opposing team's feed (a frequent complaint of Caps fans who subscribe to that service, especially with matches against teams like the Penguins and Rangers almost constantly carrying only the opposing feed)?

Offline blue911

« Reply #24: July 24, 2012, 10:08:44 AM »
...but can you get the home feed each time, or is it like NHL Centre Ice telly where in many if not most cases one gets only the opposing team's feed (a frequent complaint of Caps fans who subscribe to that service, especially with matches against teams like the Penguins and Rangers almost constantly carrying only the opposing feed)?

all feeds are available. So for the Nats you get Charlie and Dave regardless of venue.