Author Topic: Hope yall hungry....  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Mth202

Hope yall hungry....
« Topic Start: June 22, 2012, 04:51:06 PM »
I heard we're eating birds tonight fellas, I like mine fried by the way.... I know there are a lot of threads about this, but how many of you all grew up with the O's as your fav team? I have to say being only 20, I am one of the guilty ones. When they tried to keep us from having a team, I was more interested in holding hands with Jasmine on our daily library walks in 1st and 2nd grade. Point is I was too young to know any of the above going on, I just knew I liked sports and the Os were the closest baseball team. Now when we got our team I wasn't even watching baseball. I got so fed up with having to root for another city that it got boring. Id watch every now and then but didn't come back to the baseball world til about a couple years ago. MY favorite team will always be the Nats. But some part inside of me wants the O's  to do good this season. Not against us at all though, but Im pulling for a Nationals O's world series, which means though Im not watching any of the games, Ill be pulling for them because unfortunately they were my first love of baseball. Thats in the past though... The best parts of my days are still when Im on my way in from work with no prior knowledge to the score, get to Lenfant Plaza and ask anyone with a W on if we won, and when they say yes I get pretty pumped lol..... So the whole point of this is how many of you grew up Os fans. IF not why do you dislike them so much? Do you frown upon anyone who says they were once an Os fan?

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

Re: Hope yall hungry....
« Reply #1: June 22, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »
I had a big lunch, so I'm not that hungry, no.

Kids don't know any better, man.  I heard co-workers today talking Nats and Orioles ; biggest discussion point being the Nats. The tide has turned. Even saw random Yankees fans at the game last night, maybe they were impressed last weekend for whatever reason.

Offline Mth202

« Reply #2: June 22, 2012, 05:07:06 PM »
Yea we're slowly taking over.....the more we do good the more we're gonna branch off from them. crap maybe we'll get out own station.... That masn stuff kills me like thats been their thing, give us ours

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #3: June 22, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
I'm one of those who was so frustrated by the Senators moving to that big state in the middle of the country that starts with a T and has a big X in it somewhere. I was 6/7 when they left. :D Partly do to that I grew up being mostly a football fan. I ocassionally followed the O's since they were the closest team around and had guys like Boog Powel and the Robinson 'Brothers" Brooks and Frank in the past and guys like Jim Palmer then some kid named Ripken started making noise. I didn't follow baseball much until a few years before Montreal made noise about becoming a DC team. Ironically even though I didn't follow the sport too much I still collected the cards until around the mid1990s sort of stopped for a while then got hard back into those also. :mg:
Think I'm here to stay with Baseball, Nats and their silly cards.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #4: June 22, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »
BTW I think that bird tonight will have a bit of old bay fishy type of spice to it.  :lmao:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: June 22, 2012, 05:30:57 PM »
So the whole point of this is how many of you grew up Os fans. IF not why do you dislike them so much? Do you frown upon anyone who says they were once an Os fan?

Did not grow up an O's fan. I dislike them because they tried to claim to be my hometeam when DC and VA were trying to bring a real hometeam to town. I don't frown upon current or former Orioles fans.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: June 22, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »
I don't pull for them at all. freak the birds. I hope they take it in the ass every game. I don't want to see them in the playoffs much less the world series.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #7: June 22, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
Lol, this is the same O's team that made the Nats look awful. Nice to see some people be confident

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #8: June 22, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
Lol, this is the same O's team that made the Nats look awful. Nice to see some people be confident

2 one run games and a blowout for the Nats?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #9: June 22, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »
I don't pull for them at all. freak the birds. I hope they take it in the ass every game. I don't want to see them in the playoffs much less the world series.

I hate the O's, but not as much as I hate the Steelers :lol: no offense to any towel waving dingbats that may or may not frequent this board ;) I guess I just hate Baltimore even though that city alone keeps me gainfully employed.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #10: June 22, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »
So the whole point of this is how many of you grew up Os fans. IF not why do you dislike them so much? Do you frown upon anyone who says they were once an Os fan?

I grew up despising the Orioles and the Colts, rooting for the Nats and the Redskins. I welcome Washingtonians, who had no choice, to their true team.

Offline Mth202

« Reply #11: June 22, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »
lol wow pure hatred at its finest, I know the more I look into it the less I root. But I figure if we're going to play anybody in the world series for the AL I want it to be the Os. I was too young to know they were keeping us from a team. But A Beltway World Series would be great for this area in my opinion. IF we were to ever start losing "knocks on wood" I probably wouldnt care about them. Hell I laughed so hard when I heard a Community College beat them. But as the season went along noticed them.

Online Slateman

« Reply #12: June 22, 2012, 06:41:52 PM »
I was an O's fan. Then Peter Angelos

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #13: June 22, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »
I always rooted for the AL except when the Lordly Yankees ('50s) were in the WS. Made an exception in 1969. Fun to be in NYC, look at the player matchups, read that no team with Don Clendenon and Tommy Agee deserved to step onto the same field as the Baltimore Immortals...and see Baltimore collapse.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #14: June 22, 2012, 07:36:09 PM »
I was a Senators fan in 69.  Taken away in 71.  Became an Os fan because Once I caught Baseball Fever, there was no cure!  Grew up watching Boog, Grich, Belanger, Brooksie and Etchebarren.  Also watched Eddie, Dauer or Billy, Cal, and various 3rd basemen!

Was disappointed when we were supposed to get San Diego and again when we were supposed to get Houston.  I went to Natsfests and the 1969 Senators Reunion Breakfast!  I never lost my desire for DC to get a team.  Still a faithful member of the Washington Baseball Historical Society!

I was at an Os game wearing an Expos T shirt when it was announced that Dc would be getting a team!  I wrote I dont lnow how many emails to the DC CITY COUNCIL for the stadium to be built!  Wrote letters to Selig and Angelos too!

Became a Ripken fan from about 1987.  Attended his induction on 2007!

Do I still like the Os?  Yes but not against the Nats!  The team I worked so hard to get here.  NOW that they're here!  Its the Nats to Stay!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #15: June 22, 2012, 07:48:23 PM »
My first live sporting event was Senators vs Red Sox at DC Stadium, 1963...when I returned here for good in 1977 the Senators were of course long gone (plenty of rumours though surrounding the Giants, Astros etc moving here)...but the Washington in which I spent my first 27+ years of my current residency was a non-MLB town and I had no rooting interest in baseball (apart from an occasional nostalgic twinge for the Dodgers, since I had spent much of my childhood in southern California), and I'd satisfy my periodic baseball munchies with sports tourism (Montreal, Boston, old Yankee Stadium, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Minnesota - something I really couldn't do nowadays because of the ghastly airfares). Never supported the Orioles - I don't support Baltimore teams, any more than I support Philadelphia teams or New York teams or Cleveland teams or whatever - because I don't reside there.

Now I've got the Nats and am a charter STH there...may it always remain thus!

Offline Mth202

« Reply #16: June 22, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Yea I understand you all. As long as everyone knows whos better ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #17: June 22, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
Waiter, there was a hair in my bird soup. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #18: June 22, 2012, 10:57:50 PM »
Crow Sandwich

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #19: June 22, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »
Oh, not crow...ANYTHING but Crow.

(Where is that punk these days, anyways?  Still a Royale?)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #20: June 22, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
Never, I repeat, NEVER count on this team to beat the O's.

Offline Mth202

« Reply #21: June 23, 2012, 03:31:14 AM »
Theres always next game ;)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #22: June 23, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »
Never once rooted for the Os despite growing up in the area in the 70s/80s. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #23: June 23, 2012, 10:46:06 AM »
Oriole Bird - Tastes just like Chicken!  ;)

Offline In the Dark

« Reply #24: June 24, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
Once the Senators left town, I really tried to like the Orioles, but they are Baltimore's team, and I am from DC.  I just couldn't do it.  I ended up rooting more for players that I liked to watch rather than one particular team, but after a few years, it left me feeling like a person with no real ties.  It's nice to be able to root for a team that represents my hometown.  And Nats Park feels like home.