Author Topic: Nationals vs Giants, Game 1  (Read 17443 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Nationals vs Giants, Game 1
« Reply #600: July 03, 2012, 11:31:48 PM »
I like winning

Think of the starting pitchers in 2008...or whenever the Nats had Matt Chico and Mike Bacsik. Or Willy Mo Pena and Nook Logan...those catchers after they traded Brian Schneider...

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #601: July 04, 2012, 12:04:09 AM »
Saw some kids who held up a sign which reads TYLER CLIPPARD - THE BIG RED DOG!  Had a picture of Clifford with Tyler's face imposed on it!  Wish I took a picture!

Offline madj55

« Reply #602: July 04, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »
Great game to attend, too many Giants fans for my liking but on the plus side I didn't hear a single "O" during the National anthem for the first time in almost forever. Also shout out to the ladies in section 118 wearing white tank tops during the rain delay.

Offline PC

« Reply #603: July 04, 2012, 02:34:29 AM »
wolfblitzer: Very impressive #Nats game tonight against SF in DC. We are really for real. #Natitude

Offline Coladar

« Reply #604: July 04, 2012, 03:20:30 AM »
Think of the starting pitchers in 2008...or whenever the Nats had Matt Chico and Mike Bacsik. Or Willy Mo Pena and Nook Logan...those catchers after they traded Brian Schneider...

Never forget Logan Kensing. Never. Forget.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #605: July 04, 2012, 03:23:10 AM »
Man, this is the team that's ahead of the Dodger at the top of their division. And we destroyed them! God damn does October baseball look more likely every single day now. Damn this team rocks. Then we have the freaking clown Rockies, without the innate advantage of their clown park? I see a 5-1 homestand or better. It's good to be king, baby!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #606: July 04, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »
Great game to attend, too many Giants fans for my liking but on the plus side I didn't hear a single "O" during the National anthem for the first time in almost forever. Also shout out to the ladies in section 118 wearing white tank tops during the rain delay.

An impressive amount of fine talent on display last night.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #607: July 04, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
Very impressed with the number of #Nats fans who waited out rain delay. DC is getting behind this team.

It was the fireworks, we'd have bailed for sure otherwise, and in any case at least 75% of the fans left to stand in the rain waiting to get into the Metro.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #608: July 04, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »
"Let's Go Giants" chants loud why?

Must have been right near the broadcast booth, we only had a very small number of Giants fans in our area, maybe a dozen or so in a section with hundreds of fans, the two in the front of the section got booed and heckled hard when they held up a sign. 

Lots of Let Go Nats chants without being prompted last night.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #609: July 04, 2012, 06:38:49 AM »
Doesn't matter if you like the sports or not, but with an HDTV the following look amazing:
NASCAR Night Races
Tennis
Golf
Cinemax

How's the quality on Cinemax lately?  From what I remember they weren't ready for HD, but that was a good number of years ago.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #610: July 04, 2012, 06:54:30 AM »
With crappy cell phone reception at the ballpark for most of the night and then the rain delay the Tweet up thing was kind of a dud.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #611: July 04, 2012, 07:12:30 AM »
Comparative dates on which the Nationals notched their 46th win, each season:

2005 - 29th June (77th match of season)
2012 - 3rd July (78th match)
2011 - 10th July (92nd match)
2006 - 27th July (102nd match)
2010 - 31st July (104th match)
2007 - 31st July (106th match)
2008 - 22nd August (129th match)
2009 - 27th August (128th match)

THIS DAY WITH THE '05 OVERACHIEVERS: Sunday 3rd July 2005 was the finale of the hottest run in Nats history, a 5-4 win at Wrigley Field in 12 innings to complete a sweep of the Cubs, Schneider winning it with a solo homer...record now 50-31...http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250703116...and after that they would lose the plot....

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #612: July 04, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »
Man, this is the team that's ahead of the Dodger at the top of their division. And we destroyed them! God damn does October baseball look more likely every single day now. Damn this team rocks. Then we have the freaking clown Rockies, without the innate advantage of their clown park? I see a 5-1 homestand or better. It's good to be king, baby!

A superb offensive display by the Nats to be sure, but a lot of it too was Tim Lincecum, who seems to have made a Faustian bargain to win those two Cy Young awards - and old Mephisto seems to be collecting this season.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #613: July 04, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
Attendance was 36,985.  Very nice!

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #614: July 04, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »
I actually thought attendance was higher than that, seemed like the place was really packed.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #615: July 04, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
I actually thought attendance was higher than that, seemed like the place was really packed.

Yeah, there were no empty sections or even partial sections empty, I have no idea where those 5,000 unsold seats were located.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #616: July 04, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
It was the fireworks, we'd have bailed for sure otherwise, and in any case at least 75% of the fans left to stand in the rain waiting to get into the Metro.

:lol:

Not me.  I took a casual fan friend and we first went up to the 300 level to find another friend (Steve the autograph guy) who was chatting with Craig Heist when we got there.  Then we headed down the the S&S Club where we could enjoy a draught without having to deal with riff-raff like OC   :poke: 

Then the game restarted so we took our seats for another inning before finishing up in 131, then headed straight for the car watching the fireworks as we walked and then as we crossed the Anacostia.  Looked like they were shooting them from a boat in the river, could anyone see that?  Our view of the source was obscured by the bridge/railings.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #617: July 04, 2012, 11:35:41 AM »
Must have been right near the broadcast booth,

Correct, there was a small cluster (couple/three dozen or so) of Giants fans down behind the fair pole in left.  Have to admire their spunk, they were down quite a few runs early.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #618: July 04, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »

Not me.  I took a casual fan friend and we first went up to the 300 level to find another friend (Steve the autograph guy) who was chatting with Craig Heist when we got there.  Then we headed down the the S&S Club where we could enjoy a draught without having to deal with riff-raff like OC   :poke: 

Then the game restarted so we took our seats for another inning before finishing up in 131, then headed straight for the car watching the fireworks as we walked and then as we crossed the Anacostia.  Looked like they were shooting them from a boat in the river, could anyone see that?  Our view of the source was obscured by the bridge/railings.

We sat in our seats through the rain delay but by the eight the kids were unable to sit still so we circled the entire concourse walking around waiting for the fireworks.  After waiting through the rain my parents had to skip the fireworks because they announced that Metro was closing (and at that point we weren't even sure if the fireworks would be cancelled because the FO did a crappy job communicating with their ushers about the status.)

They were shot from a boat/barge.  We exited via the 3rd base gate and walked down by the river for a great view. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #619: July 04, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »

My friend left.  She had to work today for extra money.  Actually at the time people left; in the middle of lightning; kind of a dangerous time to leave.  Got thru to weather.com which said there was a lot of lightning strikes in the area in general and to take over.

I ran into my friend Jim and sat with him after the delay.  Then watched the fireworks.  Was on the last Orange line train to Vienna at Lenfant.  It waited at Metro Center for 10 minutes to wait for Red line folks!

Terpman, you didnt look me up on 300 level?! 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #620: July 04, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »

Terpman, you didnt look me up on 300 level?!

We walked the concourse during the rain delay but I didn't see you.  Didn't see Old Chelsea either, for that matter.  Nor Bags (a.k.a. DaveBinMd).