Author Topic: minor league scouting question  (Read 468 times)

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
minor league scouting question
« Topic Start: July 22, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »
at today's P-Nats game there were a couple of players sitting in the box seats just behind home plate working the radar gun, taking notes, and using a stop watch to time the pitcher.  In between innings fans were asking them for autographs.

Is it typical for players who aren't suited up for the game to perform these functions (I had no idea who either was).

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
Re: minor league scouting question
« Reply #1: July 22, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
Yes. Those are starting pitchers or players on the DL. Likely SP.

Instead of charting pitches from the bench, they do it from behind the plate for a better view of the action.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #2: July 22, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »
Pretty cool observation. Makes sense though, especially since good video of minor league games is hard to find

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
« Reply #3: July 22, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
Pretty cool observation. Makes sense though, especially since good video of minor league games is hard to find

Yes, some teams also make the pitchers take a video camera with them so they can send the tape back to the home base for scouting.

I was working a game between Richmond and New Hampshire, and I got talking to one of the New Hampshire pitchers... and its standard practice for Toronto (NH) to have the starting pitchers tape that night's starter and email the video back to Toronto nightly.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #4: July 22, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »
Yes, some teams also make the pitchers take a video camera with them so they can send the tape back to the home base for scouting.

I was working a game between Richmond and New Hampshire, and I got talking to one of the New Hampshire pitchers... and its standard practice for Toronto (NH) to have the starting pitchers tape that night's starter and email the video back to Toronto nightly.

they had a video camera on a tripod set up behind them for most of the game, but a guy with a p-nats shirt was managing it.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #5: July 23, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
at today's P-Nats game there were a couple of players sitting in the box seats just behind home plate working the radar gun, taking notes, and using a stop watch to time the pitcher.  In between innings fans were asking them for autographs.

Is it typical for players who aren't suited up for the game to perform these functions (I had no idea who either was).

As was pointed out, they are charting pitches for the P-Nats pitchers. They are not scouting.

In the same section, there's other guys (generally men, not exclusively), with radar guns, notebooks, etc. Those are scouts. Nats scouts. Other teams' scouts. Writers like Kevin Goldstein, etc. There was a handful of scouts there Sat. night in the rain. Watching Karns and the Pelicans pitcher.

Offline RD

« Reply #6: July 23, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »
Definitely common practice. Its also done at the high school and college level.