Author Topic: July 5: Nats to wear 1924 throwback uniforms vs Giants  (Read 9325 times)

Offline skills

If the history of the Expos was worth preserving, this team would still be in Montreal.

Offline HalfSmokes

Pedro, more than Walter Johnson. 
:couch:

So, Connie Mack never owned the team in Oakland? Jimmy Fox is a Philly?  Joe Dimaggio played for the Giants because the Seals were part of San Fransisco history?

There's a difference between team history and city history, I'm in favor of embracing the whole of a city's history and a team's history in its current location. If the Nats make the playoffs this year, as far as I'm concerned, it's their first trip

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
well - Wilkerson + Sledge >>> Soriano >>> Zimmermann, right?  I don't see how you can disconnect the two so easily.

Do the Phillies claim a tie to the As history in the city?  Did the NYY suddenly become Willie Mays's and Jackie Robison's team when those teams left?  They are part of the city's history, but not the team's. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
well - Wilkerson + Sledge >>> Soriano >>> Zimmermann, right?  I don't see how you can disconnect the two so easily.

Do the Phillies claim a tie to the As history in the city?  Did the NYY suddenly become Willie Mays's and Jackie Robison's team when those teams left?  They are part of the city's history, but not the team's. 

With the huge turnover for the first bunch of years here, the links to Montreal are minimal, the major leaguers who played for the Expos were all gone from DC in very short order.  So picking 2005 as a hard cut off point seems fair.

As far as the Phillies claiming the As history, maybe the fans did just that back when the team was new, and certainly any history of Philly baseball must include both teams.  NY is different because the Yanks, Giants, and Dodgers were all rivals.

Offline Mattionals

If the history of the Expos was worth preserving, this team would still be in Montreal.

Then you obviously don't understand the history of the Expos.  They didn't bring in fans, but who would really want to watch ANY game at Olympic Stadium?  It was a crap hole, and that is putting it VERY NICELY.  Loria (Expos owner at the time) wanted a new stadium and didn't want to pay for it.  When that ended up not being in the cards, he and MLB decided to dissolve the team and farm system so he could buy the Marlins and MLB could find a new landing spot for the shell of a franchise.

I am obviously one of the few fans that followed the team down from Montreal, but I have come to learn, cherish, and respect the history of Washington D.C.  This club should respect all facets of the team and town's baseball history.  I understand doing the throwback night for Turn Back the Clocks, but just once a season could they wear an Expos uni?  The good ones with pinstripes and solid colored hats, not the early clown suits.  Is it really too much to ask for?

Offline DPMOmaha

I am obviously one of the few fans that followed the team down from Montreal, but I have come to learn, cherish, and respect the history of Washington D.C.  This club should respect all facets of the team and town's baseball history.  I understand doing the throwback night for Turn Back the Clocks, but just once a season could they wear an Expos uni?  The good ones with pinstripes and solid colored hats, not the early clown suits.  Is it really too much to ask for?

I'm a big fan of the original uniforms, not the ones they wore in the 80's.  The original uni's w/ the late blue caps might be pretty sharp...

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
We've suffered some of the same treacherous ownership that the Expos had. I sympathize, and the New New Nats should embrace the Montreal history. Not that I think that this team is the extension of the Expos, or that Washington's baseball history began in 2005.

So: the last Washington RoY was Bob Allison, 1959, slugging CF. I remember Andre Dawson, but had not attachment to him.

Randomly on team records: the expansion Senators were treated as having been founded in 1901; records transferred over. We fans did not feel that way, having suffered through the sell-off and reconstruction of the Nats in the '50s. The Griffith family had no outside money, did not build a farm system, looked back to the 1950 census to convince themselves that Washington was the smallest city in the AL. Just as Killebrew returned from the minors, as Allison emerged, as  they acquired Earl Battey, as Pascual, Ramos, Jim Kaat, Don Mincher, and Zorro Versalles lifted the team, Griffith went off to Minneapolis.

We remember that Bob Wolff introduced the team as "your Washington Nationals" for every broadcast...people (and Topps baseball cards) called them the Senators or Nationals, but we also called them the Nats.

Washington has had a professional baseball team called the Nationals since about 1870. Several incarnations of the NL Nats came and went, but they were still the Washington Nationals.

Walter Johnson is our player, our member of the first HoF class. Sam Rice and Bucky Harris, Joe Judge and Goose Goslin are our players. So was Cecil Travis and Roy Sievers and Mickey Vernon.

There are people on WNFF who saw the expansion Senators, who cheered Frank Howard and Mike Epstein, and who went to the 20th anniversary of the 1969 team, the Nasty Nats. Some of us grew up watching Mickey Vernon and Pete Runnels, Roy Sievers and Eddie Yost. Washington baseball.

The New New Nats started off just like a typical Washing5ton team, with lots of soul-cutting losses. The town wasn't meant for instant winners. For all the pain, for all the contempt outsiders poured on our Nats, it is so much better now that they are winning.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Then you obviously don't understand the history of the Expos.  They didn't bring in fans, but who would really want to watch ANY game at Olympic Stadium?  It was a crap hole, and that is putting it VERY NICELY.  Loria (Expos owner at the time) wanted a new stadium and didn't want to pay for it.  When that ended up not being in the cards, he and MLB decided to dissolve the team and farm system so he could buy the Marlins and MLB could find a new landing spot for the shell of a franchise.

Took five baseball weekends up there between 1994-2000 and saw it all, from the never-recognised 'best record in baseball' in 1994 to the sterile, empty-echoing Stade Olympique of the final years...from still having Rusty Staub's Restaurant and a KFC (PFK - Poulet Frit Kentucky) in-arena to practically nothing.

What I was able to enjoy, though, was club seats (equivalent to Presidents' Club seats at Nats Park - in one case looking straight up the battery) with drinks and food at your seat, all for just $22...best value for money in the history of MLB.

Offline HalfSmokes

Easily, team history = Nationals, city history = DC. Right now Stras and Gio are vying for the greatest season from a Nats pitcher (I couldn't care less about Pedro in 1997). Change the statement to city's history and Walter Johnson 1913 enters the debate

Offline Hogie

I do not like the straight dub.

Offline hammondsnats

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
:w: > W

The Curly-W and all-red is a "gift" from Bob Short. I tolerate it because we have a team again, but...

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
So I go to the team store today all pumped for a 1924 jersey and hat purchase......nowhere to be found.  All they had were the replica jerseys and couldn't find a 1924 fitted authentic hat anywhere.  The guy at the small merch stand near section 108 said they were getting the hats in soon.

It just kills me....the authentic game jerseys should be all over the stadium!!!  Whoever handles merchandise for this team is a moron.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
The jerseys are replica jerseys, they're cheap garbage. They said the same thing last year about the hats and they never came it. Try the MLB shop, they've got the jerseys up now.

Offline Coladar

The jerseys are replica jerseys, they're cheap garbage. They said the same thing last year about the hats and they never came it. Try the MLB shop, they've got the jerseys up now.

Yeah, I saw the Harper jersey for almost $200 there. No thanks.

I got lucky and went to the CF store Thursday. They had plenty of Stras, Gio, Zim and Ian. Zero Harper.

Ran to the homeplate store, they had two large left of Harper. Went in the next night, nothing left of anyone. Heard someone ask, they said they had sold out and wouldn't get anymore shipments.

So deeznats, I'd say you are SOL. Clearly they aren't going to be on the website for half price in August, just the opposite. They're halfway to twice the price. Obviously the fanbase is massive now. Likewise, MDS was talking about Grey Negro League TBs. Nothing against them, but my family did not grow up rooting for the Homestead Grey's. Likewise, I never felt compelled to buy the TB jersey. Its great they honor them, and they should do so in the future. But I feel the same connection with them I would have felt with Expos TBs. But since my great grandfather went to all seven WS 1924 games, I had to have these. Clearly that is a widespread opinion as the Senator's jerseys were gone in a day, whereas they couldnt give away Grey TBs .

I think your best bet is to hope they do another Senator night next year, because it looks like these jerseys got snatched up fast.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Actually, you're wrong.  Once they put the TBTC stuff on the MLB Shop page and it doesn't sell they start slashing the prices in August.  They did it last year, they did it the year before and they'll do it this year. 

Offline Coladar

Actually, you're wrong.  Once they put the TBTC stuff on the MLB Shop page and it doesn't sell they start slashing the prices in August.  They did it last year, they did it the year before and they'll do it this year. 

So you're saying the employee lied, they didn't sell out, and instead removed an item that was selling like hotcakes the night before to sell on the MLB shop? I can buy that MLB gets a certain amount to sell. I can likewise buy they liquidated Gray Jerseys that didn't sell after a month on the web. I don't buy they packed up every Senators throwback the next day to put on the web.

I would hope the jerseys don't sell at almost two hundred. But I can believe they sold out considering what I saw Thursday night. So that means they don't have all of those to liquidate
Clearly this is a different year with a different fanbase and a totally more popular TB jersey. I would not expect it to follow years past and go half price. Especially since the stores apparently sold out, and then MLB jacked the price up by 60 bucks. We will see, but I have my doubts these will ever go for under 70 bucks.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
So you're saying the employee lied, they didn't sell out, and instead removed an item that was selling like hotcakes the night before to sell on the MLB shop?

Pay attention before you start writing the next great AmeriKKKan novel.  I said that the ones on the MLB Shop that don't sell (which they won't there) will be half price in August.  Nobody said anything about anything related to the team store.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I got lucky and went to the CF store Thursday. They had plenty of Stras, Gio, Zim and Ian. Zero Harper.

I'm not a fan of the throwbacks in general so I wasn't in the market but I did find it interesting that the last Harper jersey was sold out while the racks were full for each of the other guys.  Personally I'd go with Gonzo if I were looking for a jersey.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
bullcrap

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
I never saw Authentic.  Only the really thin replicas.

When the Nats were in Balt; BALT had a Tbcd for 1970.  NATS TBTC SENATORS Replicas were sold at Nats park!  I got a #11 one at the end of the season (sale and season ticket holder coupon).  Btw, no names were on the back; just numbers.  Zimmerman & Brinkman wore 11!  My 2 favorites (second to Howard of course)!

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
Yeah, i'll just go ahead and buy one online I guess.  It was just disappointing that a couple days after the big throwback night they dont even have the damm stuff for sale....just terrible planning.

Can anyone commment on the difference in quality between the replica 1924s and the authentic?  Besides the fact that there is no name on the authentic ones, i'd assume the jersey itself is of better quality and the W on the sleeves should be nicer as well, correct?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
They're pretty crappy quality. I bought one of the ones from last year off of thr MLB shop and sent it back it was so piss poor.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: the Hats, I asked in the New Era shop by first base and they said they sold out fast and aren't getting any more.  I'm skeptical, but that's what I was told.

That was the case last year too, though the Nats aren't the only ones with that problem. Last year I tried to get my friend out in LA to get a Brooklyn Dodgers TBTC cap and they only got in 100 at the stadium.  Picked it up off the MLB shop on discount August 1st for 35% off.

Offline HalfSmokes

I'm definitely getting the hat- the replica hat I have now is so scratchy that it's unwearable - I wish twins enterprise/the franchise would make a throwback