Author Topic: The Whole Ballpark Experience: Nats vs Os  (Read 2772 times)

Offline farnick

The Whole Ballpark Experience: Nats vs Os
« Topic Start: June 24, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »
I went to the Nats/Os game in Baltimore last night, and came away with a fresh perspective on the whole ballpark experience and what the Nats need to do to make things better.  Some suggestions:

1.  Dump the Nat Pack, Clint in particular.  I and my seatmates do not feel any connection between Clint and the fans, and while he's got a great arm and is relatively good looking, he doesn't add anything to the game's enjoyment.

2.  Dump the between-innings games like Toss the Sausage, Pizza Toss, and other b/s games like that.  Yes, they're supposed to be marketing tools that bring in money, but I've never seen Flippin' Pizza or Nicks Sausages in the stores or franchises.  In Baltimore, they stick with fun, well-animated and well-produced spots like Bloopers (we NEVER see them in DC), baseball shuffle (the one I saw last night was 3 crabs with a seagull or pelican that added to the scramble -- great fun!), Guess The Year, and a live FAN OF THE GAME...not this prerecorded crap with ADD kids looking like they've just been TASERed. 

3.  The Racing Presidents have run their course.  Yes, they are iconic to DC, but it's predictable, it's boring, and it's stale.  Teddy ALWAYS loses by some costumed thing jumping out and tackling him.  Let's get the running First Ladies in high heels.  THAT would be fun!

Just a few ideas, but now that the team is doing so well, let's step up the class!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: The Whole Ballpark Experience: Nats vs Os
« Reply #1: June 24, 2012, 12:30:28 PM »
A positive for Nats Park is on hot days you can get a small cup of just ice for free.  At Oriole Park they only had the big paper cups and charged you for the ice.  I bring a waterbottle or tumbler to games.  They WILL fill up your own cup!

I love the Crab Shuffle.  We used to have something similar with Hard Times Cafe washtubs. 

Actually in 2005 the presidents race was animated.  Btw how different is arranging for Mustard to win at the last minute by pogo sticking forward then it is for Tom to win or whoever.  Agree the Teddy thing has run its course.

I don't mind Clint pre-game.  The games are Minor league.  Tshirt Toss is ok.  Caps do it.  Just come up to the upper deck at least once a game!  I think they stopped throwing things to upper deck because of what happened to the fan in Texas.

Agree.  Fan of the game should be someone in the stands

Copy cat:

Dempsey's Pub = Red Porch
HD screen upgraded after ours
Outfield area has an eating place.  Hemmed just like our scoreboard walk area

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: June 24, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
Do some of you really dislike the Nat Pack that much? When I'm at the game I don't even notice them because I'm usually talking with the people I'm with about the game.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #3: June 24, 2012, 12:34:44 PM »
For what is worth, you have the Obed Marsh seal of approval. :mg:

Although I fully expect the racing presidents to be a timeless torturous ritual while holding out hope they will eventually rotate them and Teddy won't lose for eternity like some post modern Sisyphus.

Write the team or start some online petitions. Perhaps someone will listen who can do something about it.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #4: June 24, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
Do some of you really dislike the Nat Pack that much? When I'm at the game I don't even notice them because I'm usually talking with the people I'm with about the game.

:clap:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #5: June 24, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »
The O's park sucks. Our park is almost fantastic. I demand a giant baseball even if it was originally a stand in for some unfortunate marketing proposal.

If they could replace some of that in between innings crap with something less annoying it would be a nice bonus but it doesn't really impact my enjoyment of the game since I don't watch it anyway if I can help it.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #6: June 24, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
What is annoying (but can't be helped) is having a group of people in front of you talk for 4 freaking innings about barbecues, US citizenship, PBS, etc. and then in the 9th they turn to ask me a question about the game.  :bang:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #7: June 24, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »
2 kids sat in front of me last night.

Kid 1 - Harper shirt - Orioles Cap
Kid 2 - Orioles shirt - Nats Hat

Kid one sometimes rooted for both teams  (He was young, about 7 or 8).
Kid two rooted for the O's (then why the Nats cap?)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: June 24, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »
we need to build a warehouse behind RF.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: June 24, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
we need to build a warehouse behind RF.

Nah, just one big bicycle garage for MDS and Ali.

Offline farnick

« Reply #10: June 24, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »
We had a young boy a section over who was in (no lie) full DRAG.  The kid couldn't have been more than 10 years old, in a gold wig with glitter and orange and black finger nail polish.

Start 'em young, I say!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #11: June 24, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »
What is annoying (but can't be helped) is having a group of people in front of you talk for 4 freaking innings about barbecues, US citizenship, PBS, etc. and then in the 9th they turn to ask me a question about the game.  :bang:

I want to kill all of those people. Sme freaking clowns were talking up a storm about work the other day and I blasted them right in the face.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #12: June 24, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
I went to the Nats/Os game in Baltimore last night, and came away with a fresh perspective on the whole ballpark experience and what the Nats need to do to make things better.  Some suggestions:

1.  Dump the Nat Pack, Clint in particular.  I and my seatmates do not feel any connection between Clint and the fans, and while he's got a great arm and is relatively good looking, he doesn't add anything to the game's enjoyment.

2.  Dump the between-innings games like Toss the Sausage, Pizza Toss, and other b/s games like that.  Yes, they're supposed to be marketing tools that bring in money, but I've never seen Flippin' Pizza or Nicks Sausages in the stores or franchises.  In Baltimore, they stick with fun, well-animated and well-produced spots like Bloopers (we NEVER see them in DC), baseball shuffle (the one I saw last night was 3 crabs with a seagull or pelican that added to the scramble -- great fun!), Guess The Year, and a live FAN OF THE GAME...not this prerecorded crap with ADD kids looking like they've just been TASERed. 

3.  The Racing Presidents have run their course.  Yes, they are iconic to DC, but it's predictable, it's boring, and it's stale.  Teddy ALWAYS loses by some costumed thing jumping out and tackling him.  Let's get the running First Ladies in high heels.  THAT would be fun!

Just a few ideas, but now that the team is doing so well, let's step up the class!

No. Just no.

Screw Baltimore.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #13: June 24, 2012, 06:41:46 PM »
There are a few things about OPACY that I really like. For example, the concessions people are super nice and super efficient even when the crowds are big. No Clint or Nats Pak. Easy to get ice. Tons of condiments. I know that seems like a weird thing to think high of but nothing sucks nuts more than getting a hot dog and there being no mustard, ketchup, onions, or relish. OPACY has that on a lockdown.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #14: June 24, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »

The Nat Pack hardly ever turn up in the 300 level anyway so, as far as the TBSITH neighbourhood is concerned, they really aren't an issue one way or another.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #15: June 24, 2012, 06:53:44 PM »
We had a young boy a section over who was in (no lie) full DRAG.  The kid couldn't have been more than 10 years old, in a gold wig with glitter and orange and black finger nail polish.

Start 'em young, I say!

A young PANatsFan taking in a game at OPACY.  :lmao:

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #16: June 24, 2012, 06:58:34 PM »

I used to have that problem back in the RFK days - in 2005 I sat behind a law-firm allocation, and in the latter two seasons I had a couple of bozos on a half-season plan who did nothing but talk at stentorian volume about their real-estate investments. It's because of such people (and corporate/political foofs generally) that I have no desire to ever sit in the field-level or club/suite seats at Nats Park.

No such problem at TBSITH today (for one thing, TBSITH is a front-row seat)!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #17: June 24, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
I called into a Baltimore radio show this morning to talk #MASNCup and they asked me to compare and contrast Nats Park and OPACY, I of course represented for Nats Park being better due to the wide open concourses so that you are never far from the action, they had no response.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #18: June 24, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »
(for one thing, TBSITH is a front-row seat)!

So now you're the annoying one to the people on the second row that talks like he's from England?  :lol:

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #19: June 24, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »
So now you're the annoying one to the people on the second row that talks like he's from England?  :lol:

If they've had any issues with that, they've never made them known to me. Pretty congenial all round, actually.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #20: June 24, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
:rofl: The crap we were talking about the other day, and you blasted a conversation about work? :D

I want to kill all of those people. Sme freaking clowns were talking up a storm about work the other day and I blasted them right in the face.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #21: June 24, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »
Some things at the Park are better than others, but I don't think I'd get rid of the racing presidents. I don't love them, but a lot of people do.

I would get rid of the stupid between-inning contests. And Clint doing his MC thing.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #22: June 24, 2012, 07:19:46 PM »
Some things at the Park are better than others, but I don't think I'd get rid of the racing presidents. I don't love them, but a lot of people do.[...]

How many matchgoers in the 300's deal with this: use the Racing Presidents interval for going to the loo and/or getting beer/food. I avail myself of this opportunity quite often myself.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: June 24, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »
There are a few things about OPACY that I really like. For example, the concessions people are super nice and super efficient even when the crowds are big. No Clint or Nats Pak. Easy to get ice. Tons of condiments. I know that seems like a weird thing to think high of but nothing sucks nuts more than getting a hot dog and there being no mustard, ketchup, onions, or relish. OPACY has that on a lockdown.

horseradish at Boog's condiment bar.  Brisket with horseradish.  Reminds me of pesach except for the buns, the beans, and the beer. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #24: June 24, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »
The sliced onions are a really good touch.