Author Topic: HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY TITLE IX  (Read 899 times)

Offline RD

Re: HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY TITLE IX
« Topic Start: June 24, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »
It absolutely is not a myth that it has a direct effect on mens sports and their numbers.

This is something that is what Title IX has been based on. At schools with a football program, cutting mens sports is step #1 when it comes to complying with this rule.

My school cut its baseball program because of Title IX and I lost my scholarship after my junior season because of it.

They expanded their women's soccer and swimming teams on top of it. Budget wasn't an issue either, despite them claiming so. They began building a women's lockerroom just for soccer right after baseball was axed. Football and basketball don't even have their own lockerrooms. Baseball didn't get to use ANY lockerrooms, period. But no AD or school official is going to go on record criticizing Title IX as the sole reason for getting rid of a sport.

Most schools have more women's sports than men's sports, because of football. There is no single women's sport that requires as many athletes as football does, which makes this rule horribly out of place and inaccurate.

Im all for womens opportunities in sports. I have a daughter, and would love for sports to be an avenue for a free education. However, it has become unfair for male athletes that dont play football. Thats not a myth.