Author Topic: July 5: Nats to wear 1924 throwback uniforms vs Giants  (Read 9326 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
S
Speaking as an old Nationals/Senators fan, it might have been fun to see the team play in Toronto with the Expo uniforms.

That's not a bad idea at all.

The Expos were where my fandom started, I'd hate to see them disappear forever. 

Unless they get another franchise it's already a done deal.

Offline DPMOmaha

Doesn't have to be.

Offline Count Walewski

The Nationals are the Expos. A uniform and name change won't eliminate decades of history.

The team has a choice between embracing its past, or ignoring it because it happened to be in another city. Currently it is choosing the former. I've never been to Montreal, and I don't speak a word of French, but I think the Expos were a cool team who wore cool uniforms, and I hope to see the team embrace that part of its past in the future.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
As I"ve said before.  The history stays in the City it was created in.  The Senators never won a WS in Minnesota and did not go to the WS in Texas.

Offline Count Walewski

I guess I don't understand why somebody wouldn't want to inherit the Expos's history. I understand somewhat if you are an old time DC native and don't want the Senators history to be lost. But the Nats don't have problems with putting up the names of great players from FOUR different franchises up behind home plate.

What is the issue with saying "yes, this team has history with three previous teams"? Celebrating one of those doesn't demean the others.

Offline spidernat

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
I'm curious, other than Desi and Bernie is anyone even left from the Expos organization? Espinosa?

BTW, like the throwbacks - vintage nice

Offline sportsfan882

I'm curious, other than Desi and Bernie is anyone even left from the Expos organization? Espinosa?

Espy was drafted by Bowden.

Devin Ivany is still in the organization and he was drafted by Montreal.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
As I"ve said before.  The history stays in the City it was created in.  The Senators never won a WS in Minnesota and did not go to the WS in Texas.

+1

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

Is that it? Any coaches left?

Offline HalfSmokes

The Nationals are the Expos. A uniform and name change won't eliminate decades of history.

Agree to disagree on that

Offline NatsDad14

Balester

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Balester is now with Detroit.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
love the unis. :az:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Offline spidernat

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Yeah, he was DFA'd.  No one picked him up so he's with the AAA in Toledo.  Only advantage to that is he's close to some relatives.  The nameplates from the clubhouse were on sale at NATS park.  I almost bought his.  Also had his Jersey too. :,(

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

Atahualpa Severino is still in the organisation too.

And as far as fans - I went to five Expos series from 1994-2000...club seats for just $22, best value for money in the history of MLB.

Offline Coladar

They were putting out the jerseys today at the team store.

Any clue how much they are? I'm debating between this and getting an All-Star jersey. I don't have a Harper jersey yet, so I'd kill to have a 2012 all-star #34 jersey. Assuming of course he makes it, which I honestly don't see how it would be possible he doesn't.

Likewise these jerseys are prolly a one time thing, once they sell out that's all folks. And the all-star jerseys are a July only thing too. If the throwbacks are $225 or so, it'll make up my mind for me. If not, I've got a hard choice this week.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
The ones last year were kind of cheapy even for the official version. Besides, you can usually get all of those at a deep discount in August when they haven't moved any of it on the MLB shop.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Hmmmm ... I'd love to get a Harper throwback jersey ...

Offline blue911

The ones last year were kind of cheapy even for the official version. Besides, you can usually get all of those at a deep discount in August when they haven't moved any of it on the MLB shop.

The jerseys I saw had a '70's polyester look.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
The jerseys I saw had a '70's polyester look.

They were really cheaply made when I looked at them. If i were single and has $225 to waste I could buy some crap that's going to fall apart or half an hour with Air Force Amy at Good Guys.  That's a no brainier.

Offline Coladar

Hmmmm ... I'd love to get a Harper throwback jersey ...

Best of both worlds, true.

And to MDS, I'd assumed/hoped they'd be authentic jerseys. Sounds like the price will be what I want, but the quality won't. I wouldn't  be caught dead in one of the fakey, ironed on patch replica trash. I've got a Livo and Zim all-star BP jersey, and they're well made. Looks like I will just wait to see if Bryce makes it,  and if not flip a coin between Stras and Ian.