Author Topic: July 5: Nats to wear 1924 throwback uniforms vs Giants  (Read 9332 times)

Offline blue911

They were really cheaply made when I looked at them. If i were single and has $225 to waste I could buy some crap that's going to fall apart or half an hour with Air Force Amy at Good Guys.  That's a no brainier.

They also looked really small. Maybe a wienie sized guy could fit into one, but not a real man.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
They also looked really small. Maybe a wienie sized guy could fit into one, but not a real man.

You saw how good they looked on Todd "Mountain Man" Coffey.  I'd like one but I'll wait for the MLB shop to cut them down to half price in August.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
I've got to remember that. I love throwback uniform games. I also think it would be cool for them to wear throwback Expos unis sometime. yes the series in Toronto was a good opportunity for that.

Offline raveoned

I've got to remember that. I love throwback uniform games. I also think it would be cool for them to wear throwback Expos unis sometime. yes the series in Toronto was a good opportunity for that.

It's a shame that the Canada Day game in Toronto is usually after the interleague games, because it would be a natural fit to wear the Expos unis against the Jays!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

:?

Offline raveoned

:?

Indeed.  What if you have a guy-sized weinie?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
As a graduate of Walter Johnson Hs, Id like something from that uni!

Offline Moore Athletic

There's a screenplay in Povich's story that has every Hollywood twist one could want.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I hope they do an Expos throwback night one day.

Offline hammondsnats

(Image removed from quote.)

this.

and i'm all for throwback days and what not, just not a fan of this particular jersey.  it's just so bland.  nothing on the front?  :?

but i will say it is from the WS year, so we've got that going for us.

Offline RL04

Never ceases to amaze how some fanboys insist on believing that the Nationals are somehow related to the Washington Senators instead of the Montreal Expos.

Offline hammondsnats

Never ceases to amaze how some fanboys insist on believing that the Nationals are somehow related to the Washington Senators instead of the Montreal Expos.

(Image removed from quote.)

washington as a city yes ... but the nats have cut ties with the expos for the most part. 

no offense but not many people that are nats fans b/c of the ties to DC give a crap about montreal. 

i like the fact they've honored some of the all-time greats (including dawson) and when a former expo died a few years back, players wore expos caps in BP in remembrance of him. 

but if we're talking throwbacks and what not, i'd rather go back to the time of DC baseball rather where the team relocated from.  just my two cents.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I'd like to point out the OKC Thunder doesn't give Seattle the time of day when it comes to "honoring" the Sonics.

Andre Dawson played for the Expos and had to be forced to go in as an Expo for reasons I don't understand.

Offline Obed_Marsh

I'd like to point out the OKC Thunder doesn't give Seattle the time of day when it comes to "honoring" the Sonics.

I've been to Oklahoma City so I can clearly understand citing them as a example of what not to do.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Andre Dawson played for the Expos and had to be forced to go in as an Expo for reasons I don't understand.

Longest service time team.

Offline Natskins

So it was a mistake for the Nats to wear Homestead Grays unis in recent years?

I'm fine with embracing the Expos as the franchise's history, and would find it cool for the team to wear Expos throwbacks once in a while. But at the same time, I think it's appropriate to embrace DC's baseball history.

For example, would anyone gripe if the Orioles decided to wear 1901 or 1902 'Baltimore Orioles' uniforms for a game, since that original Baltimore Orioles franchise is not related in any way to the current Orioles franchise-- which was previously the St. Louis Browns? I wouldn't think so.

Offline HalfSmokes

There was no continuity of ownership, the farm and rosters were so stripped under MLB ownership that there was little continuity on the roster- for all intents this was an expansion team, let Montreal preserve the expos' history

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
There was no continuity of ownership, the farm and rosters were so stripped under MLB ownership that there was little continuity on the roster- for all intents this was an expansion team, let Montreal preserve the expos' history

I agree - the next time the team in Montreal plays Toronto, let THEM wear the Expos throwbacks!

This Montreal history vs. DC history is one of the dumbest long-term debates since the Nats came back.  For all intents and purposes, maybe, but this wasn't an expansion team - it was a relocated team, regardless of the ownership, farm, or rosters.  Abdicating the franchise's history is silly.  It moved to a city that had a proud, if long-dusty, baseball history, some of whose citizens remember those days of their youth fondly.  Ignoring that history is equally silly.  Ignoring one or the other might also be less profitable.  :$$$:

My solution: Do both.  Wear DC throwbacks and Expos throwbacks.  Honor the Expos by talking about "Franchise" records and honor the DC history by talking about "DC" records.  Better yet, do both of those things and negotiate with the Rangers and Twins to recapture the DC part of their history, and incorporate it into the history.

This isn't marriage.  You don't have to be faithful to only one history.  Paying attention to both cheapens neither.

Offline HalfSmokes

When someone asks who the best hitter in the team's history is, how many people answer Dawson and how many people answer Zimmerman?  When people talk about the best season for a Nats pitcher, will Gio and Stras come to mind or Pedro? Aside from the former expos fans who followed the team, does anyone actually give a damn about expos history?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Pedro, more than Walter Johnson. 
:couch:

So, Connie Mack never owned the team in Oakland? Jimmy Fox is a Philly?  Joe Dimaggio played for the Giants because the Seals were part of San Fransisco history?

Offline DPMOmaha

Are the Giants turning back the clock too?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Don't know.

Replica Jerseys with Names and Numbers (Sacrilidge, they never had numbers much less than names) 125
Replica Jerseys with No Numbers or Names $100
Stretch fit caps ~$30
Fitted - where there but I don't wear fitted so I didn't get a price.
Womens adjustable replica hat - $25 (lower profile, strap in back instead ofv Stretch fit.

Offline Coladar

Don't know.

Replica Jerseys with Names and Numbers (Sacrilidge, they never had numbers much less than names) 125
Replica Jerseys with No Numbers or Names $100
Stretch fit caps ~$30
Fitted - where there but I don't wear fitted so I didn't get a price.
Womens adjustable replica hat - $25 (lower profile, strap in back instead ofv Stretch fit.

Awesome, thanks. I think i will pick up a Zimmerman throwback and bite the bullet and get both... A Harper All-Star BP. Haven't gotten any new Unis this year, and although I already have 20 or so different jerseys and then maybe five red jerseys of different players and two white ones, I can't resist picking up both. Aside from Homestead grays throwback, I've got every jersey they've ever sold, can't let $100 stop me now. For $125 for the throwback assuming it's not a total piece of crap as MDS seemed to indicate, it is doable. Now Harper just better make the damned allstar team.

As far as the Expos crap? This team is a DC team. Period. I think they have to wear Expos throwbacks next time in Toronto. But in the US, this is a DC team with DC's rich history. It doesn't hurt that after the 05 season almost no one from Montreal was left. And now even the Farms are devoid of any trace of Expo picks. There's just no connection to Expos history in the minds of nearly every Nats fan.

Example? It's like when they said HR 14 for Ian topped the most HRs by a franchise SS before the break, Cabrera having 13. I thought to myself who gives a crap. When was the last time a DC SS had as many HRs? Technically this team has the Expos history. But essentially no one gives a crap. It certainly doesn't help that nearly every Expo from 01-04 was already gone when the team moved here, and 05 the last gasp of Expos. Losing Castilla, Wilkerson, Video etc. In 05 we got Zimmerman. Guzman was an offseason acquisition. In April 2006 the Nationals had almost no ties left to Montreal. But even if they did, we would all feel this was a DC team.

Bottom line? To me, the National's history are the Expos just about as much as the Orioles were DC's team. Technically both were accurate, but in our hearts it just ain't the case.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
None of this debate - about Nats/Expos, Sonics/Thunder, any - would be occurring now if only Paul Tagliabue hadn't made the first-ever 'exception' back in the 1990's...when the first Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, he announced that Cleveland Browns history would remain in Cleveland and transfer to a subsequently formed second Cleveland Browns franchise...this despite clear continuity of franchise between Browns I and the Ravens (same owner, full transfer of player roster, Browns kicker Matt Stover still around for the Ravens Super Bowl etc). Absolutely unprecedented at the time, but now a major precedent of its own.

(What was so iconic about the Browns anyway? Of course they monopolised the AAFC in their 1946-49 salad days and dominated the NFL for much of the 1950's, and Paul Brown's playing and coaching ranks graduated NFL head coaches and management by the train-load, but their last title was in 1964 and all they were known for after that was the Dawg Pound and a number of playoff embarrassments.)

Naturally I am a strong advocate of studying DC baseball history (and a believer that the current Nats have not expended enough effort in that regard) - but this current Nationals franchise is indeed the relocated Expos and that part should be remembered as well. A sense of history, deployed along as many paths as possible, is always a good thing.