Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88113 times)

Offline houston-nat

Considering the Nats would be the last team to get a crack at him, you're likely right.

Pretty sure I just found you on Twitter. Hilarious handle.

Offline Bloo

Good job Rizzo. The objective was to keep the brotherhood together. Its just cruise control from here on out.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I really think the playoff chances went down the toilet by standing pat

Online blue911

Good job Rizzo. The objective was to keep the brotherhood together. Its just cruise control from here on out.

Yeah, Flores has been in stealth mode just to freak with the rest of baseball. Now they are going to unleash the kraken.

Offline hammondsnats

I really think the playoff chances went down the toilet by standing pat

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Yeah, Flores has been in stealth mode just to freak with the rest of baseball. Now they are going to unleash the kraken.

this requires a picture of Liam Neeson.

Offline JMW IV

Offline PANatsFan

(Image removed from quote.)

Serious - also Mark Lerner's moronic quote made me throw up in my mouth. Unless the plan is to wait for salary dumps in August, this was some poor decision making.

Online blue911

this requires a picture of Liam Neeson.

I'm on a mobile device

Offline PANatsFan

I'm on a mobile device

How do you power your Commodore 64 while riding your bike?

Offline JMW IV

Serious - also Mark Lerner's moronic quote made me throw up in my mouth. Unless the plan is to wait for salary dumps in August, this was some poor decision making.

what quote

Offline hammondsnats

:clap: / sanity *

*it feels good saying that too. 

i'm telling you, i don't want to hear the fans who said we don't have holes nag if we don't make the playoffs.

Online Mattionals

I think this makes the most sense.  The big holes for the team are a real catcher, a backup IF not named DeRosa or Carlos Rivero, and a top line pitcher rental to replace Strasburg.  Outside of Dempster which comes with a bit of "can he continue to pitch THIS well?" and Greinke who cost WAY TOO MUCH for just a rental, I think the options out there were kinda bland.  Scutaro would have been nice but no big deal.  No really good catchers on the market for a rental, and I think someone like Shoppach or a big contract catcher could be had in the next month.

Even baseball analysts really can't find much of a fault of the Nats standing pat, considering that in about a week, the Nats will actually have the "ideal" roster with all the big names on it once Werth comes back.  We will see what happens once he returns.

Offline hammondsnats

the nats will not have the ideal roster.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

How do you power your Commodore 64 while riding your bike?

Even I know what that means.    :rofl:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
the nats will not have the ideal roster.
Who does?

No one actually has a perfect roster. You just try to cover as many holes as possible.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
The Nats needed a back-up catcher and MI. I am confident that those are things that can clear waivers. Would Thames, Snider, Victorino, or Pence been an offensive upgrade over Morse, Harper, or Werth? Was there an infielder other than Mr. ICanSeeYou that is better than Espinosa, Desmond, or Zimmerman and he might not even be with his 1.7 WAR compared to 3.6 for Desmond, 2.4 for Zimmerman, and 2.0 for Espinosa. Health will help the Nats more than any trade would have when you consider the guys who were moved. The only guy that would have upgraded the Nats is Greinke and the Nats didn't have the ML ready short stop they wanted and the Angels did.

Who is Mr.ICanSeeYou?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Hanley.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
In a way it's demeaning... as if Smithian thinks he's a better fan because he doesn't question the FO.

We're all equal here. We all want the Nats to go 162-0. No one is better than anyone else.

I sat and thought about this as I was watching us get pounded by the Philthies - I don't think this is the case.  I don't think Smithian thinks he's superior to you, hammonds or anyone else who questions the FO.  I think you're looking to make things personal.

On top of that, if someone were to take up Smithian on the bet, I don't view that as "rooting against the Nats."  You are supposed to gamble with your head and not your heart. 

So, with that said, I would like to take Smithian up on his bet because I think once Strasburg reaches his limit and Zimmermann gets to 180 or so innings and starts to lose his control, this team is in big, big trouble.  It's so imperative that we win the division so we don't burn Gio in a play-in game.  I also don't think Werth was on the tear that Kentuck Nationals thinks he was on when he went down and adding him is more likely to cause problems than solve them (and I am a big fan of Werth).  I think LaRoch started hot and now he's back to being the decent 1B he's been his whole career but nothing special enough to warrant relying on him.

Again, not rooting against the Nats but it seems like there is writing on the wall.

My opinion changes if we make a waiver trade for a good bat or a starter like Cliff Lee or something...

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I sat and thought about this as I was watching us get pounded by the Philthies - I don't think this is the case.  I don't think Smithian thinks he's superior to you, hammonds or anyone else who questions the FO.  I think you're looking to make things personal.

On top of that, if someone were to take up Smithian on the bet, I don't view that as "rooting against the Nats."  You are supposed to gamble with your head and not your heart. 
Yup. I think we're all Nats fans and I don't think an avatar bet will have someone like hammonds or Linty on the last game of the season cheering against the Nats. On the reverse, if we miss the playoffs, the smallest of my concerns will be an avatar bet. It's just for fun.

So, with that said, I would like to take Smithian up on his bet because I think once Strasburg reaches his limit and Zimmermann gets to 180 or so innings and starts to lose his control, this team is in big, big trouble.  It's so imperative that we win the division so we don't burn Gio in a play-in game.  I also don't think Werth was on the tear that Kentuck Nationals thinks he was on when he went down and adding him is more likely to cause problems than solve them (and I am a big fan of Werth).  I think LaRoch started hot and now he's back to being the decent 1B he's been his whole career but nothing special enough to warrant relying on him.

Again, not rooting against the Nats but it seems like there is writing on the wall.

My opinion changes if we make a waiver trade for a good bat or a starter like Cliff Lee or something...
I'm much less confident in my bet than I was before getting azz pounded in a game the Nats started DeRosa, but I'm not going to wuss out after one game.

My offer is 20 or 30 days (your call) of a specific avatar and the writing underneath. I win if the Nats make a playoff, I lose if we miss. If the Nats miss you get the joy of watching me sport an avatar of your choice. Bet obviously off if we make a good waiver wire addition or we have a big injury to a guy like ZNN, Zimmerman, or Morse. We'll let a third poster decide whether the waiver wire pickup or injury invalidates the bet.

Here is the avatar I would want you to use if the Nats make the playoffs;

"JESUS FLORES MVP"

(I think the whole assclown avatar is played out but if you want to go that way instead of HRod or DeRosa, your decision)

Offline Glockypoo

Rizzo will be on 106.7 at 11:30 this morning if you guys feel like raging.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Rizzo will be on 106.7 at 11:30 this morning if you guys feel like raging.

So Mike, has Big Dick Richie called you back yet?

Offline Glockypoo

:stir:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Digging the avatar